Is there any point to RAs now?

Plumfairy

Prince
I'd read several posters claim that these suckers have been nerfed into the ground, so I started to pay attention to how much they were giving me.

You folks weren't kidding! They give a pittance now. It seems like my money is always better spent on CS allies, or rush-buying a building, or if worst comes to worst just leaving it in the bank in case I need to rush buy some military units or something.

In theory I suppose it might be worthwhile signing an RA if I was both behind in tech & I didn't have any science buildings to rush-buy. (And I didn't have any new science buildings coming up in the nearish future.) But that never happens. By the time I don't need money to buy buildings anymore, I'm one of the leaders in tech, so my money is always better spent elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Science for gold is always good imo, regardless of the amount you get. Others will say it's better to use your gold on other things, and they would be right. I prioritize science, however as Brandenburg Gate enhanced bombers kick ass......

I'd read several posters claim that these suckers have been nerfed into the ground, so I started to pay attention to how much they were giving me.

You folks weren't kidding! They give a pittance now. It seems like my money is always better spent on CS allies, or rush-buying a building, or if worst comes to worst just leaving it in the bank in case I need to rush buy some military units or something.

Thoughts?

On the other hand, how many buildings/military units are you buying for, say, 300g? If you don't have Patronage rocking, though, it may be that increasing one CS by 15 influence or so is better for you. As long as you're getting more out of it than the AI (in that you are behind them in science) I think they may still be worth it.

I still use them but don't rely on them heavily at all anymore. I'm finding them consistenly underwhelming! Can anyone explain how the RA mechanic works now, as it's been changed quite a few times? I thought that you couldn't get more science than your trading partner, ie, both people got the same amount of science.

I seem to do ok with RA's in the early game when I'm playing tech catch-up. You just have to pay attention to the completion turn and try to make sure the median available tech value isn't going to be really low at that time based on your research path. So if you have a lot of lower bracket techs to clean up, try to time it right.

Later on in the game though, when I'm pulling ahead in tech, it doesn't seem worth the effort. By that point the world is usually a pretty violent place anyway, so any DoF means making an enemy elsewhere, and it doesn't seem worth saving a couple turns. For that reason I usually clear the right side of rationalism (after grabbing secularism) before the left since I'm not getting the benefit of RA's by that point anyway. I'm pretty new to civ 5 though so strong possibility I'm doing it wrong.

I think you are doing it wrong. From other posts you've made (e.g., referencing diplomats), I assume you're playing BNW. The median tech mechanic only applies to vanilla, not G&K or BNW (yes, the War Academy article hasn't been updated). So, if you are trying to manage your RAs based on median tech at the time the RA resolves, you are doing it wrong.

Please review the link I provided a few posts ago. That thread starts out with some misconceptions about RAs, and then proceeds to a better place.

I think you are doing it wrong. From other posts you've made (e.g., referencing diplomats), I assume you're playing BNW. The median tech mechanic only applies to vanilla, not G&K or BNW (yes, the War Academy article hasn't been updated). So, if you are trying to manage your RAs based on median tech at the time the RA resolves, you are doing it wrong.

Please review the link I provided a few posts ago. That thread starts out with some misconceptions about RAs, and then proceeds to a better place.

Thanks Browd, yeah I play BNW so apparently I've been operating under a mis-understanding of the current mechanics the entire time.

I'll say they are worth it. With just 775 BPT max I won a science game on Diety.

Top Bottom