JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Oh yeah, she exists. That would make more sense.
No it wouldn't? Constantine was emperor of all Rome, not just the eastern half which is representend in Byzantium's city list. It doesn't even include Ravenna!

Oh and yeah, his capital should definitely be Rome. Byzantium wouldn't acquire prominency until later after his death.

No it wouldn't? Constantine was emperor of all Rome, not just the eastern half which is representend in Byzantium's city list. It doesn't even include Ravenna!

But it's still closer to his time. And emphasizes the probable focus. Obviously, the ideal solution is for a unique City List, which maintains these aspects, but it would make more sense to go with Theodora, as Constantinople will most likely be the capital - ergo, less work :p

Oh and yeah, his capital should definitely be Rome. Byzantium wouldn't acquire prominency until later after his death.

No, not definitely. It depends highly upon my focus. Constantinople is Constantine's most prominent legacy, and if I can't allow the player to re-create that legacy, I'd like to uphold it myself (similar thing with the Turks - the capital isn't Istanbul, because I want to player to create Istanbul for themselves, as faciliated by Mehmed's design).

Damn, the one time I could theoretically help out and it's something I'm terrible at. Hooray...

I've got an idea: see which cities Rome and Byzantium have in the Fall of Rome scenario and make the list based on that. I'm not entirely sure Firaxis's chose the most important cities, but it should at least help.

But it's still closer to his time. And emphasizes the probable focus.
Both are close to his time, as he ruled the entire empire. Fouding Constantinople does not make him an eastern Roman emperor, I admittedly get very annoyed when people imply so when discussing Constantine. Which is why I was triggered into stopping lurking to post now. :p

Obviously, the ideal solution is for a unique City List, which maintains these aspects, but it would make more sense to go with Theodora, as Constantinople will most likely be the capital - ergo, less work :p
While a new city list do would be the best choice, I only contest that Byzantium's city list would fit more than Rome's. The Roman city list ignores much of the empire outside Italy, yes, but that makes sense as it is above all a Roman Civilization and Italy is its birthplace. So it is a non-arbitrary restriction to the scope of that city list that makes very much sense. The Byzantine city list however is ill-suited for a full roman empire as it blatantly ignores half of the empire Constantine ruled in an arbitrary way, as at the time of Constantine there was no disparity between eastern and western halves.

Like...

Making a Russian civ and only including Novgorod's city list.

Both are close to his time, as he ruled the entire empire. Fouding Constantinople does not make him an eastern Roman emperor, I admittedly get very annoyed when people imply so when discussing Constantine. Which is why I was triggered into stopping lurking to post now. :p

I wasn't implying that. I was merely conceding to the point that Theodora's city list would make more sense, based upon the knowledge that Theodora's time is closer to Constantine's, and the assumption that it would therefore include a more accurate representation of what cities were called then (even if omitting the West). Admittedly, however, I thought Theodora was from the 400s, so you're right, they are both roughly equal in time, so maybe cities stayed the same.

While a new city list do would be the best choice, I only contest that Byzantium's city list would fit more than Rome's. The Roman city list ignores much of the empire outside Italy, yes, but that makes sense as it is above all a Roman Civilization and Italy is its birthplace. So it is a non-arbitrary restriction to the scope of that city list that makes very much sense. The Byzantine city list however is ill-suited for a full roman empire as it blatantly ignores half of the empire Constantine ruled in an arbitrary way, as at the time of Constantine there was no disparity between eastern and western halves.

Fair enough. I took the first answer I got, simply because I have not given the matter much thought nor research, and so I assumed anyone would know better than I, but that was certainly irresponsible. So Augustus it is unless someone wishes to offer an equally compelling counter-argument.

I googled around for maps of Constantine's empire to get city names from and got these from all around the empire (maps used are listed at the end, since I didn't list everything):

Spoiler :
Constantinople
Rome
Ravenna
Nicea
Adrianople
Mediolanum
Cordova
Heraclia
Virunum
Augusta Trevororum
Tolosa
Arlate
Narona
Cibalae
Serdica
Sinope
Tarsus
Antioch
Damascus
Tyre
Heirosolyma
Cyrene
Tarentum
Chrysopolis
Laodicea
Cyzlcus
Tarraco
Narbo
Augusta Taurinorum
Toletum
Tingi
Hispalis
Emerica Augusta
Treveri
Sirmium

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/b8/8c/79b88c3de3f5be8032548a93e1b1ece5.jpg
http://www.bible.ca/maps/maps-churches-nicea-325AD.jpg
https://i0.wp.com/www.smalldeadanimals.com/dividedempire.jpg

Fair enough. I took the first answer I got, simply because I have not given the matter much thought nor research, and so I assumed anyone would know better than I, but that was certainly irresponsible.

