Inevitable Conflict? A First World War AAR

Inevitable Conflict? The British Fight the Great War

Prologue - Part One

The Fateful Building

Europe was about to descend into chaos.

Although the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand had happened almost a month beforehand, Austria-Hungary had decided to wait until it had received a ‘blank cheque’ from her ally - the German Empire - to act against her neighbour, Serbia.

On July 24th, Prime Minister Kan’ Sharuminar’s government listened to Sir Edward Grey’s report on the situation. It came down to a basic point - if Serbia was attacked, Russia would come to the aid of her Slavic brothers. This would force Germany to declare war on Russia, which in turn would cause France to declare war on Germany. This left two wildcards, Italy on the side of the Central Powers, and Great Britain on the side of the Entende.

The report was largely ignored. It was a Friday afternoon, and Parliament had just sat through a long day regarding Irish Home Rule. At present, an upcoming war in Europe could be left to the continental powers, Britain had no need to join such a conflict - after all, she had an empire to run - her forces were stretched enough, and she had learned her lessons about getting involved in such things over a century ago with the Napoleonic Wars…

Prologue - Part Two

British-German relations were high. Both wanted the British Empire to stay out of the war. Both had too much to lose, both were too closely related to each other. One plan changed all that…

The Schlieffen Plan

It was a perfect plan. Dismiss the French defences, violate the Belgian neutrality, take Paris, force a surrender and concentrate on the Russians. On paper it looked fool-proof - in the hands of the military chiefs and the governments it was a different tale - but that is for another story.

For Britain, this was an inexcusable offence. A German offensive into Belgium threatened the entire French northern front. The threat of it’s fall meant German access to the English Channel! The mere thought of German soldiers a mere 40 miles from England ended the desire for peace. Crowds in Trafalgar Square demanded that the government obligate their duties, declare war on Germany and obligate their duties to the Entende.

Now war is declared - and battle come down

Britain could not stand aside…

Scenario: Trip's First World War Scenario
Player: Prime Minister Kan’ Sharuminar
Nation: British Empire
Difficulty: Noble
Outlook: Doomed

invade at calais because umm... yah do it

Part One: August 1914

Even Parliament and the British Crown were surprised at the great celebrations that occurred across the Empire as a response to war. Perhaps underestimating the growing crisis across the continent, Prime Minister Kan Sharuminar declared that “the war shall be over by Christmas!”

The immediate concern was the Mediterranean. The Ottoman Empire - the so-called ‘sick man of Europe’ had declared they had joined the Allied Powers against Britain. Perhaps to reclaim some of their former empire in Egypt? It was unknown. Regardless, Britain had to respond quickly. From Egypt, five infantry divisions joined forces and began the long march towards Gaza in Operation: Scythe. The fleet were also quick to take part, as they engaged the Turkish Navy and prepared for a bombardment of Gaza.

The first British engagement of the war.

Some good news came from the region though, as Italy declared that their alliance with the Allies was defensive only, and that they did not intend to join the fighting. Thus, Britain was free to concentrate her force on the eastern Mediterranean against the Ottomans.

Meanwhile, back on the British Isles, the First Expeditionary Force had been created and were sailing towards France. No definite plans had been set, though it was widely assumed they would defend the northern flank, possibly even striking into Belgium.

Parliament were divided on a key issue though - the more hawkish members demanded that all reserves be sent, claiming that the islands could be defended by the Imperial Navy alone. Indeed, already German submarines had been sunk by British destroyers.

A German U-Boat is destroyed

The debate raged, and was not expected to be concluded any time soon. At the very least, it was decided to wait to see how the first wave of reinforcements fared in France. They had a difficult job, as the Germans were already invading the Belgian nation…

The Schlieffen Plan in action

September - October 1914

The concentrated assault into Belgium throughout the end of August meant almost total success. Neither France, and certainly not Britain, could send reinforcements. Brussels fell at the start of September, effectively ending Belgian participation at this stage of the war.

Despite this setback, it had been expected, and the Entende continued to mobilise their troops against the coming storm. As the British Expeditionary Force landed south of Calais, the French army moved to hold back the initial invasion.

The French charge to the front!

