Is the Heroic Epic the worst national wonder?

I agree that HE isn't cost-efficient, but hey, that doesn't mean the wonder is outrageously bad. +15% :c5strength: is actually a lot, considering that Civ 5 is a One-Tile-Per-Unit game (with a limited space). In early games, extra 2 or 3 units than HE are definitely better, but from mid to late game, where everyone has enough units, HE combat bonus + any other combat advantage will significantly help, especially when you have limited number of space that you can place your units.

I feel like the heroric epic is being a bit underrated here. The ability to build it comes pretty early; iron working is one of those that most people go for at a reasonably early time, although this may have changed with iron being discoverable earlier. Anyway, by the time you CAN build it, you shouldn't have more than 3ish cities anyway unless you are an utter expansionist whore, so you only need to build a couple of barracks to unlock it for your unit producing city located conveniently next to your iron deposit. And now with caravans you can route production about as necessary to speed up the process so your queue isn't totally dragged down by the extra barrackses (say that outloud and not use a gollum hobbitses voice I dare you) that you won't even use later. The bonus to attack isn't totally amazing but is a nice addition with the upgrades from all of the XP buildings later.

Is it THE BEST. BUILDING. EVER? No, it can be skipped. Is it worthless? I don't think so, I -always- build it! Being able to pinch purchase units that have a smidgeon extra power when you're at a numerical or even technological disadvantage can help tremendously.

I feel like the heroric epic is being a bit underrated here. The ability to build it comes pretty early; iron working is one of those that most people go for at a reasonably early time, although this may have changed with iron being discoverable earlier. Anyway, by the time you CAN build it, you shouldn't have more than 3ish cities anyway unless you are an utter expansionist whore, so you only need to build a couple of barracks to unlock it for your unit producing city located conveniently next to your iron deposit. And now with caravans you can route production about as necessary to speed up the process so your queue isn't totally dragged down by the extra barrackses (say that outloud and not use a gollum hobbitses voice I dare you) that you won't even use later. The bonus to attack isn't totally amazing but is a nice addition with the upgrades from all of the XP buildings later.

Is it THE BEST. BUILDING. EVER? No, it can be skipped. Is it worthless? I don't think so, I -always- build it! Being able to pinch purchase units that have a smidgeon extra power when you're at a numerical or even technological disadvantage can help tremendously.

Plus, it has one work of writing (I GUESS it's writing) slot... all slots are useful if you plan to win culturally, for example.

Personally, I pop two Scouts, a Worker, and start building the Pyramids and Stonehenge right off, and buy Settlers twice. Once I have that second Settler, my Scouts have discovered my nearest rivals. I plant a city in that direction, and - while I have few cities - start working on (Libraries / Markets / Barracks / etc.), and their mini-wonders. Heroic Epic goes in that city. Just in case.
If it's a coastal city, so much the better.

HE is an always-build for me.

If I recall Barracks and/or some-buildings-with-prerequisite-barracks can give you happiness under Autocracy, do they not? Not sure.

Anyway I find it very useful. I rarely build barracks in every city though, usually just rushbuy them

If I recall Barracks and/or some-buildings-with-prerequisite-barracks can give you happiness under Autocracy, do they not? Not sure.

Anyway I find it very useful. I rarely build barracks in every city though, usually just rushbuy them

In BNW they do, in G&K its only the garrisoned units in Honor

One of the things I love about Civ games and players is the many different types of strategies everyone has. So many suggestions and ideas, and most of them if not all are plausible.

As regards HE, I typically do not build it, but after reading this thread I will probably now invest the time and production to do so.

Great suggestions all!

Top Bottom