Israeli elections!

The average of the exit polls of the 3 main tv channels are :

Kadima - 31
Labor - 22
Israel beytenu - 13
Likud - 11
Shas - 11
Leumi Mafdal - 8
Senior party - 7 (surprise! they want pensions..)
Bible Judaism - 6
Meretz - 5
3 Arab/communist parties - 7 (together)

Notice Kadima+Labor+Senior+Meretz are 65 of 120, and hold a very good coalition option.

Sharon is still in a coma and will not enter politics.
Happy new government! :goodjob:

Oh, and "green leaf", "the greens", together with about 10 more tiny parties didn't pass the needed 2%..

Damn, talk about a Likud collapse. :goodjob:

I'm guessing you guys will get Labor policies on the economy and Kadima policies regarding the Palistinians.

To all those cheering the Likud collapse, keep in mind that Israel Beitenu is a much more radical right wing party. In principle, we not have the following lines:
(all approximate)
Left: Labor+Meretz=26
Center: Kadima+Pensioners=38
Right: Likud+Israel Beytenu+Mafdal=32

The collapse of the Likud did not weaken the right, it merely brought a new, more radical, leader to the top.

after about half of the votes counted:

Kadima - 28
Labor - 20
Israel beytenu - 11
Likud - 12
Shas - 13
Leumi Mafdal - 8
Senior party - 8 (surprise! they want pensions..)
Bible Judaism - 6
Meretz - 5
3 Arab/communist parties - 9 (3,3,3)

so...

Left: Labor+Meretz=25
Center: Kadima+Pensioners=36
Right: Likud+Israel Beytenu+Mafdal=31

and it all depends on Olmert to decide, but he'll have to take Labor for his policy, which are base 48. I hope for Metetz and the pensioners, although he may choose Sha"s .. :(

Wikipedia has the results with 90% of the votes counted:

Kadima: 29
Labour: 20
Shas: 12
Likud: 12
Yisrael Beytenu: 11
National Union/National Religious Party: 8
Pensioners Party: 8
United Torah Judaism: 6
Meretz-Yachad: 5
United Arab List: 3
Hadash: 3
Balad: 3

Likud managed to pull back to tie for third and Yisrael Beytenu fell. Balad was not expected to pass the 2% mark but apparently managed to.

Kadima + Labour + Pensioners + Meretz-Yachad = 62
OR
Kadima + Labour + Shas = 61

Results after 99% of the votes were counted:

Kadima - 28.
Labor - 20.
Shas - 13.
Israel Beytenu - 12.
Likud - 11.
National Union - 9.
Pensioners - 7.
United Tora Judaism - 6.
Meretz - 4.
Arabs - 3+4+3=10.

What we have is a very dissapointing result for Kadima, a pretty good one for Labor, and total crash for the Likud.
It's interesting that Liberman didnt get to be the third largest after all, Shas got a surprisingly large result(the polls were predicting 10-11 for them) and Liberman was supposed to get 14.

Of all the rest, Meretz got hit pretty heavily. 4 seats is not much even for them, and a total of 10 for the Arabs is also pretty suprising. They were expected to get something like 8.

Sounds like perminant boarders can be put through on the basis of those numbers. Must be a good thing.

Riesstiu IV said:
My prediction: A Jewish person will get elected.
:lol: Going out on a limb with that prediction, there, Riesstiu! ;) But yes, it's like they've taken over the whole country!!

Seriously, tho, I find these results pretty hopeful (unlike their neighbors' recent elections). Good to see war weariness still kicks in for democracies. But I guess I've always been pretty pessimistic about how Israeli democracy is constructed--like it's constitutionally geared toward giving too much power to fringe groups who can make or break coaltions. I really suspect that is the major factor contributing to Israel's share of the mess-making over there (30%, imo, vs 70% blame going to the unlamented Mr Arafat).

Sounds like perminant boarders can be put through on the basis of those numbers. Must be a good thing.

Actually no. To make big moves, Kadima needed to have roughly 40 seats. Now they are just the usual size for a weak ruling party. Like the Likud and Labor have been during Netanyahu's and Barak's rule.

A left wing coalition that will be willing to withdraw even more will consist of:
Kadima+Labor+Meretz=52.
That's the core of parties who will certainly support such moves. You also have the 10 votes of the Arabs but if a decision to withdraw from territories passes only thanks to Arab votes, there will be hell and mayhem.

Among the Jewish parties who could agree to another pullout you have:
Shas+UTJ+Pensioners=26.

The Pensioners are an unknown. No one expected them to get into the Knesset and no one knows what they support.
Shas opposes a withdrawal, at least today, but they are a very elastic party. With the correct budgets going to the correct places, they could be convinced.
As for the UTJ, I have no idea.

In short, a withdrawal coalition can be built, but it's not as easy as it seemed to be a month ago and it will be an unstable coalition.

Top Bottom