Is it possible to eliminate poverty?

We're talking very different types of poverty. Of course someone's going to be 'unproductive' when they can't read, they have two kids dying of malaria, and they need to chop tree roots out of the ground for firewood. People will complain "hey, throwing money at the problem won't help", but fer-gods-sake if you get those kids some medicine and get the parents some tools, they're going to be a damn site more productive. People CAN move from impoverished to self-sufficient, but not if they have NOTHING.

There's a level of poverty so severe that the people literally have NO sustainable assets. People can complain about the efficiency of various programs (if they want), but right now there are nearly NO programs.

Because people in the West don't realize how little charity they dole out. Part of this is a function of how efficient the dispersal of aid is though.

You cant eliminate poverty. However, you can mitigate it.

I absolutely think it possible to have a society in which no one has to be poor unless they choose to be. Some people absolutely choose to leech off of society and be unproductive and live in semi-poverty. I dont think you can change that.

Because people in the West don't realize how little charity they dole out. Part of this is a function of how efficient the dispersal of aid is though.
I agree, and I agree.
I just am a little tired about people refusing* to give aid because they're worried about the efficiency. It's a fair comment once the aid is flowing, sure, let's build efficiencies. But it's not really a fair comment if there's almost no aid flowing.

*though I'm pretty sure it's just the rationalization du jour.

I agree, and I agree.
I just am a little tired about people refusing* to give aid because they're worried about the efficiency. It's a fair comment once the aid is flowing, sure, let's build efficiencies. But it's not really a fair comment if there's almost no aid flowing.

*though I'm pretty sure it's just the rationalization du jour.

I think that the objection has been the rationalization for decades now. It's a catch 22 at this point.

I think one of the more promising things is microloans.

I like them all! Take your pick! Please!

(I've been swayed by the malaria netting, though the leprosy ads get me every time. And One-Laptop-per-Child was a really great idea)

Is it possible to eliminate poverty?

Yes, we can.

A LOT of people complain about how we can't just "throw money at the problem", but the truth is that we're throwing very little money at the problem. By goodness, it could stand to have much more thrown at it. And that means wise, but generous, donations to charities. And there are many, many charities (and charitable concepts) to choose from. By all means, pick your favourite theory. But at least do something.

I think I shall!

1. Institute programs to provide medical care, education, and nutrition to poor families. Mexico provides poverty relief to 2.6 million families on a budget of just $777 million. A similar program in Nicaragua has achieved somewhat more limited results. The US should commit to funding at least two Progresa-style programs in developing countries with reasonably effective governments. If Congress can fund a $300 billion farm bill every 5 years, it can provide $1.5 billion per year to help developing countries.

2. Extend the availability of credit to poor people, via microloans. Grameen Bank combines microloans with an extensive social program and a ten-point plan to evaluate a family's progress out of poverty. So far, microfinance has reached over 100 million families with the goal of lifting 500 million people out of poverty by 2015.

3. Wait for the effects of said programs to work their way through the local economy and society. Economic development doesn't happen overnight. Make adjustments as necessary. These strategies can be easily be coupled with other approaches, both high-level and low-level.

Eliminating poverty is impossible.God will not allow it.

Which one?

And what scripture is applicable.

Any god.The one you believe in.Gods like it when their underlings suffer.It is the nature of being god.At least if I was the god,I would like it.No scripture needed.

I just want to say,poverty is the part of this life.It cant be vanquished.No matter how hard the people try.Poverty was there,Poverty is here and poverty will be anywhere.

You cant eliminate poverty. However, you can mitigate it.

I absolutely think it possible to have a society in which no one has to be poor unless they choose to be. Some people absolutely choose to leech off of society and be unproductive and live in semi-poverty. I dont think you can change that.

There are many people who are poor by no fault of their own.

These 225 people arn't just sitting on piles on money in vaults a-la Scroodge McDuck. Their money and assets are tied up in infastructe & investments, which are giving the lower class jobs and producing things that are improving the quality of life.

As stated before, the problem isn't with the rich being rich. Its the powerful being corrupt, these powerful being those who are running these countries and keeping their people impoverished.

If the state owned it, it could use that money for whatever it needed to. Like distrubuting it to the poor, for instance.

There are many people who are poor by no fault of their own.

Irrelevant to my point.

As long as people have a choice in how they want to live there will be poverty.

You can only ultimately eliminate poverty by eliminating choice.

Good luck with that.

Irrelevant to my point.

As long as people have a choice in how they want to live there will be poverty.

You can only ultimately eliminate poverty by eliminating choice.

Good luck with that.

LOL That was entirely relevant to your point, and you just proved it again! You're blaming poor people for being poor.

LOL That was entirely relevant to your point, and you just proved it again! You're blaming poor people for being poor.

Not at all. I dont blame people who are poor due to no fault of their own...

However, most of these people dont remain poor long as they are determined to improve their status above being poor....

But you need to accept the fact that not all poor people are that way because of no fault of their own.....some are that way precisely by their own choice....

If you choose to remain ignorant and refuse to accept the fact that yes, some people do actually choose to live in poverty then we cant have a valid conversation.

Get back to me when you are willing to accept the truth...

Not at all. I dont blame people who are poor due to no fault of their own...

However, most of these people dont remain poor long as they are determined to improve their status above being poor....

But you need to accept the fact that not all poor people are that way because of no fault of their own.....some are that way precisely by their own choice....

If you choose to remain ignorant and refuse to accept the fact that yes, some people do actually choose to live in poverty then we cant have a valid conversation.

Get back to me when you are willing to accept the truth...

I think that this gets back to the definition of poverty; are people who actively choose a lifestyle and are open about that choice really best counted in poverty statistics?

I think that this gets back to the definition of poverty; are people who actively choose a lifestyle and are open about that choice really best counted in poverty statistics?

I dont see how you can not count them.

An other way to deal Africas problems (mainly the problems of the poorest countries) is a new trend in charity. Instead of giving either money or food , it would provide Africans with the materials ,machinery but first of all the training needed by eliminating the middle man in the first stage that did the whole process , well not to happen. They will also offer advice on how to use them and which objective should each participant follow.
Each participant will either
A) build houses
B) organize farms/business introduce new methods and increase production
C) to work in jobs that require qualified personnel and contribute to the community.

And there is an actual charity program like this. It was not strange that when asked on who really helped them the poor said only it .

Top Bottom