Isabella and the Chamber of Secrets

Here's my illustration:

Either Yellow or Red are priorities, Red only to build towards Yellow. Purple is probably next but if food bonuses, it may be first. The four blue dots are at corruption distance 3 (making a really tight build but manageable). Other the Blue dot N of Madrid is the one that makes it particularly tight. Since it doen't really gain anything, it could be moved to the 4.5 distance that the red dot is at (i.e. move blue dot one more tile to the north). That would give three cities at distance 3, and three cities at distance 4.5. Not a corruption boon, but better than if they were all scattered.

EDIT, note that red and purple are at the same distance from captial.

Also note that NE blue dot is a food1 city until a harbor is built.

Actually, reviewing my map we could get nice cities with everything at distance 4.5 (push all blue dots one north, south, east or west). The dots NW, N and SE would become two cities 2 tiles apart. That would be great placement for most cities and the NE city on the cost would gain some grass to be able to grow before harbor.

Yeah, not really tight build, but close. Since our 1turn movement is bumming until engineering anyway, I had another thought. Forget strict tight builds and capitalize on RCP. At D=4.5 there are a really nice set of cities.

Yellow can still be first built if SW doesn't have food bonuses. Then prioritize purple dots in the direction of nearest neighbor/resources.

It's not a tight build but it does make good use of the rivers and gains the advantage of 9 cities at first city corruption.

Nad@, next time, please turn on gridline for your picture post.;)

The NW dot is actually in the forest OFF the river if it's to stay out at 4.5 (shift it about a half tile NW)

BTW, the W purple can grab both wheat with a temple (we are religious) so maybe Yellow is a lower priority?

I just ran Alexman's corruption calculator and it says without any courthouse, the yellow dot would be at 50% corruption and the purple dots would be at 13%. That would make the purple dot a much better settler factory than the yellow. Plus less walking time to get there, but more turns needed to build/rush a temple.

Once the two wheat are irrigated both red dot and yellow dot will be able to share them, and therefore between them would make good settler/worker pumps surely.

If Yellow dot is moved 2 tiles NE then we clear a jungle for free. It would mean cultural expansion required for secon wheat tho.

In short I vote for the 4.5 radius RCP. The yellow dot can stay where it is, but I do like using settlers to clear jungle.

This is now 3 SG's I'm in with Jungle starts. :( I think I might change my nick to Tarzan.

whoa, we have a lot of analysis going on here! I'm glad to see everyone chipping in in the discussion.

Now, RCP. It's a great idea and fair play to whoever discovered it. But I do NOT want it to become the sole motivating factor in city placement. I don't mind using it in a city grid placement, but as far as I am concerned, if whole dotmaps are designed purely in RCP, that's too far into the realm of exploits. The corruption calculation is flawed....the corruption of cities equidistant to the capital should be the average, not the lowest of those cities. I want our empire planned for resources, rivers, defence etc, not to explout a loophole in a game formula.

Looking at CF's dotmap with the purple dots...those are all 2 squares away from each other, ie, a cross between RCP and ICS. I don't want to be a party pooper, but I do want to discourage that sort of play.

Let's not worry too much about exactly how we're going to do our cities just yet. We're all agreed on the city to grab the wheat, and we all agree we need another city in between Madrid and this city, which can be placed on the yellow dot in my illustration, or the red dot in CF's illustration...they're equally good. But let's not go for this all-out RCP. We should have a better idea of what the map looks like after Stuck's turn, and we can do a proper dotmap then.

Stuck, the Harry Potter inspiration was provided by Jack Merchant. In my original story, the mention of Isabella's diary was taken direct from the diary in CofS ;) So Harry Potter references are positively encouraged! :D

The Court scribe, Diego Mercador y Matamoros, humbly requests a chance to add his notes of the events during the reigns of the Catholic Kings, Isabella of Castille and Ferdinand of Aragón, to the chronicles herewith entered into history.

Don Mercador has made a satisfactory recovery from a bout of intense melancholy, and feels he could enlighten the populace at large with his account of the events leading up to the discovery of the mythical Chamber of Secrets and the role of Her Royal Majesty Isabella therein.

[dance] [party] :worship:

The great man joins!!!

Jack, for someone who's native language is not English, your writing is amazing!

Nad...played
Stuck....playing
Aggie.....on deck
Mad Bax
Control Freak
Meli
Jack Merchant

Originally posted by Nad
The fields around Madrid were beautifully fertile thanks to the nourishing effect of the River Not Appearing In Non-Midas Touch, You B@stard, which the locals rather thankfully abbreviated to the River Nainmtyb.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope you'll do (and write) fine. I haven't got all the variants of this game, but when this game will be close to the end (happy end !), I'll have a straight reading of it.
Good luck ! :thumbsup:

