Resource icon

JFD's Rise to Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any economic buffs got an idea for a substitution for the names: High>Medium>Low, for Prosperity? They're a bit uninspired. Here's a rundown of what the levels do:

Spoiler :

Also, starting work on Prosperity. Yay :D

Yaaay! Looking awesome! :D But shouldn't low Prosperity cause emigration? ("1 Citizen Migrates from Babylon") //and Unhappiness?//

Human development and welfare is often described by HDI (Human Development Index - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index), and it uses four tiers: very high, high, medium, low.

But alternatively it could be something like "Abundant - Mediocre - something", or "Developed - ... - ...".

Also these icons of yours are so gorgeous :cool: I'm enjoying the new 'WLtKD' icon really much :D (I guess from EU4?)

Any economic buffs got an idea for a substitution for the names: High>Medium>Low, for Prosperity? They're a bit uninspired. Here's a rundown of what the levels do:

Spoiler :

Also, starting work on Prosperity. Yay :D

I guess there's a mistake in the Migration part - as both high and low now say a citizen migrates to Babylon.

About the levels, I think, at least High should be called Prosperous. Or maybe Affluent>Average>Destitute? Prosperous>Mediocre>Meagre? Strong>Balanced>Weak if talking about currency?

Yaaay! Looking awesome! :D But shouldn't low Prosperity cause emigration? ("1 Citizen Migrates from Babylon") //and Unhappiness?//

Human development and welfare is often described by HDI (Human Development Index - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index), and it uses four tiers: very high, high, medium, low.

But alternatively it could be something like "Abundant - Mediocre - something", or "Developed - ... - ...".

Also these icons of yours are so gorgeous :cool: I'm enjoying the new 'WLtKD' icon really much :D (I guess from EU4?)

For the moment, there is only immigration. See below for a rough explanation. I may add emigration later, though.

Yup, the Migration and WLTKD icons are from EUIV. Prosperity icon is leftover from Civ V, but because Enginseer uses this for his morality system, I'll probably find something else to represent.

I guess there's a mistake in the Migration part - as both high and low now say a citizen migrates to Babylon.

About the levels, I think, at least High should be called Prosperous. Or maybe Affluent>Average>Destitute? Prosperous>Mediocre>Meagre? Strong>Balanced>Weak if talking about currency?

Actually not. When Prosperity is low, Citizens migrate to the smallest city, whereas when it is high they migrate to the largest. On the fence as to whether to disable migration if you only have the capital. Both high prosperity and low prosperity are meant to have their uses, which is why emigration isn't (atm) a feature.

Thanks for the name ideas - I'll pick something I like.

Actually not. When Prosperity is low, Citizens migrate to the smallest city, whereas when it is high they migrate to the largest. On the fence as to whether to disable migration if you only have the capital. Both high prosperity and low prosperity are meant to have their uses, which is why emigration isn't (atm) a feature.

What determines which city are they are migrating from? Low Prosp: Highest -> Smallest | High Prosp: Smallest -> Highest? If cities have same Pop then random?

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it! I'm curious how it will interact with Overpopulation too :D

Any news about the Currency aspect?

What determines which city are they are migrating from? Low Prosp: Highest -> Smallest | High Prosp: Smallest -> Highest? If cities have same Pop then random?

That would be it, yeah. But at the moment its just Low: Prosp. --> Smallest | High Prosp.: --> Highest. As it stands, this simulates both internal and external migration, but if I subtracted the migration population, then it wouldn't represent the former. On the other hand, if I don't do that, you're otherwise getting free Pop every so often - so it's a concept vs. gameplay thing that I've yet to fully ponder.

Sounds interesting, looking forward to it! I'm curious how it will interact with Overpopulation too :D

Any news about the Currency aspect?

Overpopulation is to be re-named Development, which I think nicely wraps up CID :D

Currency is your means of directly manipulating your Prosperity value. Normally, your prosperity calculates your proportion of the world GPT output (i.e. all civilization's GPT combined), but a currency will increase this proportion to include 10% of the GPT of civilizations sharing your currency. For instance, if Pacal has 10 GPT and has adopted Pokedollars, and Curtin has 20 GPT and has also adopted Pokedollars, Pacal will, as far as Prosperity is concerned, have 12 GPT, and Curtin will have 21. That 10% margin is increased to 25% when you adopt Banking, and to 50% when you take the Credit Reform in Soveriegnty.

What happens economically when you prosperity is weak? Are there benefits to not sharing currency? (Pound v Euro) and how do you affect the strength of prosperity? Through luxury and resource acquisition and how developed your civ is? Shame we can't replicate inflation.

Did you want some extra work done on prosperity icons? I improved the Daric because my first version was rough, but IIRC some of the others looked a little plain.

Economically, if your Prosperity is low, things become cheaper, whereas, if it is high, things will become more expensive - because GPT will generally be low for low Prosperity civs, and conversly GPT will be generally higher for high Prosperity civs, this works out nicely.

The benefit to not sharing a Currency is it will allow you to maintain a lower prosperity - which has the effect of, as stated above, reducing the cost of purchasing things (units, buildings, mercenaries, and tiles), as well as directing migrants toward your smaller cities.

The strength of your prosperity is, first, based upon your GPT vs. the GPT of all other Civilizations. On top of that, it is then based upon the strength of your Currency - how many civs have adopted it and how much GPT those civs have. I don't have any other methods just yet.

Inflation is already in the game, IIRC, though like supply lines its pretty obscure.

I like the icons I have, but if you feel you can improve upon them, go right ahead.

City state adoption, policy changes, and religious beliefs could be another way to increase strength.

When trading with an AI who's currency is not worth as much as yours, do they need to offer more in gold trades?

No idea that supply lines was a thing. Why are there so many hidden features. :p

First we hear of updates that are planned after Sovereignty, and now Prosperity is being developed!

Now I just need to get my head round politics and economics...

What about Ruralization and Urbanization for the population inflow and outflow from the largest cities?

The plans sound exciting!

IMHO Maintenance costs (representing salary levels) should be raised by prosperity too, to have prosperity to have another active effect. (High prosperity should then have another bonus to compensate, too.) With currency it'd add even more realism - a Greece with a low prosperity joins a monetary union (same currency) with a strong Germany -> Suddenly the Greek maintenance costs rise over the level supported by its weak economy -> Alexander starts asking GPT from everyone...

I also think that a joint currency should not wholly raise everyone's prosperity, but more like drift their prosperity levels towards the average of the monetary union. It would be more in par with real economics, as with today's Germany is actually benefiting from a weak Euro (its prosperity lowered with shared currency with weaker civilizations). Sharing a currency with smaller nations could then be a way of having a strong Gold output yet maintaining competitive costs and maintenance. And for smaller nations sharing a currency with larger could give them the benefits of a higher prosperity.

(I'm an economics buff so contact me anytime on this :p )

First we hear of updates that are planned after Sovereignty, and now Prosperity is being developed!

Now I just need to get my head round politics and economics...

Only as far as I can. So for economics, not very :p

What about Ruralization and Urbanization for the population inflow and outflow from the largest cities?

I prefer using the concept of Migration, particularly as then I can put it into the Foreign reforms category for Sovereignty.

The plans sound exciting!

IMHO Maintenance costs (representing salary levels) should be raised by prosperity too, to have prosperity to have another active effect. (High prosperity should then have another bonus to compensate, too.) With currency it'd add even more realism - a Greece with a low prosperity joins a monetary union (same currency) with a strong Germany -> Suddenly the Greek maintenance costs rise over the level supported by its weak economy -> Alexander starts asking GPT from everyone...

I also think that a joint currency should not wholly raise everyone's prosperity, but more like drift their prosperity levels towards the average of the monetary union. It would be more in par with real economics, as with today's Germany is actually benefiting from a weak Euro (its prosperity lowered with shared currency with weaker civilizations). Sharing a currency with smaller nations could then be a way of having a strong Gold output yet maintaining competitive costs and maintenance. And for smaller nations sharing a currency with larger could give them the benefits of a higher prosperity.

(I'm an economics buff so contact me anytime on this :p )

Great idea - and this'll further balance Crimes, I think. I'll think about a further benefit to prosperity.

If I did that, how would I make the value of Currency scaleable? As it stands, Banking and Credit increase how much of the GPT of other civs it factors into your own. It doesn't sound like I could do that if a shared currency averaged Prosperity.

Sounds exciting! Would increased Wonder Production work as an incentive for high Prosperity-surely more developed/affluent/whatever societies are going to have more resources at hand undergo these projects.

Hi, I play with BNW and CBP and when i add rise to power v.22 and I load the game I get the following-
unable to load texture [assets\ui\art\notification\notificationcityeventor ange.dds]
unable to load texture [assets\ui\art\notification\notificationcityeventgl ow.dds]
unable to load texture [assets\ui\art\notification\notificationeventorange .dds]
unable to load texture [assets\ui\art\notification\notificationeventglow.d ds]

and the game is blinking when it loads and the icons on top are dead and it is not really possible to play. what can I do?

Wow, two at the same time :p

You need to be using the latest beta. These files are included in the latest version of the CP (from the 23rd/24th IIRC), but they are referenced by RtP v22.

Sounds exciting! Would increased Wonder Production work as an incentive for high Prosperity-surely more developed/affluent/whatever societies are going to have more resources at hand undergo these projects.

Hm, perhaps. It seems a bit mismatched, though.

The unable-to-load-texture/fonticon thing started to appear to me with the latest (April 23rd) CP Beta (not present in April 9th Beta), I think someone reported it there but it doesn't seem to gather any attention. The game seems to be confusing a lot of separate icon atlases and displays broken messes of pixels instead of proper icons. I'm wondering whether it's a DLL issue (happened to me with WHoward's DLL's before) or if it's a mixture of DLL+Too-Many-Mods. :p

Glad to see progress being made on Prosperity. Looking forward to it. Do you establish your own currency when you research Currency? How do you adopt the currency of others? Any plans for Ideology synergy (stronger bonuses when you're sharing currency with a Civ of the same Ideology)?

Speaking of Ideologies, when you get around to Sovereignty, will there be any Reforms or other ways to reduce the Piety-penalty from Ideologies? I imagine a Theocratic Civilization will need this more than others, so maybe the Theocratic Wonder could take care of that itself if not a generally available Reform.

EDIT: Another penalty you could associate with High Prosperity (because we all love picking on High Prosperity Civs for some reason) is a slower Growth rate, while Low Prosperity Civs get a higher Growth rate. Of course, that's more of a 20th Century thing and wouldn't really apply as well in earlier eras of the game. So maybe, if you went with such a system to reflect Demographic Transition, the penalty and bonus could be associated with how much of the Tech Tree the Civ has completed. Early on, it won't make a big difference, but late in the game a High Prosperity Civ might well have to rely entirely on migration to keep its Population growing. Probably shouldn't really become noticeable until the Industrial Era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom