Isabella and the Chamber of Secrets

Aggie, I :worship: you :) From a game that I was despondent about because it wasn't attracting any attention, we've now got a thriving roster! Great work :goodjob:

Okay, here's the roster:

Nad
Stuck
Aggie
Mad-Bax
Control Freak (?)
Meli

Still room for one more (two if Control Freak decides to give it a miss) if anyone else wishes to join.

Remember guys, it's 24/72, so plenty of time for everyone. I like to play at a relaxed pace so everyone can chip in with their opinions between turns. Looking forward to it! I'm going to play my turns soon and post the save file. Please post files in the form of COSdate.sav (or .zip).

25 turns each for the first 2 players (myself and Stuck) as they are 50 turns of peace in which we need to set Aggie up for some classic offensive action. Then it's 10 turns each. Aggie's first turn will be the start of the first war, which will last 25 turns, ie, until midway through Control Freak's turns (as the roster stands). Then 25 turns of peace, which will take us until the end of my second play, so Stuck's 2nd play turn will be the beginning of the 2nd war. And so forth, I'm sure you get the picture. This way, we'll all get to spend some of our plays fighting, and some at peace.

Onward to glory!

@Nad: you're welcome, in fact I only posted a remark in response to CF's suggestion for another game. :)

Also: you might want to hold the final place in the roster for someone we really like to see join. I'm not going giving a name here, because he should not get a feeling that I pushed him towards playing ;)

Aggie....okay, sure, the final place is reserved.

Mad-Bax....welcome! Not played a SG with you before, looking forward to it!

Stuck: by all means, include as much fiction as you wish...I look forward to reading it :) I'm not sure why the start pic isn't loading on your computer, as it's fine on mine and seems to be fine for everyone else :confused: Maybe you could simply download the save file and get a proper look at the start?

I'm fairly new to SG's but I'm comfortable with this difficulty setting. (Famous last words).

Could you confirm the patch level. I'm assuming 1.21f (UK). If it isn't then I'll just patch up to the required level.

Thanks.

As for the game, I think settling on the incense is probably the accurate play. I'd go with that. How are you going to pop the hut?

If you do it with the worker b4 settling you won't get barbs, a tech or a settler. If you settle, and pop the hut b4 building a military unit you won't get barbs, but you might get a tech or a settler. If you wait till you build a military unit, you will very likely get barbs.

Edit: Modified stupid and inaccurate comment.

And then there were six...

Count me in. (Enough waffling.) Three new friends to meet (Nad Meli and Mad-Bax) and Two ex-compatriates, known for great between turn discussion. How can I take a miss on that?

Guess I should pull out the jar of vaseline for my turn. Settling for peace at all costs may be very...uh...costly.:) I hope you're a war monger Mad-Bax!

BTW, pillaging resources seems to cheapen peace by a lot. Let's hope the enemy has them hooked up so we can disconnect them.

How about this...once writing and embassies are out, we get ROP and send workers in to connect resources. Then ROP expires and we send horses/conquistadors in to disconnect them.

Isabella wrings her hands. "I greatly regret the actions of my overzealous commander. His cruel treatment of your people in disconnecting their only supply of (whatever) was somehow deemed necessary. I only hope that you can forgive his actions. I vow to use every worker of my empire to help you rebuild these improvements and regain your nations assets."

The German diplomat, while wary of the magnanimous offer, could find no fault with the Queen. She had never broken any Rights of Passage before, despite the trampling the armys flying her flag had done. Herr Bismarck had sent him here, not only to demand peace, but to get as many concessions as he could. Certainly, having his road network rebuilt, at no cost to the German people must be considered a concession. A smear of wax, red as the blood of his people, sealed their fate....

Yes, it's PTW 1.21.

Interesting question re hut pop. If we move onto the incense hill, then the hut will be in range after borders expand in 10 turns....that's not guaranteed safe unless we have no military...I had a similar situation in NMT and I built barracks first for a safe pop. I'm not so keen on that in this game because NMT was a high shield start, whereas here we're going to be running at 1spt until we get to size 3-4.
we could use the worker to pop the hut, but I'd rather improve the flood-plains before the plains, and using the worker would take us across a river, which wastes another turn in getting back across the river. Any thoughts? Should we just build warriors as normal and risk barbs from the hut?

