Killing own soldiers in the battle

REDY

Duty Caller
For example in Lionheart English king instructed use longbowmen even when casualties would be on both sides.

I have heard that during WWII as well in Finland Soviets were shooting own soldiers when they were not couraged to run againist enemy machine guns.

So if it was true(?), how it was common? What are other examples?

Note: I dont know much about military history

At Crecy in 1346, the French ran over their mercenary Genoese allies.

In 1302, the french noble knights got hindered by their own infantry in a rush to smite the flemish infantry, and they got caught in the mud.

40% of French nobility was slaughtered on that day.

the thing about the russians was probably true-executing those who retreated was one of the less glamorous strategies of russia in WW2

During the Greek-Turkish war killing your own scared soldier was common.Every army officer has killed some afraid soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Karánsebes

Of course, it had to happen around here. Where else can things go so wrong and so many people be so confused and lost? :p

Oh I love it. Especially the following parts I can imagine the hilarity that ensued when the Turks found out what happend. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot. (This is clearly why alcohol is banned by Islam)

The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".

The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek. (He must have been pissed)

Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered over 9,000 killed and wounded soldiers. (That would certainly be a WTF!! moment)

I once read that in the brazilian WW2 campaing in Italy almost as many soldiers were killed by friendly fire as were killed by the enemy. It was not intentional, so not exactly like the rest of this thread, but still intriguing.

I think Stalin's quote pretty much sums up the Red Army in WW2

"In the Red Army, it takes more courage to retreat than advance"

There's a good reason that NKVD troops were referred to as the 'State' line of defense at Kursk. Plus, the entire concept of penal battalions.

Summary field executions for cowardice were quite common in WW1, on all sides.

Cowardice was such a big deal that in WWI airmen weren't allowed the use of parachutes for fear they would simply abandon their planes at the first hint of danger.

Is Crecy not also where the French withheld cannon barrage for fear of hitting their own men?
That doesn't sound familiar but I suppose it might have happened. The incident of the crossbowmen is famous, though; since they weren't able to take cover behind their pavises (which were, IIRC, abandoned because King Philippe said 'forget that stuff, go in all by your lonesomes'), their effect on the English troops was negligible, so the French knights rode them down in a fit of pique. :crazyeye:

A quick wiki search shows that Crecy was, in fact, the first use of ribaldis in Western warfare, but that it was the English who possessed them, not the French. These were the same cannon which successfully laid siege to Calais the following year.

Now I must find the battle I'm thinking of. Perhaps it's Poitiers.

Top Bottom