IOT Developmental Thread

I don't think I'll be joining this one - modern settings aren't really my cup of tea - but it seems like you've put a lot of thought into this. Good luck!

Just read through the ruleset, I'm really excited for this game and wish you the best of luck Yev. I can't wait to play it.

Could anyone recommend a good Gimp tutorial? I am looking for a way to make layered maps. :help:

Current WIP of rules for new Superpowers, tell me everything you think about them.
Looks great! Its a stat NES set in the 2030, whats not to like?

Last edited:
Could anyone recommend a good Gimp tutorial? I am looking for a way to make layered maps. :help:

From what I've used GIMP for, this details layers with all their functionality: https://www.javatpoint.com/gimp-layers

Personally I just use New Layer, Delete Layer, Merge Down, Layer Visibility, and Transparency. Make sure to have the Layer you want to affect selected when erasing and penciling!

From what I've used GIMP for, this details layers with all their functionality: https://www.javatpoint.com/gimp-layers

Personally I just use New Layer, Delete Layer, Merge Down, Layer Visibility, and Transparency. Make sure to have the Layer you want to affect selected when erasing and penciling!
Looks very useful, thank you :goodjob:
I'm happy to report that I have learned something in the meantime :) WiP:

Attachments

• Arrakis_0.png
    Arrakis_0.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 250
Ooooh Arrakis map

Nothing under those hills and mountains i'm sure, just about 50,000 natives on the planet as a whole

Could a traditional state ever function without points in military: ground? Like, the description of it as "defend and seize land" sorta implies to me that others can't do that nearly as effectively as ground. Based on this assumption I presume that a state with only military: guerilla could not exist effectively under this system as an player controlled entity?

I'm eager to see someone try getting away without Warfare: ground. Perhaps Britain or Japan could get away with merely Warfare: naval, and montane or tropical countries could probably survive on Warfare: guerilla. You could also do Warfare: missiles and combo that with Science: WMDs and operate a purely deterrent strategy for home defence.

If you mean how can a state conquer territory or cities abroad without Warfare: ground, they probably can't.

Lacking a capability does not narratively mean the capability is zero, just that it's mechanically negligible. So if you mean to say that a state needs an army, sure, but if you don't select that capability, it's just a minimal force that can't meaningfully be used in the context of Fronts.

Last edited:
This sounds interesting, I'm in, but I'm curious why there's no revanchist [i.e, pro-Soviet/U.S] state ideologies.

This sounds interesting, I'm in, but I'm curious why there's no revanchist [i.e, pro-Soviet/U.S] state ideologies.

I would argue that one could use Black or Grey to simulate a revanchist U.S. Although I do agree that Red is a bit limiting narratively. EDIT: Actually you could make something work with Red or Pink probably.

Anyway I think this is a cool idea and I would be interested in it. I would recommend trying to think of another name for historical reasons though.

Last edited:
I agree that Black or Grey would both be suitable for a revanchist state in Europe or North America.

I would recommend trying to think of another name for historical reasons though.

I'm open to suggestion, don't have any attachment to the current name. Next best idea I have is Autumn of Nations.

Are you limiting signups to eight players?

I'm going to have a signup limit of 7.

Also want to be in if it wasn't inferred already. Could a post-apartheid United States in this timeline include all of North America as core, or is USA already big enough and the rest would be stretch? For that matter I'm unsure of what stretch means, is that just the state has major pull in those regions but doesn't own them properly? Also, should proficiencies reflect what we assume our state did in the past or what we want it to do with the new leadership?

The stretch and core differentiation is really just to give me some room for manoeuvre when I make the map, since players may or may not have the same vision of what constitutes a reasonably sized state in a given region. Case in point, I would not want the post-collapse U.S. state to cover all of North America (one of the few stipulations of the timeline is that "dozens" of new states emerged from the 1989-1991 double-collapse). I'm aiming for a set of peer powers, and continent-sized U.S. is probably not going to fit that agenda.

And I would encourage and support capabilities/proficiencies that reflect the history of that society. That sounds like good role-playing to me.

@J.K. Stockholme Noticed a mistake - you misuse the term “multiple of two” frequently in the ruleset. A multiple of two is simply an even number - I believe the term you are looking for is “power of two”.

Top Bottom