I'm a warmonger until the AI get nationalism. War tends to go pear shaped for me then until I get tanks.

Hopefully you guys will get me up to speed during this time.

Control Freak: welcome again, this time for sure! :D

As for your little plan....interesting...it's not ROP abuse because we're helping connect things, and building roads, which cannot be negative in any way. But, there's a few drawbacks... connecting resources for the AIs may help them far more than it would hurt them when we disconnect them. Secondly, that would require a lot of spare labour that we may not have...and thirdly, it's not until conquistadors that we can really put that plan into action. It certainly has some potential though, and you could make it a personal mission in one of your turns to make herr Bismarck look an utter fool :D

Yeah, but if you connect their resources, give them time to trade them away, and then pillage them, what does that do to their rep? :groucho:

If we irrigate the FP we're on then cross the river to pop the hut, we should get there two turns before anything we build. That means leaving the FP unroaded. But because of the river penalty, a road on the FP wouldn't have any affect until after the second FP is roaded also. The worker would then be able to irrigate the plains (which is like a fast mine on grassland) and then move to the second FP. Roads will only be helping income at first rather than movement because of the position of the river and our need to prioritize the FPs.

I definitely think we need to get a second city out ASAP. Otherwise our unit cost will be too high to build up our military.

It might be wise to plan for the first war as a purely defensive one. Let the other civs abandon exploration and walk a century or two to get to us before peace is settled and they have to walk back.

Originally posted by mad-bax
I'm a warmonger until the AI get nationalism. War tends to go pear shaped for me then until I get tanks.

Hopefully you guys will get me up to speed during this time.
Oh man, I just realized we're going to get hammered if the AI get a tech lead in the Industrialization age.

Let's hope oscillating war beats them down before this point.

These people were destined for greatness. Of that, there was no doubt. In time, legends would abound of their achievements, in peace, in war, in the in-between.

These people in question were those that would come to be known as the "Spanish". Led by the mysterious, tempestuous and remarkably long-lived Isabella of Castile, the stories that would be written about them would be stories of heroism, of innovation, of brinksmanship, of insanity, and of strangely cunning plans that involved hooking up saltpeter only to disconnect it a while later....;)

This, however, is not one of those stories, as you've no doubt guessed by the low-budget style of writing. This is the simple account of their humble beginnings. Every empire begins with a silly little man taking a city out of his backpack...this was no exception, although the backpack was a remarkably fine one with stupendous pale blue stitching.

The heart of the great Spanish empire was Madrid. In 3950BC, however, Madrid was a grotty little....ooh, sorry....Madrid was a splendidly styled village of 10,000 souls, set in the rolling hills of Incensia, so named because of the little sticks of nice-smelling stuff that were supposed to be used in religious ceremony, but which the rude peasantry used for roll-up cigarettes. As stupid as the peasants were, however, their working of the land was second-to-none. The fields around Madrid were beautifully fertile thanks to the nourishing effect of the River Not Appearing In Non-Midas Touch, You B@stard, which the locals rather thankfully abbreviated to the River Nainmtyb. On the principle of "if some water is good, even more is better", some of the peasants were sent out to flood the fields in an attempt to drown the crops.

Exasperated by the stupidity of her people, Isabella decided that some military training would do them good, and initiated a drive to recruit peasants into a militia force, that could be used either to defend Madrid or to explore the countryside in the hope of finding more intelligent people that might actually have a chance of forming a decent empire. At the same time, aware that glorified woodcutters were hardly the basis of a glorious army, Isabella also employed the greatest military and scientific minds she had at her disposal to undergo research and training into new forms of warfare and weapons, that one day weapons made of a stouter metal might adorn her armies. Isabella, being a peaceful woman, had no intention of ever using such an army, but the idea of strong men clad in bronze was such a turn-on...

