Jump from immortal to Diety

i could only place one city next to a mountain for the observatories, my start was more desert than anything, do you just try get plastics asap then?

You need to hit all key science techs (Education, Astronomy if you have multiple cities/capital by a mountain, Scientific theory and Plastics as fast as you can. Of course you can't just beeline them and will have to take detours but the goal is to waste as little time as possible on other things. If you can steal techs from AI - do it. Often I totally ignore bottom part of the tree and go something like Education - Acoustics to unlock Rationalism, Metal Casting + Machinery for workshops and Ironworks, then beeline for Scientific Theory and straight for Radio, then Plastics. I let spies to steal the rest. You might as well burn a couple of scientists to speed up Radio/Plastics or even use Oxford. Being first to ideology is pretty massive.

You need to hit all key science techs (Education, Astronomy if you have multiple cities/capital by a mountain, Scientific theory and Plastics as fast as you can. Of course you can't just beeline them and will have to take detours but the goal is to waste as little time as possible on other things. If you can steal techs from AI - do it. Often I totally ignore bottom part of the tree and go something like Education - Acoustics to unlock Rationalism, Metal Casting + Machinery for workshops and Ironworks, then beeline for Scientific Theory and straight for Radio, then Plastics. I let spies to steal the rest. You might as well burn a couple of scientists to speed up Radio/Plastics or even use Oxford. Being first to ideology is pretty massive.

I do pretty much all that you say, but i never bee line the research labs, i still won the game i was on about comfortable but aye i now know how to improve, only my 3rd game on immortal and won 2 lost 1

Edit: I also built a lot of wonders that game because I got a tech lead, i guess that's what dragged my science down aswell, just need to force myself to not build so many however tempting it is

I've been playing diety dom on duel Pangaea's with 8 civs and no city states. Everyone declares war on everyone and Alexander somehow always starts out on top of 10 plots of uranium. I can't really tell the difference between diety and prince other than the fact the a.i.s have no interest in denouncing and declaring war on anyone but the player.

I do pretty much all that you say, but i never bee line the research labs, i still won the game i was on about comfortable but aye i now know how to improve, only my 3rd game on immortal and won 2 lost 1

Edit: I also built a lot of wonders that game because I got a tech lead, i guess that's what dragged my science down aswell, just need to force myself to not build so many however tempting it is

When you reach education and scientific theory? And yes, wonders do drag you down, they are way too distracting. Bad bad wonders, although very tempting. And shiny. Especially shiny. :)

I've been playing diety dom on duel Pangaea's with 8 civs and no city states. Everyone declares war on everyone and Alexander somehow always starts out on top of 10 plots of uranium. I can't really tell the difference between diety and prince other than the fact the a.i.s have no interest in denouncing and declaring war on anyone but the player.

8 civs on duel size map? GG...

When you reach education and scientific theory? And yes, wonders do drag you down, they are way to distracting. Bad bad wonders, although very tempting. And shiny. Especially shiny. :)

Esp at immortal getting some wonders is not an issue. But only targeted wonders, like Oracle, PT, Eiffel, Hubble, Brandenburg Gate (rushed), Christo, and cultural wonders in CV games ofc. I never bother with stuff like Taj Mahal ...

So you can get some wonders, but you gotta ask yourself if you really need em :) And its good deity practice, to skip em on immortal.

Esp at immortal getting some wonders is not an issue. But only targeted wonders, like Oracle, PT, Eiffel, Hubble, Brandenburg Gate (rushed), Christo, and cultural wonders in CV games ofc. I never bother with stuff like Taj Mahal ...

So you can get some wonders, but you gotta ask yourself if you really need em :) And its good deity practice, to skip em on immortal.

I've won many games on deity without building a single wonder. You don't really need them. Some help (but not really necessary), others just waste your hammers. Once you know what you can get realiably and what is that you really can betefit from, getting them is fairly easy.
But reaching that point is the trickiest part where pretty much every single player who opens 'what do I do wrong" thread hits the wall. Every single time...

Well, it takes time to learn. If you start at the lower levels, and get used to start the game with building Great Library, its not that simple to play games without it ... Habit is very bad thing when it comes to wonders. And most of the early wonders do not have any significant impact or are way off the usual path to Education. Oracle being the exception - getting a free policy at that stage of the game is huge, and the AI doesn't seem to care about it at Immortal. Its possible to get it at deity too, but you gotta have good capital start.