I've probably given it even less thought and research :p; I was just thinking it would be weird for Constantine to lack Constantinople in his list.

I googled around for maps of Constantine's empire to get city names from and got these from all around the empire (maps used are listed at the end, since I didn't list everything):

Spoiler :
Constantinople
Rome
Ravenna
Nicea
Adrianople
Mediolanum
Cordova
Heraclia
Virunum
Augusta Trevororum
Tolosa
Arlate
Narona
Cibalae
Serdica
Sinope
Tarsus
Antioch
Damascus
Tyre
Heirosolyma
Cyrene
Tarentum
Chrysopolis
Laodicea
Cyzlcus
Tarraco
Narbo
Augusta Taurinorum
Toletum
Tingi
Hispalis
Emerica Augusta
Treveri
Sirmium

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/79/b8/8c/79b88c3de3f5be8032548a93e1b1ece5.jpg
http://www.bible.ca/maps/maps-churches-nicea-325AD.jpg
https://i0.wp.com/www.smalldeadanimals.com/dividedempire.jpg

Yay, an actual non-copied city list! If I were to make adjustments, I'd change the spelling of Nicea to Nicaea (since that's how it's spelled in Theodora's list, and otherwise there could be two cities with slight variants of the same name), and Cordova to Corduba (Cordova is an old anglicization of the Spanish form of the name; Corduba is the Latin form that the Spanish derives from).

Maps lied to me, lol.

I took the names at random, too, so the order might use a little tweaking, even.

I can't seem to open the production queue when I start a new game. Only using the mods you have listed as supported. Otherwise, I haven't had this issue before. Great work by the way!

:please:*sniffle* I Hope Senpai Will Notice Me *sniffle*:please:

Venerable Lee, is there anything else that I should support, other than Civilization Appropriate Great General and Admiral? I cannot support this one, as I do not want my mods to throw 50 'this column does not exist' exceptions. Maybe seek out the Pope Gazebo on adding this column into the CP?

EDIT: Right, so I've had to think about how I'm going to do Events support for CP: Events. I can't add the Events into the civs themselves, as there are things that I need in the Events Compendium mod that I'll be releasing soon-ish, but I also couldn't realistically add a reference to all 50+ civs of mine in the Events Compendium in order to only add the events when, for instance, Constantine was active. So what I'm going to do is allow civ-specific events to trigger normally if that civ mod isn't active - but when it is, the chance of that event triggering will be increased.

I have also begun work on Constantine so that it will work with Randomized Unique Components (or whatever its called) - assuming I set everything up correctly. The CP should alleviate any performance detriment that comes with the switch-over... I hope...

I'm playing as Iceland and having a lot of fun, but there seems to be an issue where the game stutters and hangs up when you enter the city screen of a city with a Thingstead. I had a similar issue with More Civilizations' Three Affiliated Tribes, so I think it's something to do with the little hover-over info box in the top left of the city screen. Any ideas as to what my problem is? If not, how would I go about taking that feature out of Iceland?

In any case, thanks for the continued work. Love pretty much everything you've released!

Venerable Lee, is there anything else that I should support, other than Civilization Appropriate Great General and Admiral?
No, none of my other mods require any kind of support for custom civs.

I'm playing as Iceland and having a lot of fun, but there seems to be an issue where the game stutters and hangs up when you enter the city screen of a city with a Thingstead. I had a similar issue with More Civilizations' Three Affiliated Tribes, so I think it's something to do with the little hover-over info box in the top left of the city screen. Any ideas as to what my problem is? If not, how would I go about taking that feature out of Iceland?

In any case, thanks for the continued work. Love pretty much everything you've released!

Yeah, that can cause stutters, depending upon your system, how many mods you're running which use the same thing, etc. As it's Sukritact's creation, I'm not really sure what can be done to improve performance. I think as I go through and update my civs over the coming months, I'll add an easy-to-use switch so that you can turn it on/off as you need. In the meantime, though, just delete the folder called 'Sukritact's Modular City Info Stack,' which is located here: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD's the Commonwealth of Iceland\Lua

Yeah, that can cause stutters, depending upon your system, how many mods you're running which use the same thing, etc. As it's Sukritact's creation, I'm not really sure what can be done to improve performance. I think as I go through and update my civs over the coming months, I'll add an easy-to-use switch so that you can turn it on/off as you need. In the meantime, though, just delete the folder called 'Sukritact's Modular City Info Stack,' which is located here: Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD's the Commonwealth of Iceland\Lua

Ideal. Thanks a bunch, buddy. :high5:

lurking in the shadows; I'm at home so I'm a little busier than I usually am at uni (hmm that doesn't sound right at all). at least, during the day anyway. No more lounging around watching daytime tv and browsing the forum on the governments dime.

Why?

Top Bottom