JB01 Newb/Rookie C3C training game...

If we manage the core well, pump settlers, get some workers out, and work the gold tiles when sheilds are not needed to fill out a build then I'm more convinced that we can get the slingshot. The four cows are just nuts!

I really want to figure out where the horses are.

When writing comes in we should see what we can get for it and then make a call on the trade.

@Gator, thanks for the advise.

howdie all,

1- those V's on my dots were a sign of OK to settle here, NOT an alternate city location.

2- i would start a rax or 3, as we need MUCHO PLENTY TROOPS ASAP.
the germans et al, will start getting frisky pretty soon if we wont have a proper defence.

3- trading alpha once we have writing is a must, IMIO, as they will get a lower cost for it, and might start researching it.
get the most you can out of that tech - BROKER IT AROUND.
once we get writing though, DONT trade it (as we will want to gain the slinger first)

4- if indeed it is a conquest win were aiming for, a relaxed city spacing is adequate.
more focous should be given to finding where the ponies and nuggets are.

otherwise, looking very good.
ill bet on a 11th century conquest win ;)

azzaman333
jb1964
Mr David
Mirc - Up
Vaiar - On Deck
drakdan - In the hole

Throughout the remainder of the game I would like to encourage those that are "Up, On Deck, or In the hole" to feel free to grab the last save and post an "I got it". We'll just make it a dynamic swap so we don't get anyone playing twice before another member gets in a turn.

I have never been a fan of "skips". My hope is that the game will move more briskly and everyone will have an equal hand in slaughtering the AI. :devil:

For anyone who may not know this...

On the very turn a city grows in population it also receives the sheilds & gold from the tile assigned the new worker.

For instance, set Karakorum's governor to emphasize production (shields). On that turn the 5 food fills up the granary the new citizen will be assigned to a 2 shield tile and you get those two shields. With this in mind you can manage a city so that even though your “product”, a settler maybe, is due in 2 turns it can be produced on the very next turn by working the needed number of shields minus 2.

That doesn't sound all that clear but I don't have time to word-smith it.

Have a good one.

BTW, SW &/or Gator, care to offer a critique of the first 20's? I have started one but don't have time to finish it today.

azzaman333
jb1964 - In the hole
Mr David
Mirc - Out until the 13th (See his sig :))
Vaiar - Up
drakdan - On Deck

Vaiar & Drakdan, either is welcome to play. I'm not going to grab unless we have a 48 hour lapse. I don't want to play two sets before anyone else has had a chance to have one.

@MM, No gold!? Bummer. I knew you got the shields and assumed you would also get the gold. I tossed the "gold" in there to just further entice our team to MM.

jb1964 said:
BTW, SW &/or Gator, care to offer a critique of the first 20's? I have started one but don't have time to finish it today.

I'll try to take a look tomorrow night. I was thinking of playing the first 20 turns myself as a comparison.

Hi guys,

The uni is bombarding me with assignments, but I'll find some time to play today.

edit: just received an email from a teacher, an assignment on the Black-Litterman model has been canceled :) I'll post my turns this afternoon, or tonight (unless Drakdan already played.)

DJMGator13 said:
I'll try to take a look tomorrow night. I was thinking of playing the first 20 turns myself as a comparison.
I played past my first 20 and wound up in a war w/ Germany, abandonded a city, diverted builds to regular archers and just pulled through. Brutal freaking start.

BTW...

Black-Litterman Model
When people talk about asset allocation, they are usually referring to a mathematical model developed by Nobel Laureate Harry Markowitz called mean-variance optimization. Mean-variance optimization combines forecasts of expected return, expected risk and correlations between assets to create a set of portfolios that maximize return for a given level of risk. Investors often find that the resulting portfolios are unintuitive, highly concentrated and that the allocations are very sensitive to small changes in the forecasts.

The Black-Litterman model recognizes that the fault lies not in mean-variance optimization itself, but in the forecasts used. Instead of using historical numbers to predict future returns, the Black-Litterman model starts with the set of returns implied by equilibrium in the market. It then adjusts these returns for any views that the investors hold about sections of the market or relative future performance of different asset classes. The resulting portfolios are intuitive and diversified.

I think I'll take a look at my investments. Wallet's empty. Mission accomplished.

Ok, I got the save and I am going to play. :) Gee, I hope I do not screw up.

