Is it worth building the Oracle 12 turns before Theology?

AnthonyIII

Warlord
So i'm building for 20K, trying a regent game. It's 590BC and 12 turns(have to save some money) before I discover Theology - which makes The Oracle obsolete - The Oracle can be finished in 6 turns. What happens if I build it? Main question: Will it gater culture for 6 turns, then future culture will act as at it was never built, or will my culture pr turn maintain the 4 culture points from The Oracle after it's obsolete? My other options are Cathedral (1 turn), Sun Tzu's (19), ToA (14), Lighthouse (6), Templar (6) and The Great Wall (6). If the c/pt stays with me after the Oracle is obsolete I guess I could finish it and start a 6 turn prebuild for the Sistine Chapel.

Edit: To simplify, I guess I'm asking what happens with a wonder when it goes obsolete. I know it will lose it's special benefit(learn techs for free, ancient cav every 5th turn etc), but will it also lose it's culture?

Naw you get to keep building your culture, and as you said though you do lose any special benefit besides that. Think of it this way...Just because the Statue of Liberty is no longer truly important in the way it used to be (welcoming new arrivals to the US) doesn't make it any less culturally significant to our people...
SO YEAH go on build that Oracle, if your going for culture victory it will definitely be worth it. Of course if you want that happiness benefit then for sure get that Sistine chapel ASAP as well.

Both the cultural benefit, and the tourist attraction benefit will still apply for the Oracle. You definitely will do well to finish it.

Alright, thanks OblivionsCall and Spoonwood. So when going for 20k any wonder never really goes culturally obsolete? Nice to know.

The culture benefit should last the whole game no matter what sort of victory conditions you are working towards. Also the culture should double after a given number of turns (I don't know how many), so building culture buildings early brings on that doubling effect sooner.

any wonder you build will always give culture

wonders that you capture never do

both wonders that you build and capture will 'work' until they expire, if they expire

The culture benefit should last the whole game no matter what sort of victory conditions you are working towards. Also the culture should double after a given number of turns (I don't know how many), so building culture buildings early brings on that doubling effect sooner.

It's 1000 years.

Thanks guys! Been downloading and looking at 20k saves from the HOF to try and learn how they're played and how much luck is involved. Good fun!

yeh 1000 years...I've never gone for cultural victory but if i did i would sure get as many cultural improvements built asap cause later in the game they'll be racking it up.

yeh 1000 years...I've never gone for cultural victory but if i did i would sure get as many cultural improvements built asap cause later in the game they'll be racking it up.

You should give it a try, it is an interesting challenge and very different from most people's normal method of playing. Either 100k or 20k are both a lot of fun. I do prefer other victory types, but sometimes having to change it up is required.

If you're going for a cultural victory and you can grab it, yeah. Otherwise, why bother? Much better to spend the shields on something lasting. (Except for cultural victory, I never build the Oracle anyways. If you need it to keep your cities happy, then you have bigger problems that it doesn't do you any good to mask with a wonder.)

i only ever build the oracle if i'm religious, and only then if i've built temples in my main cities that early in the game (babylon, india, japan)

ultimately though, to me, playing religious screams peaceful, tech researching, builder type etc

and to be honest, unless i've got no resources, i'll prioritise troops over temples anyway

I would only build the oracle in a culture game, particularly 20k, though it can have its uses in a 100k game when combined with temple of artemis.

Top Bottom