Invading Mexico to End the Cartels

Are there circumstances under which you would approve of invading Mexico to end the drug cartles?

• No, never

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Only with permission and help from Mexico

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • We don't need permission because we are the target of their drug trade

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Get allies to join us

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
It’s really just DeSantis is trying to save his failing campaign by acting tough. Sad!

An America that stretches from the Yukon to the Yucatan?

This is one of the topics about which I have NO sense of humor. The premier of my province is a fan of DeSantis and would love to implement some of his policies here, regarding education and women's reproductive rights. The Take Back Alberta (not nice people, not friendly people, science-illiterate people, religiously-intolerant bigots) are backing her/the UCP party.

The sooner DeSantis is out of the government in Florida, the more relieved the sane in Alberta will be.

Of what benefit would it be for me to live in a foreign-occupied country? :huh: There are enough crazy people here already who want Alberta to join the U.S. As I've said elsewhere - it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

DeSantis should donate all his money to trans people and become an ascetic monk in some far off mountain somewhere, never to interact with another human being again.

This is me being charitable.

There is no stopping drug use in the US. Not going to happen. The two big issues outside of the impact on users are money induced corruption and ongoing crime needed for drug money. The only solution I see is to offer free drugs of better quality to those who need them. If you take the money out of the system, there might be a chance of improvement.

Out of curiosity, if the people engaging currently in the illicit narcotics trade are put out of business with no substitute, traded for big industry now marketing and distributing with boards and profit margins to be accountable to like the East India Company - I wonder what ratios would make due entirely without, find a waiting and available enterprise above the board, or start robbing, stealing, or kidnapping. That's a lot of income and employment to displace. And that's not even getting into legalization increasing use for things like heroin, cocaine, crack, and methamphetamines. We might just assume relatively worthless low income people would be primarily effected, and that might be a relative win on the purge.
Yeah I have the same worry. But even still, it's should reduce overall violence especially long term.

Aaww go on. Please!!

Why would you want to invade France?

(if you do, just remember to leave the Vimy memorial alone, kthxbai - it's actually Canadian territory).

Out of curiosity, if the people engaging currently in the illicit narcotics trade are put out of business with no substitute, traded for big industry now marketing and distributing with boards and profit margins to be accountable to like the East India Company - I wonder what ratios would make due entirely without, find a waiting and available enterprise above the board, or start robbing, stealing, or kidnapping. That's a lot of income and employment to displace. And that's not even getting into legalization increasing use for things like heroin, cocaine, crack, and methamphetamines. We might just assume relatively worthless low income people would be primarily effected, and that might be a relative win on the purge.
This argument reminds me of ludditism even tho it's not about technology.

"Won't someone please think of the gangsters!"

This argument reminds me of ludditism even tho it's not about technology.

"Won't someone please think of the gangsters!"
And who are gangsters?

Is the New East India Company going to do less damage than them? Once they're a big data enterprise and all. But hey. We might get a cut on the taxes, right?

There are enough crazy people here already who want Alberta to join the U.S.

Didn't Alberta try to do that in the 90s believing Canada was essentially joever when Quebec seemed like it was almost going to leave?

The only solution I see is to offer free drugs of better quality to those who need them.

Don't they line up for free drugs already in San Francisco? With all the tent cities and whatnot?

Not exactly sure if it solves the homeless and feces problem.

I think Mexico should be turned into Disneyland, where drugdealers sell popcorn & balloons instead.
America could send Donald, Goofy and Grandma Duck for this top secret mission.

And who are gangsters?

Is the New East India Company going to do less damage than them? Once they're a big data enterprise and all. But hey. We might get a cut on the taxes, right?
As usual I'm misunderstanding most of your analogies but the point is we should always do the right thing even if it's complicated. Trolly problem & all that.

I mean the fallout of unemployed violent gangsters looking for work would be real. But agreed you can't let that hold you hostage from doing the right thing. I suppose we can figure out what happened after prohibition ended. It took America 30ish years to whittle the mob down, arguably 60. But thank God the mafia isn't a contender in American politics anymore.

There is no stopping drug use in the US. Not going to happen. The two big issues outside of the impact on users are money induced corruption and ongoing crime needed for drug money. The only solution I see is to offer free drugs of better quality to those who need them. If you take the money out of the system, there might be a chance of improvement.
Shouldn't the main issue and target actually be the urge to abuse drugs?
Offering people free drugs, unless its actually helping them to stop their addiction, doesnt sound good.
But also everything what state offers for free is inevitably the source of abuse, corruption and regulations.

