[BNW] Is it possible to beat Deity in a Tiny Islands map?

Yes, it should be pretty easy... AI is too weak at combat. Declare war upon contact and win before Rennaisance i guess. Easiest with Byzantine because of dromons. Any victory type is possible but the easiest should be to just conquer him.

edit: I just figured that you didn't specify size so I assumed you meant 1v1 (duel). If not, then the answer is still that you can win. In fact, the more water a map has, the easiest is to defeat AI due to its incompetence that is more severe on water than on land. Also, he has less room to expand on tiny islands which decreases his potential to become too strong.

Last edited:
Seeing is believing, so I decided to try out my theory to see if it works, and it does. Victory a bit late in turn 92, can be done faster by skipping settlers and just massing dromons, getting 1 scout and the initial warrior close to enemy capital for capture.

Well done. I do not think it is such a big difference between Archipelago and Tiny Islands and maybe the best civ to play is actually Polynesia. Manpanzee has a fantastic Polynesia/Deity/Standard/Standard/Archipelago win in the Hall of Fame. He conquered all seven AI capitals in 121 turns. Polynesia is absolutely OP, since you more or less get Frigates by researching Compass.

Well done. I do not think it is such a big difference between Archipelago and Tiny Islands and maybe the best civ to play is actually Polynesia. Manpanzee has a fantastic Polynesia/Deity/Standard/Standard/Archipelago win in the Hall of Fame. He conquered all seven AI capitals in 121 turns. Polynesia is absolutely OP, since you more or less get Frigates by researching Compass.

Indeed, Polynesia's UA is really cool. Even the improvement is nice to use when you have so many tiles adjancent to the coast on a water map. Maybe only their unique warrior is a little underwhelming compared to other unique units.
I think Polynesia is perfect for Terra map. You can settle the other continent and get all the ruins, natural wonders, befriend CS...

Seeing is believing, so I decided to try out my theory to see if it works, and it does. Victory a bit late in turn 92, can be done faster by skipping settlers and just massing dromons, getting 1 scout and the initial warrior close to enemy capital for capture.
Thank you for this gameplay. But yeah I was thinking of a standard size (8 civs / 12 city states) Tiny Islands map game.
I tried it the other day with Indonesia and I think my mistake was not to beeline for Optics. At turn 80-ish, I only got 2 cities, sad.

Is Tiny Islands really much different than any other Deity map where you start isolated? In my experience, isolated starts are slower (by any metric), and kind of boring (so nowadays I try to avoid them). But I do not recall Tiny Islands being significantly more difficult than other Deity maps. (Which, is to say, I can probably slog it out and get an SV in the early T300s before some AI wins.)

I think the strong preference for Pangea and Continents follows just from the play being more predictable. I don’t think Pangea/Continents makes any VC type easier. In my experience easy/hard follows more other map factors (e.g., Shaka is your neighbor).

Yes, it is possible to beat deity in a Tiny Islands map. I just shared a Denmark Tiny Islands map in the Enjoyable Deity Games thread. It was more fun than I expected, so I might try similar settings again. I am thinking Sejong, aiming for SV, versus a bunch of war mongers with good watery UA or UU.

Not only is it possible, it's easier on water maps for 2 reasons. A) If you fight the AI, they suck so bad it's easier than on land. And B) They suck so bad that they won't even pick a fight with you if you want to be peaceful.

I've beaten Deity on Tiny Islands with England going for both Domination and Diplomacy, and Ethiopia with Cultural. As mentioned above, it's not much different than Archipelago.

Top Bottom