JOE-07 - Surfer Dudes!

Something that looks like that... Try tectonics 60% water.

70% Earthlike could also work, and it always has a second inhabited continent with other islands.

Please use the wet setting as the normal one sucks. Too many hills and plains.

I'd like this kind of map, some islands, but not too many, great for some nice tactical warfare.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was originally after, but I think the map generation scripts have changed somewhat since then. Continents, Custom Continents, Hemisphere's and Tectonics all seem to give a fairly close approximation with some tweaking, but include a tonne of tiny islands. Also, the Domination problem rears its head with three or more continents.

However, I've come up with a solution that will work...it may not be pretty but it'll work and eliminates the possibility of Domination (without actually turning Domination off).

Stay tuned...the start is coming soon...

The surfer dudes are getting itchy feet. we need ourselves some prime real-estate so it's time to stick our boards in the sand and get to it.

The Settings:

Why Pangea? It gives the best map with minimal tiny islands (with a solid shoreline setting) and also greatly lessens the possibility of an accidental domination win. The downside is we're going to have a huge front to defend. :sad:

Why Monarch? Why not? I find it scary, but others don't and you can usually play a level higher in an SG than you can in your own single player games.

Our Illustrious Leader:

Why Elizabeth? Well, to make up for me being scared of Monarch, I felt a whole lot better going for someone Financial (especially since we're going to be coastal) to help with maintenance costs, and also Philosophical for churning our Great People given the opportunity.

Our Start:

First thoughts? We start with Fishing so getting a Workboat out seems a good plan whilst teching to Bronze Working. After a Workboat or two, a Worker may be a good idea so we can then chop out a Warrior and Settler.

If we can take out a near neighbour early, it'll help with fast expansion with getting bogged down in culture wars too early.

I'm not a Monarch player, so by all means feel free to correct any blatant strategy errors I'm making. :goodjob:

Finally, I've randomised the rooster, and here's how it came out...

ROOSTER:
Quotey - Up - 20 Turns
fuRRie - On Deck - 15 Turns
The Sansman - 10 Turns
JesusOnEez - 10 Turns
frankcor - 10 Turns

I'll attach the save in 48 hours to allow for some pre-game discussion now we have a start picture.

Yeah, would definately be nice to have, although if the game goes on a while it'll be things like coal, aluminium, oil, uranium etc that we'll start missing. I think we'll be lucky to have everything accessible by coastal cities although oil is a good bet (once we can get off shore platforms). Still, we'll worry about that later!

Not much of a Coastal start, is it?

Hm- worker first and research bronze working or workboat first and research to Archery? I think we should go to BW first either way, as it's only Monarch :p

For a more long term look at things, I think we should use some forests to Oracel Metal Casting.

Work boat first is best I think.
Looking at the tech path, i'm thinking different.
I was thinking grabbing AH before going BW, giving us the ability to pasture those Cows and maybe get a lucky horse (and Chariot rush an enemy?)

I'm generally comfortable on Monarch, I have only recently restarted playing, so rookie mistakes might happen.

I'm also not a fan of the oracle, I feel the hammers used in the wonder are better used elsewhere, but that's a discussion for later.

Edit: and we are playing Epic, so in some reports I will be swearing that the game is bloody slow, as i'm used to normal :D

Not much of a Coastal start, is it?

You have no idea how many re-rolls I had to do before I got a coastal start. When I was testing on Prince, pretty much every other start was coastal. Monarch levels seems very unwilling to give a coastal start...I think I re-rolled 25/30 times to get that start so be happy with it! :lol:

The way I'd personally play it (on Prince) would be to work the grassland hill to get a WB out ASAP, then work the Clams whilst building a Worker and teching BW. I'd then concentrate on growth and whipping a Warrior/Settler ASAP whilst teching to AH to hook up the Cows or Archery if Copper isn't in the near vicinity.

The Oracle would be nice, and like you, I usually grab Metal Casting with it as it's usually good trading fodder (and I'm a production whore and like Forges).

BUG / non-BUG seem to play well together. I haven't had problems in other SGs where some players use it and others don't.

Assuming we have multiple sources of sea foods, we may have to trade 3:1 or 4:1 for strategic resources that aren't near our coasts. Even that's iffy without some good friends.

You have BUG installed as a mod instead of in custom assets. Everyone will have to do this, because loading the save without BUG installed as a mod will cause BTS to stick itsself on loop, starting, saying ti can't start then reloading the save. I think it would be best if we just rerolled without a mod, but if everyone is down with installing it I have no problem.

I prefer not using BUG, cause we'll it has it's hick-ups and comp. issues.

I personally prefer to play with BUG but if we chose not to I can remove it.

Also JOE just a warning I will be out Thursday so if my turn come up before Friday I may need a skip/swap.

As for strategy have no comments at the moment too busy but I will most likely have a chance to think about the game this evening. Probably will spout some repetitive or useless comments.:rolleyes:

I agree with Frankcor, that is quite a starting location. I definitely think that we should settle in place and use the Capital as a great person farm. Obvious build two work boats to start and I think we should tech for Bronze Working and see if we have any copper. An early war might be a good idea.

Oh bloody hell, something's come up that won't allow me to takjee it until tommorow. If it's okay with JOE, a swap would get the game movin and kickin and screamin'

ROOSTER:
Quotey - Swap with fuRRie - On Deck -15 Turns
fuRRie - Swap with Quotey - Up - 20 Turns
The Sansman - 10 Turns
JesusOnEez - 10 Turns
frankcor - 10 Turns

No prob Quotey, as long as fuRRie can take it in the next 24 hours we'll go with the swap. If he hasn't picked it up by the time you're ready, grab it yourself.

Got it, will be playing in a couple of hours.
I'll stick to the standard plan!
I'll try getting some screens aswell, I like good and vivid reports :D

Top Bottom