JReligionDecay Mod: Religious CivTurmoil

Jeckel

Great Reverend
JReligionDecay Mod by Jeckel

This mod's main purpose is providing the chance of religions being removed from cities.
Based on config.ini options and other criteria, each city has a chance each turn to experience
a Turmoil Event, specificly a Religious Turmoil Event. You are able to set the min number of
turns between Turmoil Events, the min number of religions required in the city, the percent
chance of the even happening, and several others.

If all the factors are met then Religious Turmoil strikes your city and a
religion may be removed. As is now Religious Turmoil has no effect other then removing a
religion, but in future versions I am planning to incorporate other negative factors. >:)

Note: Warlords Compatablity.
I have not had time to even try loading this in Warlords, but I don't think there are any conflicts. If you want to try it I give about 95 percent chance it should work with no compatability problems. :) But this mod does not officially support Warlords. Atleast not until I get a chance to personnally confirm that it is compatable.

File: JReligionDecay_v0.1.zip
Compatible: Civ4 v1.61
Mod Folder: Mods\JReligionDecay
Released: August 14, 2006
Size: 23.91 kb

CivFanatics: JReligionDecay Mod v0.1 BETA *File Released August 14, 2006*

FileFront: JReligionDecay Mod v0.1 BETA *File Released August 14, 2006*

I have been hopeing for something along these lines, the well recived inquisitor mod gave players an anti-missionary unit and now this mod parrelels it with a radomized loss of Religions outside the players control.

I would modify it a bit, make conflict rolls occurance very likly at the time a religion is added to a city alrady having one, the religions roll in a combat like fashion defending religions get bonus modifiers for being a stateReligion, and for each existing religious buildings of its type (+2 Temple, +1 Monestary, +4 Cathedral), maybe some additional ones for population and culture level (a larger more cultured city can retain diversity better then a smaller one). Each religion also gets a bonus for the cumulative diplomatic relations of each Faction with that state religion, the founder counts double so for example...

France Buddism +3 relations
China Buddism Founder +2 relations
Aztec Christian -2 relations

Christianity would get a -2 and Buddism a +7

If the defender has Theocracy the State Religion automaticaly wins, If the defender is in FreeReligion or its not initial spread of the religion then their is no defender/attacker diplomacy modifiers or building bonuses, StateReligion can still give its bonus if their is any.

I would drop the minimum turn seperation as that just serves to distract and distort the random percentage of occurance. Also I dont see any point in a number of religions required modifier, convlict should be possible with anything more then 1 religion (and it becomes more likley with each additional religion).

Impaler[WrG said:
]I have been hopeing for something along these lines, the well recived inquisitor mod gave players an anti-missionary unit and now this mod parrelels it with a radomized loss of Religions outside the players control.

Yea, I don't care for any system that grows but never gets smaller.

Impaler[WrG said:
]I would modify it a bit, make conflict rolls occurance very likly at the time a religion is added to a city alrady having one, the religions roll in a combat like fashion defending religions get bonus modifiers for being a stateReligion, and for each existing religious buildings of its type (+2 Temple, +1 Monestary, +4 Cathedral), maybe some additional ones for population and culture level (a larger more cultured city can retain diversity better then a smaller one). Each religion also gets a bonus for the cumulative diplomatic relations of each Faction with that state religion, the founder counts double so for example...

France Buddism +3 relations
China Buddism Founder +2 relations
Aztec Christian -2 relations

Christianity would get a -2 and Buddism a +7

If the defender has Theocracy the State Religion automaticaly wins, If the defender is in FreeReligion or its not initial spread of the religion then their is no defender/attacker diplomacy modifiers or building bonuses, StateReligion can still give its bonus if their is any.

Hmm, interesting ideas. I have been wanting to get into using buildings and trade relations stuff. I won't promise all of that will be added in the next couple reversions, but expect to see some form of that worked in soon. :) :thanx:

Impaler[WrG said:
]I would drop the minimum turn seperation as that just serves to distract and distort the random percentage of occurance.