2150 BC (Mr David's turn) Moved settler + settler west to settle at city spot #2 in the JB and SW dot maps. Karakorum: Settler > Warrior
2110 BC South-East Scout sees dark borders of Zululand! Worker will construct a road to Kazan to spread the benefits of the gems.
2070 BC Two Carthagian warriors show up at our borders. Ta-Tu: archer > archer. Karakorum: warrior > settler
2030 BC Those Greeks seem to have a nice little empire in the SE.
1990 BC Tabriz founded on the coast to the NW. Tabriz > worker (Is that wise?)
1950 BC Kazan: warrior > worker. Ta-tu: switched on a scientist to prevent disorder the next turn. BAD news: Zululand has writing; the others don't. Carthagian warriors move N towards Germany. SE scout found 3 gems near Zululand.
1910 BC We learn to write, which leaves me with a tough decision. Only the Zulus have writing and the other civs are interested in trading techs for writing. However, Soul-Warrior insists in refraining from trade, so I do not trade. I hope we still get to Rep first and we are researching CoL now. A scout found furs near the Greeks.
1870 BC Karakorum: warrior > settler. This warrior goes towards the settler, which was moving to the SW.
1830 BC Ta-tu: archer > Granary. I decided to move the science slider up 10% to 70%, which shrinks the budget by 2 each turn.
1790 BC Gems in three cities!! Worker will go connect the curragh-building city to the S.I remove Ta-tu's scientist: the granary is now 12 turns away.I turn the luxury slide back to 20% from 30%, still shrinking 1 a turn. Ulaanbatar found to the SW. Carthage demands 20 gold, I say no. Now they're annoyed. Zululand started building the oracle.
1750 BC Karakorum: settler > warrior. I leave the settler in Karakorum for the next player, probably Drakdan.

Attachments

• JB_01_1750BC.SAV
    73 KB · Views: 45
Trade writing immediately. If the Zulu have it then we need to beat them to the punch before it's worthless. SW is insane and should not be trusted for sound advice. :eek: :D
BW, CB and Wheel are available from Germany and Greece. The Zulu have already traded writing to the Germs. Germany has a few gold and Greece has none so I would approach Bismarck first.

The Entertainment slider can be pulled back to 10% and research can be pushed to 90% to bring in CoL in 11 turns. That will drain the treasury so it's probably more like 13 turns after a few more settlers start binging in some additional income. It could be shorter also if we can get gold out of Bismark. Actually, that's a sound idea. Trade to Germany for a tech and all his gold. Push the research slider. Go to Alex for whatever's left.

Awsomeville will riot on the next turn. Hire a scientist.

We'll be first to CoL. We can hold it for a few turns so we don't divert an AI to Philo but I doubt there will be an effect.

The core city should build settlers and workers only. Here's a MM scheme for workers. Pop off two in the hear term, go for more settlers and then a few more workers.

Keep the barracks town going on archers. A granary here gives the city a mixed personality that we don't need at this time.
Ulanbaataan can be set to a granary. The two workers to be made in the short term should chop forerst to get the granary in short order.

Let's try this for the new dot map.

azzaman333 (1) - On deck
jb1964 (1) - In the hole
Mr David (1)
Vaiar (1) -
drakdan - Up!
Mirc - Out until the 13th (See his sig :))

Ya know, Germany has some rough land to grow from.

I think our first victim might be Carthage.

Are we building archers to rush Carthage, or just to keep AIs from demanding/declaring?

I played the first 30 turns to do a comparison to your game. I made the same first move with the scout (exposing the 4 cows) but then I did 2 major things different. First, I settled KK on the forest not on the hill. There is enough food to have both of the first 2 cities at +5fpt, which is key for 4 turn settler factories. The second thing I did different was where I settled Ta-Tu. I positioned it so that it could grab 2 of the cows and 2 of the BG's. This will allow both cities to be 4 turn settler factories running on a 4-6 cycle. I'm also only 9 turns from WRIT but I'll have to re-evaluate the sliders next turn after the settler in KK completes.

Here is a look at my game at turn 31 (I hit the space bar when I thought I was making notes).

Here is my log in spoiler form.

Spoiler :

4000BC
Scout NE, spies the 4 cows
Settler N (food is no problem and I want to max shields by using the hill later, this also allows the 2nd city to be built in a position to grab 2 of the cows for itself)
Worker1 irrigates

3950BC
Settler founds Karalorum - set to warrior (we'll grow fast and I can use him for MP while building the granary)
Scout E E
start ALPHA - 100% in 38 turns @ 0gpt

3900BC
Scout S S (wanted to light up 2nd city site, see another BG there by the coast)

3850BC
Scout W S (waiting to explore the jungle/marsh area for later - looking for nearby GHs) find a sugar

3800BC
Worker, since the cow is on the river (already earning commerce) I skip roading and move NW to next cow
Scout S W - found another sugar

3750BC
Scout W (spies GH) N (pop GH - we get a map)
Worker mines this cow

IBT - KK warrior => settler (decide to squeeze out a settler before the granary with the high food in the area)

3700BC
Warrior forts
Scout S S - head south instead of running him into the forest and wasting the 2mp

3650BC
KK grows to size 2 (at +5fpt)
Scout S E

3600BC
Scout E S (spies a brown border across the salty coastal tiles)

3550BC
Scout S S (no land route to brown border)

3500BC
Scout S N reached end of the map this way

3450BC
KK culturally expands & grows to size 3

I could adjust lux to 20% (even with the warrior on MP) sci to 80 but it slows ALPHA from 22 turns to 27
Instead I leave sci at 100% and hire a scientist dropping the turns to ALPHA to only 14, this slows the settler by 1 turn but knocked 8 off the research, we're still at 0gpt

Again I move the worker NW without roading because of the river
Scout NE and sees a CART warrior
Contact CART: 35gold, up MAS & ALPHA, down WC
Trade: buy ALPHA (still 12 turns away) for WC and 1 gold

Scout continues N (now backtracking over exposed map)

Set research to WRIT in 30 turns 100% @ 0gpt

3400BC
worker irriagtes (this allows each city to have 1 irrigated Cow and 1mined Cow)
Scout N N

IBT - CART learns BW

3350BC
Scout NW N

IBT - CART now have CB as well (trade or from a GH?)

3300BC
Scout N N

IBT - KK settler => granary

3250BC
KK now at size 1 - research is slowed but I'll leave it set at 100%
settler SE
Scout N NE

3200BC
Scout N N (finally back to clearing fog)
settler SE
Worker roads the western most cow

3150BC
KK back to size 2 (pickup the pace on WRIT - from 44 to 40 turns)
settler SE to grass tile NE of eastern cow
scout N N

IBT - CART learn Wheel

3100BC
settler founds Ta-Tu (mm KK to the western iCow) set to worker (using the iCow S of KK)
scout W N
2nd city speeds up research to 28 turns

3050BC
worker E S to other iCow tile
scout W N

3000BC
worker roads
scout N E next to a GH

IBT - Most Powerful announced we're 6th, the Carts are last

2950BC
KK size 3 - mm city to the unimproved riverBG and rasie lux to 10% (WRIT still in 22 @90% but could be 19 turns with a 2nd MP)
decide to change Ta-Tu build to a warrior so I can keep research maxed
Scout N (pops GH - get CB) then moves E

2900BC
scout SE E

IBT - Ta-Tu warrior => worker

2850BC
Warrior2 NW towards KK
Have to mm TT now since it grew to size 2, hire sci - WRIT in 15 turns now
Worker SE to river BG
scout N E

2800BC
worker mines
warrior2 NW
scout S S

2750BC
KK size 4 - mm off forest (placed there on growth) to lake food tile - additional commerce gets us down to 11 turns for WRIT
warrior2 to KK for MP
Scout E E meets GER
Contact GER: 1 city, 0 gold, up BW, MAS, Wheel, down nothing - no trades possible

2710BC
Scout S
warrior2 forts in KK

2670BC
scout S

IBT - the GER spear and archer disappear into the northern desert - let's hope they're not coming to visit us
KK granary => settler
TT worker2 => warrior

2630BC
Treasury warning - I only have 9 gold and nothing to trade so I lower sci to 80% leave lux at 10% for WRIT in 12 (vrs 10) @ +1gpt
worker2 SW to cow
scout SE

2590BC
KK to size 5 - forces lux to 20% @ -1gpt (the settler completes in 4 turns then I'll adjust sliders)
worker2 mines the cow
scout SE (in the marshy jungle)

2550BC
worker1 roads
scout S

2510BC
scout SE

saved here on the 31st turn - settler and a warrior due next turn

When prepared both cities should be 4 turn factories (even after corruption)

Here is the save file if anyone wants it.

Got it. I'm only doing 10 turns, right?

Pre-turn 50: Sent Settler to Kazan. Check funds, we can lower luxury to 10%. Awesomeville will riot next turn so I convert a citizen to a scientist. Raise science to 90%, -2 per turn. Sell Writing for Bronze Working, Ceremonial Burial, and Iron Working.
51: Scouting. Roading. Switch Karakorum to Worker. Move settler to archer, who will go to protect it.
52: Nothing new.
53: Hovd founded in tight formation. Upon closer inspection I don't think it would be better to give up that desert tile to Germany, so that they don't declare war early, which they are more prepared for than we are. We will still control most non-desert squares, so it will not negatively impact us.
54: Same, Still scouting, Curragh spawned. Since I have scouts by Greece, and expect to find no one else in that direction, I will send the Curragh to skirt the western side of the world. Trading situation is dull. There are plenty of un-researched techs, so I believe Republic is in the bag. It depends on how much leverage can be made off Code of Laws. I usually have enough cash at this point to found embassies, but we have none. This would be a priority for me if we weren't rushing for the Slingshot. Army is still much too small for my tastes.
55-57: Dull stuff.
58: Adjust tax/science/lux sliders. 2/8/0, Code in 3.
59: Worker from Karakorum sent to hill, to quickly finish that and connect Tabriz,
60: Tabriz has a nice shield potential. Tabriz now has 5 nearby workers, which can switch to Hovd and Kazan quickly. Ta-Tu micromanaged for extra food, finishes granary in 1. Karakorum set to produce a worker. Code of Laws finishes in 1 turn. An unprotected Settler is going north to claim more grassland squares and expand our empire towards Germany without taking much desert. Press Enter.
61: Saved here, without me micromanaging ANYTHING AT ALL this turn.

Attachments

• JB_01_1475 BC.SAV
    80.4 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom