Infantry Units 1900-Present

AlpineTroops.png

Anyone else like Civ 2? Seems like it had something we're missing...

View attachment 632114

Anyone else like Civ 2? Seems like it had something we're missing...

Specifically:
  • Units which could, via flag, have one unit type be "x2"against another (Pikemen vs. Knights; ATG vs. armor; etc.)
  • Play balance was better: I agree with Sulla that the Temple of Zeus is in abomination; ditto Lethal Land Bombard.
  • Did we really need two more "wasteland" Tile Types? (Swamp and Volcano.)
  • Disease????
  • I still think the game is better served by having Rivers run through Tiles, and Not around them.
Other than those ... :think: ...

Oh, yeah:
  • Readily exploited ROPs ...
  • ... And the diplomacy roundtable sucks!
AND as yet another matter of All Things Diplomatic: given that SMAC is, basically, contemporaneous ... :shake:

Just my dos centavos.

Last edited:
:cool: You're the best, Oz. Yes, I agree that many elements of Civ 2 have, er, stood the test of time if you'll pardon my equivoque. I still think it was the highlight of the series.

But I was referring to something a little more applicable to the thread title...

Finnish.gif

Ah, shucks …

I did always wonder about elite troops on skis in jungles, however :think:

The paratrooper with a parawing was pretty sweet ….

My finest Civ.2 moment was when I tried, and failed to sneak a Suitcase Nuke (a feature I don’t like) into an enemy City … Next turn, said Civ (1) nuked my nearest City to its, then (2) sailed a paraglider right in - for a minute moment, it seemed there might be some near-Intelligence there ….

My finest Civ.2 moment was when I tried, and failed to sneak a Suitcase Nuke (a feature I don’t like) into an enemy City … Next turn, said Civ (1) nuked my nearest City to its, then (2) sailed a paraglider right in - for a minute moment, it seemed there might be some near-Intelligence there ….

Having your spies nuke unsuspecting cities before civilians on parafoils swooped in sure beat inching the artillery/engineer doomstack forward each turn. Hard to say where she was hiding that bomb, though.

I did always wonder about elite troops on skis in jungles, however :think:

... Moving right along - back to Units:
  • Mountain Infantry (skis) as Mountain Infantry (ignore Mountain movement costs?)
  • Modern jungle warfare units (invisible; ignore Jungle movement costs?)
  • "Para-glide" Infantry as "near-future" spec ops (luckily, we already have some stuff like the British Cold War Para, by some guy named "Tony" :D)
  • :think:

Tony, once again you have done a great job ! :woohoo:... and the Finns are there ! :woohoo::woohoo:
Edit: ... and the death animations of the German and Japanese generals. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm late to the release party, but still... beautiful units, Tony, really beautiful. Love them all, especially my neighbours the Finns, though I think the Savoia cavalry is my favourite! Savoia!

Top Bottom