My Lady, My Lady, wake up please, My Lady.
Slowly, Isabella woke up, What was her dream about? Something about a Chamber, a Snake and a Lion. In her dream, she was the Lion, but she slowly became the snake, lashing out at everyone and everything around her. What would make her do that? And why? What did this dream mean?
Pushing her dream aside, she spoke with her head adivsor, Albus. Albus was talking on and on about the new cities which would be founded to further the growth of the empire. These cities would have something called a 4.5 ratio which Isabella did not understand, but Albus assured her that it would be good. Satisfied, she set out to continue the growth of the empire, the dream at the back of her mind.
In the year of 2710, Ronald, her advisor to the moods of the people awoke her with a start. She was having the dream once more. Only this time, when she became the snake, she went on a rampage. Why? Why would she do that? Oddly, the number 23 stuck out at her. It was flashing in the dream. Placing the dream aside, she was told by Ronald that her people would riot unless she raised the luxuries which they received. She did, puting it at thirty.
Three seasons later, in the year of 2590, Isabella was talking with her ladies in waiting when her adivsor of Foreign Peoples, Harold, entered the throne room in a pant. "My lady", he began. "Word has come to me from our explorers that we have reached contact with a new people. They call themselves the Mongols and they seek friendship."
"Excelent" replied Isabella. "What do they have to offer us?" "You're going to love this, My Lady. They posess knowledge which we do not. They have weapons which soar through the air like a Phoneix and they have beasts which man can ride upon. They will teach us how to do these things of how to communicate more efficently and how to build large castles like this one. They will throw in 35 golden pieces to boot!" exclaimed Harold.
"Wonderful, Harold. I, Isabella, Queen of the Spainish welcome the Mongol People to this world and I hereby authorize this trade." "More news, My Lady" stated Harold after the papyruswork was done. "We have a source of these beasts outside of our home. We can begin training them soon.
In the next season, the year of 2550, a group of men was assembled to create the next city. "Brave men of fortune. You are pure blooded Spainards. Go forewards and speard the Glory of Isabella!" However, all was not well with Isabella. The dream still plauged her. Only now the number was no longer 23, it was 16. Why did it move? And now she saw herself oppressing her people. Why? Why? Why?
In the year of 2470, a great warrior was put in charge of guarding Madrid. This warrior had caught the eye of Isabella, and she was intrigued by him. However, Albus would let her go nowhere near him. "Another group of men to found another city is what we need. In eight seasons they will be ready."
In the year of 2350, great celebration erupted throughout Madrid. No longer were they the only city. Now there was Barcelona, the sister city. Barcelona began work on a group of workers and celebration continued throughout the empire. Isabella, however, was nervous. What if the people did not like Barcelona? What if the other cities were mean to it? Albus assured her that the people would like the city.
In the year of 2150, there was more happiness, as a second band of men set out to found another city. The dream still haunted Isabella, and now a priestess was called in to help her. High Priestess Virgina tried all she could to help Isabella, but the dream was tearing her appart. She would no longer take anything that had to do with the number nine. A group of spearmen were to be hired to help her and guard her bed chambers to keep evil spirits away.
In the year of 2110, a new form of ore was discovered to the NorthWest of Madrid. This ore was brought back to the city, where it was studied by the Witch Doctoress, Hermione. This ore was known as Iron, and it could help create a deadly type of weapon which the Enemies of Isabella, as few as they were, could not fight against.
In the year of 2070, a group of workers were formed to help Barcelona grow. Seven was an unlucky number in the kingdom, as the dream now showed Seven as Isabella went on a rampage as the snake.
In the year of 1950, the city of Seville was founded. Isabella was very greatful to this city, for it would bring in gold. To celebrate, she went to her hair styleist and had her cook up some rabbit.
In the year of 1830, the spearmen who were to help Isabella with her sleep were finished with their training. Isabella was to be sedated, because she was screaming about the three cities which her empire was made of. "Three! It is an eeeeeeeeeevillll number!" The guards broke a vase over her head to knock her out as Albus pretended not to know her.
In the year of 1790, the city of Seville produced a warrior to protect it. Things were going oddly for Isabella. The number one was killing her slowly. Very slowly. No matter what Hermione and Virgina tried to do, nothing could help her.
Come... let me rip... tear... kill... Let me kill... Blood... I smell blood... BLOOD! I need it! I crave it! Give me the blood of my enemies.
The Chamber within Isabella had been opened. The serpent was now loose.

The Save
The Map

Great work, Stuck :goodjob:

Loved the unlucky numbers and the countdown :D

Go Aggie! Warmonger Extraordinaire!

Oh by the way: I know nothing about Harry Potter :eek: So my story will go another way ;).

Regarding the RCP: I know that I won't be building any cities (we won't produce settlers in the war phase...). But I actually like a lot of the city sites in CF's last dotmap... Anyway: I still have to see the world that SAAM explored!

Aggie: Basically, we have several people. You'll have to create a Military Person for Izzy to yell at and I sugest the name "Neville"
Albus (Dumbledore): Iz: Head Advisor HP: Headmaster
Ronald (Weasley): Iz: Trade HP: Best Friend
Harold (Potter) Iz:FA HP: Uh... he is HP
Virginia (Weasley) Iz: High Priestes/Culture HP: Possible love interest (dont get me started)
Hermione (Granger) Iz: Science HP: Best Friend/Possible love interest of Ronald (Ron)

That pretty much sums up my characters and what JKR does with them.

Also- the Nmost warrior is trying to find his way through Mongol teritory

Top Bottom