Iron and Blood 3: Rapid Fire

South Africa

205 IC
185 for Expansion
20 for Units

GM: I have decided to end this game. I am now doing extra paid work for the time being, so I can not give this any more time.

However, I must say that these rules were very easy use. If some one wants to take over running it - Please PM me your email address, and I can then give you write access to the Spreadsheet.

Thanks all for your time. It was fun while it lasted.

great game Kiwitt, good luck on your work ;)

This was a great game, forcing me to think really creatively and overcome a huge disadvantage and almost certain loss. My only disappointment is that I was about to catapult myself into at least 2nd place, which would have been a more than satisfactory ending position for me given all the challenges I had.

Also – why the heck were there only 2 wars this entire game? With a map and rule set like this I would have predicted many more. I was paranoid most of the game that someone else would take advantage of my precarious position and steal some of my territories. That is the main reason I sold off almost all of my American/Caribbean factories so I could concentrate my defense on mainland Africa.

Yeah that was my observation as well ... where were the wars?

I may use a similar ruleset for IB4 next year, however with more in-depth seriousness. This game has become effectively a trial of a simple mechanic that required minimal work.

We are civilized Nations. Not Barbarians who fight Wars.

But this is a RISK type of game that has world domination as it's penultimate goal... I'm not saying that everyone should have been fighting everyone all the time, but the overall low level of warfare was quite striking.

My guess is that if there were more nations playing we would naturally have seen more conflict as there would have been less land for everyone to expand into. I also think that if this game had gone on for a few more turns we would have seen more as people ran out of space to expand into.

I may use a similar ruleset for IB4 next year, however with more in-depth seriousness. This game has become effectively a trial of a simple mechanic that required minimal work.

It was quite simple mechanically, yet still allowed for sufficient complexity at the player level. The way that wars were weighted towards the defender made it a much more even playing field for the weaker nations as well, and really required thoughtful use of resources regardless of how big (and powerful) your nation was. :goodjob:

EDIT: An example of this is my cannibalizing my factories in Africa. I did that not only because I really needed the IC, but I knew that I was eventually going to want to take those territories back, and I really didn't want to face 90% bonus odds to the defenders, let alone give them "free" IC that they could use to continue to kick my butt! ;)

I think this would have played well on an IB Europe-only Map.

As for the defender bias. That comes from 40+ years of wargaming and research; The defender always has the advantage. Which is why "Storming Norman" US forces adopted "Overwhelming Force" (a key US doctrine) in Iraq War 1.

Top Bottom