Interesting Screenshots

Was there a wonder cascade on that turn or recently before it?

Nope:

Wonders.png

Looks like you picked all Scientific opponents, correct? Are you also running the Flintlock patch? i.e. is it possible that some (most? all?) of these Wonders were SGL-rushed?

Last edited:
I came into this being shocked at the early GLib but now I'm even more shocked at the Colossus's construction date. That's 9 turns from the start of the game! Even with the AI's Sid discount it still costs 80 shields!

Looks like you picked all Scientific opponents, correct? Are you also running the Flintlock patch? i.e. is it possible that some (most? all?) of these Wonders were SGL-rushed?
The Great Library got started by Greece a few turns earlier I believe. So, I don't think The Great Library got SGL rushed. It's possible though. I'm not running the Flintlock mod. It's the epic game. Later on, I could tell that Copernicus's Observatory got SGL rushed.

I do think it's likely that The Colossus got SGL rushed:

Nople.png

We reached the industrial era in 10 BC!

The AI can use an MGL to rush wonders. It does not use the UI that the player does and no check is made for them. Though it is going to be hard to get a MGL early in the game.

Last edited:
That could explain some of the wonders, but I'm not sure if an MGL on turn 9 is actually possible, even with the AI starting with a bunch of units the Byzantines don't look like they're close enough to any other AI to fight any of them by turn 9.

Can an SGL be won by popping a new tech from a Goody-Hut?

Can an SGL be won by popping a new tech from a Goody-Hut?
I find it the likely explanation as The Byzantines learned Warrior Code first and got an SGL. They have the commerce bonus from Seafaring so they have the best position early for research, and I had all scientific opponents, but I think I left out Germany and The Ottomans, so no one starting with Warrior Code. I suppose also possibly Writing, as The Byzatines seem to have a tendency to research that early, but I doubt before Warrior Code.

I started another game with the same opponents and settings on a different map where The Byzantines again finished The Colossus in 3550 BC.

In this case it is very clearly that the setting of those bombers should cause such a result, as it is a a good criteria for the differentiation between tactical and strategic bombers in C3C.

It's very huge. I'm not sure how to get the seed number. I'll see if I can find a way to get it...
I had started a new game after that, so "Play previous world" was of no use trying to get the seed number. I used to have CivAssist II, but it must've been on another computer that doesn't work anymore. I've attached a save file if anyone with CivAssist want to check it, but I'm not sure if others can open this file, because it's a custom scenario.

Attachments

• Vercingetorix of the Gaul.SAV
    566.1 KB · Views: 8
Egypt-destroyed-in-1710.jpg

Here's another interesting screenshot, or rather a story. The mostly baby blue continent to the northeast of this view is where I started. I discovered the continent on the view here early on, because I had the Great Lighthouse. No other continents could be reached from here without the GL or astronomy. This continent had Anglo-Saxons, Malians and Egyptians. I noticed they all had contact with the Romans, but I could not see them anywhere. Eventually I also got contact with the Romans through trades.

They had 0 points and I couldn't build an embassy in Rome because they didn't have any cities. So I figured they must have a settler somewhere, but they never even built their first city. Finally in 1640 someone killed them off. But their location is a mystery. As you can see, there are only two tiles with FoW on this continent. Could their settler have been on one of them?

And to add to the curiosity, I have conquered all the Egyptian cities, as you can see. But the Egyptians were still alive. Someone killed them off in 1710. They had a caravel that I didn't manage to kill. They must've had a settler on board. This is really unusual. I have managed to get away like this with a settler in a ship once or twice ever, but I can't remember ever experiencing the AI managing that. And now it seems like it might've happened twice in the same game.

View attachment 674427
They had a caravel that I didn't manage to kill. They must've had a settler on board. This is really unusual.
Even more astonishing in my eyes is, that in this case the game didn´t freeze due to the houseboat bug. In CCM these constellations appear more frequently. So for me the real interesting question is: Why did your game not freeze ? Do you have different kinds of settlers in your game and can your settlers be normally produced (in CCM for most parts of the game the settlers are autoproduced) ? :think:

Has anyone ever seen this? It is from my modified Test of Time scenario in Play the World, courtesy of using the Espionage tab. I tend to use that a lot to determine what is going on, and is anyone a sitting duck, waiting for me to pluck the city.modified Test of Time scenario in Play the World, courtesy of using the Espionage tab. I tend to use that a lot to determine what is going on, and is anyone a sitting duck, waiting for me to pluck the city. The AI difficulty level is set to Deity, but I have never seen a city with no building and no garrison building a settler which such a small population. There is another Songhai city on the western African coast with the same going on. It is very, very tempting to grab.

View attachment Songhai City-PTW.png

Last edited:
When you do some "early" war mongering to give yourself some space, and then this happens:
Spoiler :

1696458566657.png

1696458830939.png

Four turns later Cuzco becomes French. After Cuzco, a peace treaty was signed, including Vilcas, Polytheism, Horseback & 53g.

The AI difficulty level is set to Deity, but I have never seen a city with no building and no garrison building a settler which such a small population.
I have seen this lots of times, independent of difficulty level. Sometimes even at size 1: the shield-box for the settler is full, and the town then keeps wasting its production turn after turn, until it grows to size 3...
There must be some screenshots in one of the Succession Games I played in a couple of years ago, where we established embassies in a couple of AI capitals and saw exactly that picture. Not the best way to use your most productive city, is it... :)

Top Bottom