Well, it takes time to learn. If you start at the lower levels, and get used to start the game with building Great Library, its not that simple to play games without it ... Habit is very bad thing when it comes to wonders. And most of the early wonders do not have any significant impact or are way off the usual path to Education. Oracle being the exception - getting a free policy at that stage of the game is huge, and the AI doesn't seem to care about it at Immortal. Its possible to get it at deity too, but you gotta have good capital start.

That's why I never recommend playing and learning on low levels. They just teach you bad habits. :)

And even Oracle is not a cookie cutter, delaying NC is a high price and having strong enough second sity that can build it is extremely luck dependant. People often see wonders as something that can save them or change the course of the game dramatically, but that's just not true. I prefer to see them as are extra perks that you can get when you are already successful. You built a big prosperous empire? Here's your prize. Don't expect to get a prize if you've done badly, you just don't deserve it. :p

Sometimes, you can get Oracle while waiting for the last libraries to finish, and still have all done around T90. I have even managed to get Oracle after NC, I never delay NC with more than 2-3 turns on purpose :)

If you delay NC with 2-3 turns its OK I think, losing around 30-40 beakers while gaining a policy worth serveral hundreds culture points is good trade off and it will pay out.
But when you have to delay for 10+ turns is completely different story.

I prefer delaying 10 turns NC rather Tradition finisher. So I use to go to Oracle. Except if I saw Mayas, England and Egypt on the map.

Sometimes, you can get Oracle while waiting for the last libraries to finish, and still have all done around T90. I have even managed to get Oracle after NC, I never delay NC with more than 2-3 turns on purpose :)

If you delay NC with 2-3 turns its OK I think, losing around 30-40 beakers while gaining a policy worth serveral hundreds culture points is good trade off and it will pay out.
But when you have to delay for 10+ turns is completely different story.

I prefer delaying 10 turns NC rather Tradition finisher. So I use to go to Oracle. Except if I saw Mayas, England and Egypt on the map.

What if you delay Tradition finisher by 2-3 turns when natural policy coming in? Alternatively, what if you are unhappy or set all cities to production focus to finish these libraries? Do you really really need the finisher asap? Does 'free' whatever opener justifies delaying NC by 10 turns? Everything is very situational. Even Oracle is not a 'go-to' wonder. What makes it more attractive is the fact that it's more obtainable than others. But that's pretty much it. The best use of it when you manage to time opening Rationalism straight after finishing Tradition. Then it becomes huge, but that doesn't happen too often. You need a badass start/civ for that to happen.

When you reach education and scientific theory? And yes, wonders do drag you down, they are way too distracting. Bad bad wonders, although very tempting. And shiny. Especially shiny. :)

I cant remember off the top of my head, if i have salt ill go pottery, mining then go straight for the oracle/nc then go straight for education normally, then if i have some cities on mountains ill aim for astronomy straight after

I cant remember off the top of my head, if i have salt ill go pottery, mining then go straight for the oracle/nc then go straight for education normally, then if i have some cities on mountains ill aim for astronomy straight after

You'll see next time you play. Perhaps you are not fast enough to the techs due to low population. Early game is all about growth. And if you want a more specific advice, you can always posts saves/screenies.

I'm not currently on civ 5 atm, was watching mabozir on youtube, but normally i get decent population, I think my capital is pop 23 pop going on 24 at turn 190 then my next 2 biggest cities are both at 16 or something similar

It's okayish, but not really big. Depends on how many cities you have in total. You lose science somewhere. If you say your cities are growing and you beeline all the techs, you shouldn't lose science. Again, you could post a save and/or screenshots if you are interested in a more specific advice. Or just keep on practicing. :)

It's okayish, but not really big. Depends on how many cities you have in total. You lose science somewhere. If you say your cities are growing and you beeline all the techs, you shouldn't lose science. Again, you could post a save and/or screenshots if you are interested in a more specific advice. Or just keep on practicing. :)

i got trapped in by Morocco, Portugal and Persia, as all there capitals were closed to mine, originally i had 3 cities, then they got into a war, razed a city and i placed my own city there at turn 160 i think, so I've never had enough space to grow in this game, also i just got portugals porto city as a puppet, but i think im just going to re start on another map, i was really squished in at the start so had very little room to expand

Top Bottom