Interesting Screenshots

The captain of the English curragh is laughing about the mad captain of the English galley, who risked the lives of his crew and the ship for next to nothing, only finding another English ship after a long and dangerous journey, managed by a captain who was much smarter. :D

Far too many of my suicide-galleys seem to sink exactly 1 turn before they reach safe waters again. It's like the crews are so excited about making landfall (after 100s of years at sea!), they get sloppy... :lol:

Will it or won't it make it... ahhh, the drama!

To what must be a new world record for travelling in a straight line middle-map without seeing even a sea square.
C'mon, dinna keep us on edge! What happened?
Hmm... I just happened to see this, and it somehow links to my profile but I didn't get a notification.
It's because I had to edit it into the post.

Unless you have the Lighthouse, you're still not quite safe.

Cue there being one coal in the northern forest and one iron popping up in the hills and suddenly that place being the only one where you can build the Great Ironworks.

I almost always will not put out a settler or worker if a city can't at least grow to size 3 or 2 without shield production stopping. The AIs put out settlers or workers though as soon as possible. I guess there's a logic to that, even if it's not so good. But, this?!

Extremely Bad Settler.png

Edit: I swear I didn't change this! The AIs CAN change builds without a wonder cascade it seems:

Changed Build.png

Last edited:
Who convinced Cathy she needed a bank here?

Russian Bank.png

I often think that AIs need cathedrals, temples, and colosseums, since they often have luxury issues.

Possibly Cathy does turn down the tax slider to purchase some technology later, I guess?

Well, I guess that ends up a little bit better for that bank, but still:

Bank a little more in use.png

Oh, the rate didn't change. Russia changed governments from Monarchy to Democracy. Cathy did swap tiles though once work got done!

I saw that the Byzantines end up next in the amount of gold.

Makes More Sense.png

The Byzantines have 28 gold without the marketplace and 19 beakers without the university and library. So, 60% taxes and 40% science.

A little later I see that Cathy uses the luxury slider:

Luxury Slider.png

I almost always will not put out a settler or worker if a city can't at least grow to size 3 or 2 without shield production stopping. The AIs put out settlers or workers though as soon as possible. I guess there's a logic to that, even if it's not so good. But, this?!

View attachment 688473

Edit: I swear I didn't change this! The AIs CAN change builds without a wonder cascade it seems:

View attachment 688475
Those AI cities in useless places are so annoying. And of course they will find oil there.
I disabled settling on tundra for that reason, but on forests its still possible. Sometimes I cut a forst just to prevent the ai from plopping a town on my tundra/desert coast line.

Sometimes I cut a forst just to prevent the ai from plopping a town on my tundra/desert coast line.

Thanks for commenting.

It's not your coastline, unless it lies within your cultural borders.

Pasargade lies close to Persepolis. In addition to supporting units, it produces 4 uncorrupted beakers at size 2! It also could have coal eventually. So, long-term it's not useless, given that the land gets cleared out sufficiently and roaded.

Thanks for commenting.

It's not your coastline, unless it lies within your cultural borders.

Pasargade lies close to Persepolis. In addition to supporting units, it produces 4 uncorrupted beakers at size 2! It also could have coal eventually. So, long-term it's not useless, given that the land gets cleared out sufficiently and roaded.
If it's my island, it's my coastline ;)

With useless I mean that it is suboptimal until engineering. It would be not smart to settle there when better spots are available. The ai is notorious for doing that.

there is this Psargadae building a settler while it has just 2 people ? Depending on how much it takes to clear those jungles and swamps , the AI will have a cleared grassland tile , possibly with a bonus shield in 5 turns or so .

when playing other civs in LotM ı do that settler clearing thing a lot , because ı somehow ended up arranging forest clearing available in the third era and you can't clear swamps (because of a name change in files) unless you plant forests on the tiles first . Protecting nature and hugging trees and so on .

@Spoonwood Was that a debug game, or did you just investigate the city?

And a Settler for only 9 shields?!? Deity game with AccProd switched on?

Maybe Sid difficulty was too easy and the cost factor of 4 was reduced to 3. But of we look at the food box and that the shield box if partially cut off, then it is probably "only" regular Sid.

@Spoonwood Was that a debug game, or did you just investigate the city?

And a Settler for only 9 shields?!? Deity game with AccProd switched on?

It comes from a debug game. I'd have to check other pictures, but I don't think city investigations enable you to see surrounding units like that. They do not remove the soft shading. Fortunately, I took pictures from the 20k France game I played last year, and we have a city investigation picture. That also got taken after map trading with AIs. I don't see any AI units there, and thus generalize that pictures like the ones I posted above probably would get taken in debug mode.

The bottom line gets cropped off with whatever setting I used for those pictures. Consequently, that settler costs 12 shields. It's Sid level.

Also, the food box and the shield box always end up consistent so far as I can tell. With the pictures above, though just barely visible, I think you can see that cities need 16 or 8 food for the box to get completely filled. Alright, you referred to the 8 food picture. 8 food is 40% of the default cost. As you suggested, 9 shields for a settler is .3 cost (deity has .6 cost and accelerted production is half cost for everything). (30 x .3) = 9, and (9 / 30) = .3 (the last equation has relevance for how we would compute the cost factor from the box without guessing). But, if we had 40% for the shield box, and 30% for the food box, then we have an inconsistency. But, cost factor affects both the same. So, the picture doesn't fit the math that we know about the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom