[R&F] Is it worth building Temple of Artemis if you can?

I consider masonry pretty important. Ancient Walls give quite a bit of safety. 1 or 2 archers with walls can defend against a lot.
For multiplayer maybe, but against the AI I personally never build walls (other for maybe the eureka or for late game tourism because I have nothing else to build anyway).
Getting archers and your first classical era units (for city combat strength) takes care of the defensive issues, while also not compromising on general progress (like spending the production on walls to begin with).

For multiplayer maybe, but against the AI I personally never build walls (other for maybe the eureka or for late game tourism because I have nothing else to build anyway).
Getting archers and your first classical era units (for city combat strength) takes care of the defensive issues, while also not compromising on general progress (like spending the production on walls to begin with).
Walls give additional housing, yes? Or does that only apply when you use certain governments?

I've been building walls -- when I have an opportunity, not as a priority -- for the housing. Every city gets at least ancient walls. But if that doesn't apply for later governments, I may rethink my build plans.

Yes, Monarchy gives Housing per level of Wall.

I often build walls in every city, and increase the levels at certain times with Limes... It becomes a little mini-game, to squeeze out as much Wall as possible and to pretend I will get to the late game for Wall Tourism. I also like to defend as if the AI were a danger, so I always leave a Ranged unit in border cities and use Walls and Encampments smartly.

I need to look at where my borders are likely to be, to ensure that I have some walls and a ranged unit there.
I've been playing Civ6 using the habits I developed in earlier games, where leaving a city undefended could be dangerous.
By building one level of wall, my city will get its defensive shot -- even against barbs.

Clarifying, because I've read different things.... is this understanding correct?

• Primary purpose of walls (in-game) is defense. Having any level of wall gives a defensive shot, with progressive levels of walls harder to defeat
  • Unlocking Monarchy also provides housing for each level of wall. This housing remains even after switching to other governments
  • Unlocking Steel prevents any further wall construction. Each city gets Urban Defense instead, meaning that even unwalled cities can take a defensive shot
  • Unlocking Conservation provides tourism (GS and later) for each level of wall.
Why am I asking? I frequently get the warning popup that says "XXX city needs more housing to grow". Yes, I build some farms and sewers and other district buildings. I'm trying to decide if adding levels of walls -- during the interval between Monarchy and Steel -- is an effective way to provide additional, permanent housing.

Last edited:
In games when I get Imhotep, my shopping list is:
- Mausoleum
- Petra (if there's a suitable site)
- Colosseum
- Colossus
- Artemis
- Pyramids

Sometimes I'll already have two or three on that list, and so it gets built. I generally have enough faith or money that Pyramids are of less interest to me than fuelling one or two more districts.

Top Bottom