Britain was not completely inactive during this period. The Battle of the North Sea was fought, in which the combined armadas of Britain and France wiped out the small fleets of Germany that dared venture outside of German waters. The Admiralty came to the conclusion that the enemy navy would be of little concern in the future - not because it was eradicated, but because they would be too scared to leave port!

In the Middle-East, Operation: Scythe was in full swing. Gaza fell under siege after the fast British swing east, and battle commenced in October. After a disastrous initial British infantry charge, the remaining forces regrouped and attacked the city more slowly, taking advantage of their superior numbers, quality, and a battleship parked nearby…

Perfect propaganda picture

The operation was not completely over though. Turkish infantry was spotted marching from the east. It was unsure if these were intended to reinforce the Gaza defenders, or to launch a counter-attack.

To the north though, the Ottoman Empire was proving it had teeth. It’s fleet set sail in an attempt to wrest control of the Black Sea from Russia. In addition, Operation: Brigade was launched into the Caucasus - particularly towards the Russian city of Batumi. British Intelligence believed however, that the city was too well defended and that the attack would be repelled.

However, British attention was rudely forced back towards western Europe as the Germans began their invasion of France. Before the BEF had any chance of reinforcing the city, Reims fell after the most unimpressive of fights. From this, it was obvious where the bulk of the BEF would have to fall…

The deepening crisis.

Kan's note: apologies for such short time spans, real-life issues are holding me back, curse them! :p

Wow! Seems exactly as my current game of the World War 1 scenario is going. Germany has conquered those same 2 cities.

AlCosta said:
Wow! Seems exactly as my current game of the World War 1 scenario is going. Germany has conquered those same 2 cities.

Who are you playing as?

In my first game a month ago they did the same, which historically makes sense. Last time we managed to kick them out fairly smartish, but this time they're a lot more defended :(

Of course, in my first game I forgot to defend my transports and the entire BEF found themselves a new home at the bottom of the Channel :lol:

I'm playing as Austria-Hungary. My economy is collapsing on itself, I'm losing Infantry by the turn. Still, I've managed to capture Brest from the Russians. I've also used most of my military to take all of Serbia except for Skopje. I wish I had the time to write a story, it would've been awesome. I only have a destroyer, and Italy's being an @$$ about Open Borders, so I''m stuck in my home borders. It wouldn't have mattered, I know the British fleet would've destroyed me. The one thing I've seen by the AI is a lack of an Eastern Front war. The Germans captured one city from the Russians, and the Russians took it back. I haven't seen anything since. Now, the Russians are using reserve forces against Brest and the Germans. It's looking very, very bad for the Central Powers.

Yeah, I noticed a complete lack of Eastern Front by the Germans as well, it was a complete stalemate...I'm hoping for something better this time.

What year is it for you at the moment. Austria-Hungary collapsing in on itself sounds fairly accurate :p , IIRC they had some trouble taking Serbia until they got Bulgaria to join in. Though WW1 is not my area of expertise.

And I wouldn't waste your efforts on the Italians. :mischief:

Right now I'm on turn 7. Hopefully, the German defenses in Koinesberg give Russia a good fight, because if they turn their attention on me, I'm screwed. All my troops are in the South fighting Serbia, I figured they should be my first priority. I'm not going to waste my time on the Italians until I get rid of the Serbians, and also until Russia is beaten back a little, it would also help if the Germans either A) establish an Eastern Front or B) capture Paris, and then I might help my allies in France. Maybe I can take a city or 2! But, right now my priority is to beat the Serbians, keep the Italians happy, fight the Russians, and re-establish my economy with cottages. (I have 8 workers being built right now.)

I have a question about the scenario for you. What role, exactly, do the Americans have in this scenario?

AlCosta said:
I have a question about the scenario for you. What role, exactly, do the Americans have in this scenario?

Sadly it's unknown to me too. This is my second game, in the first I got as far as the Americans joining the war, but not far enough to see what trouble they might get up to.

Okay, so they actually get troops. That's good to see. Too bad they'll probably cause the Central Powers to lose the war for me.

AlCosta said:
Hey, Kan, update time. :whipped: I've thread-jacked enough for now.

Hehe, my defence is I was playing Civ multiplayer all weekend, I had little time for this.

Will try for one today, if work doesn't wear me out.

Top Bottom