Didn't Alberta try to do that in the 90s believing Canada was essentially joever when Quebec seemed like it was almost going to leave?
You're going to have to explain "joever". My spell checker says it's not a word.

There have been Western separatists around for decades. I remember listening to one of the WCC (Western Canada Concept) candidates make a speech during one of the federal elections. Back then it's was all "Trudeau-Trudeau-Trudeau", blaming him for the NEP and oil.

Fast-forward 40 years. The name of the party is different, but they're still whining about Trudeau and oil (different Trudeau, as Pierre died over 20 years ago).

Nowadays, we've got the "Take Back Alberta" movement that's infiltrated the United Conservative Party. They've openly stated that if our premier, Danielle Smith, doesn't do what they want her to do, they'll arrange for her to lose her next leadership review or get ousted some other way and someone else will be put in. Some of these people are adamant that they want a referendum on separation and are confident that enough would go for it.

It's completely escaped them that Alberta is landlocked. We have no direct access to any ocean. They prattle about BC, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba being "happy" to help out with this, but there are times when BC isn't very happy with us, and Manitoba's ocean access is Hudson Bay. That's a hell of a long way from the ocean route between Canada and Asia, not to mention that it's frozen for part of the year.

Then they prattle that Montana and Washington would be "happy" to help. The last time Canada assumed the U.S. would be "happy to help", Biden canceled the pipeline that our former premier was counting on. Boom - billions evaporated into nothing.

The Quebec referendum was a close thing. Whether Alberta would be close? Hopefully most people would really think about how stupid we'd be to really try it.

Shouldn't the main issue and target actually be the urge to abuse drugs?
Offering people free drugs, unless its actually helping them to stop their addiction, doesnt sound good.
But also everything what state offers for free is inevitably the source of abuse, corruption and regulations.
Debateable but even if you're right is it a bigger source of abuse and corruption (not to mention violence) than organised crime?

You're going to have to explain "joever". My spell checker says it's not a word.

There have been Western separatists around for decades. I remember listening to one of the WCC (Western Canada Concept) candidates make a speech during one of the federal elections. Back then it's was all "Trudeau-Trudeau-Trudeau", blaming him for the NEP and oil.

Fast-forward 40 years. The name of the party is different, but they're still whining about Trudeau and oil (different Trudeau, as Pierre died over 20 years ago).

Nowadays, we've got the "Take Back Alberta" movement that's infiltrated the United Conservative Party. They've openly stated that if our premier, Danielle Smith, doesn't do what they want her to do, they'll arrange for her to lose her next leadership review or get ousted some other way and someone else will be put in. Some of these people are adamant that they want a referendum on separation and are confident that enough would go for it.

It's completely escaped them that Alberta is landlocked. We have no direct access to any ocean. They prattle about BC, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba being "happy" to help out with this, but there are times when BC isn't very happy with us, and Manitoba's ocean access is Hudson Bay. That's a hell of a long way from the ocean route between Canada and Asia, not to mention that it's frozen for part of the year.

Then they prattle that Montana and Washington would be "happy" to help. The last time Canada assumed the U.S. would be "happy to help", Biden canceled the pipeline that our former premier was counting on. Boom - billions evaporated into nothing.

The Quebec referendum was a close thing. Whether Alberta would be close? Hopefully most people would really think about how stupid we'd be to really try it.

We had a South Island indepence party back in 90s. Never got over 1% support.

I mean the fallout of unemployed violent gangsters looking for work would be real. But agreed you can't let that hold you hostage from doing the right thing. I suppose we can figure out what happened after prohibition ended. It took America 30ish years to whittle the mob down, arguably 60. But thank God the mafia isn't a contender in American politics anymore.
That is true. And it's also true that unleashing big business with the mandate of the government to sell and profit off of some of the most addictive and destructive substances we know is a historical evil we've seen before. But sure, it gets argued with a straight face that "this time would be different" or some such rationalization when a) we don't want to pay and work the enforcement because it's legit hard and b) we think we can make a buck ourselves. China still has cultural damage from legal government monopolies pushing narcotics. Our MDs are not insignificantly to blame for the opioid crisis. But the dead are dead, and we have surviviorship bias and ourselves to care about.

That faith in organized crime not being in government is cute, btw. I don't know what else you'd call civil forfeiture. Or local corruption. Or statewide corruption.

Top Bottom