Jump from immortal to Diety

What is the point in playing on deity if you eliminate the main factor that makes this level challenging?

It doesn't eliminate the a.i. advantage it just makes it enjoyable to me. It's less entertaining and more tedious to put up with perpetual city spam of 3 pop cities that can churn out any unit in 1 turn forever.

I almost prefer Epic sized maps than smaller maps on higher difficulties. You start with more space between you and your neighbors so it is easier to settle. You also get a lot more CS to ally. I've never played duel, but I can assume that makes space too easy. You also take away one of the AI advantages, RA spam.

The only problem with playing a larger map is the Civ's can get bigger and generate more science. I haven't played much Deity, though I have beat it. I was shocked to see 2 civ's beat me to Apollo by a turn, though bulbing fixed that. I think if I had not beat it by turn 300, I would have lost.

I almost prefer Epic sized maps than smaller maps on higher difficulties. You start with more space between you and your neighbors so it is easier to settle. You also get a lot more CS to ally. I've never played duel, but I can assume that makes space too easy. You also take away one of the AI advantages, RA spam.

The only problem with playing a larger map is the Civ's can get bigger and generate more science. I haven't played much Deity, though I have beat it. I was shocked to see 2 civ's beat me to Apollo by a turn, though bulbing fixed that. I think if I had not beat it by turn 300, I would have lost.

The amount of production cheese the deity ai possesses is unreal. My first deity game I played on a standard sized map with 10 civs and by the time I had satellites Caesar had literally conquered 90% of the land mass and all the other civs. He settled every 4 squares in every direction and just thinking about the 500 turns it would take me to make a dent in his empire gave me a panic attack. Never again....

The amount of production cheese the deity ai possesses is unreal. My first deity game I played on a standard sized map with 10 civs and by the time I had satellites Caesar had literally conquered 90% of the land mass and all the other civs. He settled every 4 squares in every direction and just thinking about the 500 turns it would take me to make a dent in his empire gave me a panic attack. Never again....

I've personally decided to play more Immortal games, because I really didn't enjoy my Deity games. I did it to get the credit, but being so restricted on wonders, and seeing the other civ's with such monster military wasn't that much fun. Check out the victory turn on this one. Venice through the whole game was marching 20+ units through my civ to fight others. I was too afraid to stop him with the massive units he had. Even China was going bananas in this one. After seeing all those units, I started rapidly ramping up my army.

Deity Victory.jpg

I've personally decided to play more Immortal games, because I really didn't enjoy my Deity games. I did it to get the credit, but being so restricted on wonders, and seeing the other civ's with such monster military wasn't that much fun. Check out the victory turn on this one. Venice through the whole game was marching 20+ units through my civ to fight others. I was too afraid to stop him with the massive units he had. Even China was going bananas in this one. After seeing all those units, I started rapidly ramping up my army.

View attachment 377469

I agree deity is nuts. I'm playing a deity game right now, tiny, 6 other civs on a pangea and I'm at war with 3 of 6 on three different fronts. It's a wash so long as you have nukes. Not to roll the other civs but to detonate their nukes before they can nuke you. You can win any game so long as you have the nukes to deal with their random 20 unit armies they pull out of no where and keep their uranium plots pillaged.

I don't prefer the difficulty or am "zomg so good" that deity is the only thing that presents a challenge, it's just the only work around for the ai being so derp and rollable on any other difficulty.

I agree deity is nuts. I'm playing a deity game right now, tiny, 6 other civs on a pangea and I'm at war with 3 of 6 on three different fronts. It's a wash so long as you have nukes. Not to roll the other civs but to detonate their nukes before they can nuke you. You can win any game so long as you have the nukes to deal with their random 20 unit armies they pull out of no where and keep their uranium plots pillaged.

I don't prefer the difficulty or am "zomg so good" that deity is the only thing that presents a challenge, it's just the only work around for the ai being so derp and rollable on any other difficulty.

I actually did war with them, when I got attacked by Venice and Shoshone. I fought off Venice successfully and even Shoshone, until he sent 20 bombers at Babylon and took him in a single turn, 100% to 0. I had to roll back and build a few fighters, but war was surprisingly successful without nukes.

To a few, I can see Deity as their only challenge, but I'm not at that point yet. I'm still trying new things. I have decided to stick with Immortal and try a few different civ's that are different. I did a Venice game last, which was quite fun. I had the ability to win all peaceful victory conditions within 10 turns of each other, I ended up doing diplomacy, as I have never won that way. I'm starting an India one now.

To me it feels like whether you win in Deity or not depends on whether you have a favourable starting location. Even a decent one can mean much for the path that the game takes compared to a outright weak or terrible start.

It doesn't eliminate the a.i. advantage it just makes it enjoyable to me. It's less entertaining and more tedious to put up with perpetual city spam of 3 pop cities that can churn out any unit in 1 turn forever.

Making it more enjoyable is all that matters really and I have no intention to spoil the fun for you. But what I said is true. By limiting AI's ability to expand you limit their scientific progress, their production, wealth, culture and yes, unit spam. Well... these are the things that make the difference.

To me it feels like whether you win in Deity or not depends on whether you have a favourable starting location. Even a decent one can mean much for the path that the game takes compared to a outright weak or terrible start.

It does make a difference but doesn't guarantee a win :) I had a diety Ethiopia game going a few days ago with a great start but limited to 3 cities with fast expanding Portugal. Things were proceeding very well despite the land grabs. Got to modern era before anyone else and decided to go Freedom instead of normally Order for a SV. Guess what? All the other civs go Order except for Arabia who went Freedom and for some reason all the other civs hated them even though he wasn't warmongering. My happiness was up and down and the denunciations came soon after. I had to pump out a bunch of military units and managed to defend myself from one wave after another with the Ethiopian UA + religious defense bonus. But unfortunately Babylon turned into a runaway and while I was busy defending myself Neb sneaked in a turn 265 SV on standard. Ouch! Can't win them all but my god it was a fun game.

Top Bottom