Well, I'm not going to take any config.ini option out. If you wish it to be possible to have Religious Turmoil every turn if the numbers randomly determine it then just set that option to 0.

Impaler[WrG said:
]Also I dont see any point in a number of religions required modifier, convlict should be possible with anything more then 1 religion (and it becomes more likley with each additional religion).

Well like you said, you have to check it there is atleast 1 religion so you don't needlessly run code for cities with no religion. And since I'm using a int value in the code to check against I don't see the harm of makeing it controlable by the player. Its up to the players to decide what is fun and makes a good game balance, not me, so I offer as many options as seem useable and my time allows me to code in. I personnally don't want my only religion removed from the city, but if you do it is as easy as changing the config option to 1 instead of 2.

Thanx for the input Impaler, I'm glad you like the mod and I hope you have fun with it. :)

This is definitely a neat idea, and one that I hope people build on.

Jeckel, I like an idea of your mod, would you mind if I use it for my mod that modifies religion stuff? I searched for a way to get rid of religion in a city becouse I plan to give "religion unhappiness" for each non-state religion, but also additional religion bonus for state religion..

Another thing, as you're probably experienced modder, could you help me in this thread?http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=183537

Thanks in advance :)

Jeckel, could you explain in detail how does your mod work? I;ve tried to go through Mod Config file but it's too unclear to me.. Is there any random chance that you'll loose religion each turn? Or only during spreading? Or also when someone invents a religion?

All I'm asking for - could you explain how does your mod work now, with default settings?

Perhaps this "event" could happen only if you have a State Religion, specifically a Theocracy? It wouldn't make sense for Freedom of Religion or Pacifism to experience this. The dissapearing of a religion in a city should represent the "oppression" to the non-state religions from the state religion.

Also, when a religion dissapears, there should civil unrest. I can't imagine any religion just dissapearing and everybody just being happy and continuing with their every day lives.

Perhaps even a population decrease, if genocide is involved. Or you could have a religion dissapear, symbolizing a "conversion" to another religion in the city. Or... when a religion dissaprears from a city, it creates a "refugee" (with religion founding traits similar to a missionary) and they can relocate to another city. This could also cause a population decrease by 1 for every religion "exiled" from the city.

Just some ideas that I'm throwing out... that's all. :)

Hey jeckel... We implemented the mod in version .6 of our mod but we had to pull it out in an emergency patch due to massive slow downs @ classical.

Do you think you can take a look into it as I love the idea...

Glad to see people like this idea, I do aswell. But as you can tell it is a complex issue and the code is equally so.

As I've heard that TheLopez is working on a new Inquisition Mod, I am putting this mod on hold until I see what he pulls out of his sleave. After that point I will reexamine this mod and go from there.

@Ket
I'm sure there are some slow downs when unit numbers and such get up there. The data storage method I use calls the SdToolKit alot, storeing data and pulling it back out. That will definetly be fixed in one of the next releases, whenever I get time for that.. probly after XMas.

But you say you intigrated it and it acually functioned? I have never acually had time to sit down and run this mod through the propper tests. So if you have seen it work, did you play with any of the ini options? If that is yes, did they have the proper ingame effect?

I am interested in feedback from anyone who gets what the mod is sappose to do and has/hasn't found it to work ingame. :)

Well it seemed to be doing something :) It needs some logging though despratly.

I was using it in conjunction with your religion units to try to create a much more dynamic religion spreading model.

The problem with the inquisition mod is the AI does not know how to use it, I don't know if Lopez is going to change that.

When I made this component I didn't have a good enough grasp of coding concepts, but I have been recently outlineing some plans for an SDK mod that will incorporate this mod's ideas with the Unit Religion idea.

I'm releasing my current mod tonight and have a few other projects to work on the next couple days, but this is at the top of my list. :)

Top Bottom