Over time, Isabella's peasants and explorers discovered tribes and villages in the area around Madrid. Isabella was pleasantly surprised at these meetings, for it seemed that some of these barbarian people had knowledge of the world, and was disppointed, therefore, that these peole showed little willingness to join her cause. Using all her charm and the threat of non-existent might, Isabella persuaded one group of barbarians to give her detailed knowledge and maps of the lands they inhabited and had explored. Another group of barbarians were so charmed by her alluring majesty that they offered to join her wisemen and give them instruction on the making of clay pots, that the food harvested in the fields might be stored. Another group of barbarians, however, were less enamoured by her charms and decided to make a rabbit stew of her envoys. Isabella, not entirely sure how rabbit stew could be made out of humans, was very proud, therefore, (and let's face it, utterly amazed) when her envoys made a stew out of the barbarians. So bold was their example, that the inhabitants of the next sizeable barbarian village near Madrid decided to abandon their homes rather than face such overwhelming military strategy.

By 3150BC, Isabella's wisemen had mastered the art of working bronze into sharp weapons. Isabella was, however, willing to overlook the fact that it took them the best part of a millennium to garner such knowledge, because the results were quite...sexy....So she asked the wisemen next to direct their efforts towards finding even more heavy metal, and that is how Isabella came by her time-honoured monicker, Iron Maiden. :D

As reports and details of the lands surrounding Madrid came to Isabella's attention, she was particularly intrigued by foreign cuisine. Hazy reports from the north drifted in about certain "spices" that could be added to any meal to provide tastes quite unimaginably pleasurable (the reports forgot to add that people who ate them also spent a great deal more time in the toilets). And reports from the west told of remarkable fields in which grew food so bountiful that the people of the region were fat and bloated. Not too keen on the fat and bloated, Isabella did, however, like the idea of having so much food and laying on most splendid banquets for her favourite bronze-clad warriors. The decision was therefore easy. Madrid was turning into a large and unsavoury city anyway, and Isabella initiated a recruitment of peasants to be directed to these wonderful areas of the world to claim them for the Spanish crown.

This brief story ends shortly. Before it does, contractual engagments bind it to mention that in 2950BC, contact was made with the Egyptian people. Isabella has asked the writer not to spend too much ink on them. She confirms that the Spanish wisemen taught the basic Egyptians the use of a standardised catalogue of symbols to denote events and histories in exchange for the knowledge of using stone for building, her wisemen having informed her that bronze was entirely unsuitable for such endeavours. Isabella wishes to take this opportunity to make plain, however, that despite contrary rumour, Cleopatra is in no way more beautiful than her, that she does, in fact, look like a dachsund (Cleopatra, that is, not Isabella), and that Isablla has a much more rounded chest. So there (Isabella's words).

And now the report in time-honoured turn-log fashion.

Turn 1, 4000BC. As agreed by the team, the settler is moved onto the incense hill, while the worker begins irrigating the flood-plain.

Turn 2, 3950BC. Madrid is founded. We are near the south-eastern corner of our continent. We begin training a warrior, while research is set to bronze working at max.

Turn 5, 3800BC. Irrigation complete, worker starts roading fp tile.

Turn 8, 3650BC. The road is complete. Worker pops hut, for maps of the region, showing another goody hut to the north, and a beautiful city site, with a river and 2 grassy wheats to the west.

Turn 9, 3600BC. Worker begins irrigating plains.

IT: Madrid size 2. warrior-------> warrior

Turn 10, 3550BC. Our first warrior will explore north.

Turn 12, 3450BC. Borders have expanded.

Turn 13, 3400BC. Worker begins roading plains tile. Warrior takes a chance and pops a hut for barbs :(

IT: one barb attacks, dispatched with no damage. The others scarper.

Turn 15, 3300BC. We have a lot of jungle to the north.

IT: one of the wandering barb warriors attacks our warrior on a mountain, we win, no damage.

Madrid: warrior --------> warrior.

Turn 16, 3250BC. The new warrior to explore south-east. Worker moves to a second flood-plain tile to improve it. Warrior to the north spots another goody hut and some spices.

IT: Madrid to size 3.

Turn 17, 3200BC. Worker irrigating flood-plain. Luxes to 10%.

Turn 18, 3150BC. Northern warrior pops hut for Pottery! Southern warrior spies another hut.

IT: bronze-working researched, start iron at max.

Turn 19, 3100BC. Exploring.

IT: warrior ---------> settler

Turn 20, 3050BC. Temporarily change settler to temple as I pop hut in south, but deserted; back to settler. New warrior to head west.

Turn 21, 3000BC. Worker roading flood-plain tile.

IT: Egyptian warrior arrives at the border of Madrid.

Turn 22, 2950BC. Cleo is polite, and we exchange alphanbet for masonry. Cleo has 10g, we have 13g, equal everything else.

IT: Madrid grows to size 4.

Turn 23, 2900BC. There are 3 Egyptian warriors floating around Madrid I don't want to take any chances so the warrior who was supposed to explore west lingers in the vicinity. Luxes to 20%.

Turn 24, 2850BC. Worker moves to final flood-plain tile. Egypt now has a second city.

Turn 25, 2800BC. Worker begins to irrigate. I pass on to Stuck.

Notes:

we have 2 warriors close to Madrid. I recommend bringing the south-east warrior to Madrid, and send the west warrior exploring. The north warrior is till trampling through the jungle.

Iron-Working is due in 17, so we'll know where the iron is before going to war.

Our opponents (F10) are Egypt, Mongols, India, Korea, England, Ottomans and Celts.

Note the wheat to the west....I think we should send our first settler there, settling on the hill. Then we've probably got time for one more settler, before full military preparation.

2800BC Save

Oh great, another massive jungle start.

Nice job on exploring and a great writeup. Fabulous timing on the work hut-pop. Which way is egypt? Do you know?

I think we would do well to get cities three tiles apart (tight build) much like an AW campaign. I also think we shouldn't reach out too far to grab lux/resources. We will be at war soon enough and can take liberate any resources the AI may have claimed. Lets just build cities every third tile on our way towards something we want and if we don't get all the way there. Raze whoever did. Keeping tight build pattern will make our growth faster (less settler walking) and easier to defend. Our road network is our lifeline right now. Without it, we're no better than the AI. For that, we need to get some workers out soon too.

ControlFreak: the Egyptian warriors came from the west

As for the build, I agree on tight, but I do think that we have to get those wheat for the 2nd city...also, the hill there gives defensive benefit. Then, we should fill in cities in between in 1 tight-build formation.

Stuck: no real need for a dotmap just yet. First settler, as I say, on the hill to the west of the 2 wheat, across the river. Next settler, on the forested plain north-east of the gold mountain outside Madrid (I'll illustrate them on the map for you). Then, military preps, barracks (if we have time), spears, warriors, archers whatever. Please play 25 turns, maybe leaving the units unmoved on your last turn so Aggie can position tham as he wishes for his war declaration.

illustration as requested

red dot....first settler

yellow dot....second settler

SAAM, I think you're to play 25.

I would put cities on the hills:
1) SW of Gold (on river, three tiles from Madrid)
2) NW of wheat (pending more exploration of that area.

Past that, it looks like a rough start. The only good thing is all the rivers. I think our priority should be commerce (see our trait). Build all along the rivers before anywhere else.

Thinking interms of RCP (I hate to but it is the in-thing) A distance of 3 (3 diagonal or 2 orthogonal) would give us 6 out of 8 cities in the first ring but the west, NE and SW directions would not be on a river and would make my first priority city above impossible. A modified RCP would only build the four cities NW, N, NE and SE as those are well positioned for our varient anyway. This would allow priority 1 and 2 above. Another city to the SW at 4.5 could probably be build on the river with good grassland. (Haven't throughly reserached that but I think, if possible, that would be a good third city. (Second if food bonuses are under the fog.)

Top Bottom