King of the World #17: Peter the Great

ConsoleCowboy

Chieftain
Settling SA would be my way to go as a european power. It gives you access to oil and many other precious things. Since I play europe on earth18 quite a lot, the access to military resources must always be considered long term. North Africa, East-Europe and the Arabian Peninsula (where your nearest (on-land) oil resources are hidden are tough to conquer without europe as the middle piece. And even so, culture push from all sides will sour your efforts quickly.
Without the european continent conquered, SA is the way to go.

Go, go, go astronomy!

Kid R

Emperor
Barbs in SA shouldn't be too much of a problem as their units will be obsolete and virtually every attack is across a river and/or into jungle. Woody 3 macemen running around clearing them up before you can say "conquistadovski".

JammerUno

King
Nav 1 opens up Nav two with only 2xp, that means +3 movement for your ships under theo/vassalage after you prove the world is round. That is huge. Strategy wise, I would consider a war on Huanya; his lands lack production and the hindu shrine must be making tons of money.

But considering the quest you got, and the option to get to Astro early, settling SA would be more fun. Keep in mind what the number of courthouses needed for the FP is so you can whip/chop it as early as you can over there, otherwise the upkeep will sitfle you. With the FP there, I foresee little trouble claiming the amazon.

capnvonbaron

Democratia gladii
Imagine... a fleet of nav2 Ruskglish privateers :mischief: Use them until the AI start figuring out frigates and the likes, then sail them all to the west and set up shop in the Caribbean. You could probably blockade almost the entire eastern seaboard and loot / GG-farm 'til the cowzski's come home :D

Neal

King of the World
Not to rain on the parade... But (as has been pointed out) the Great Wall only affects its home continent, and I think I remember that, from messing around with the Vikings' Trading Posts, Navigation II requires Flanking I in addition to Navigation I. Still, that would put +3 moves (with circumnavigation) at 5 XP, rather than 10, which is still a significant discount.

Coffee Mug

Chieftain
I join the general consensus for an early-astronomy colonization of South America. (How many beakers away from liberalism are you? Is it worth it to go that path and get astronomy as the free tech instead of researching it directly?)

In any event, I love the Prime Directive-ish way you've let the new nations play themselves out. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Brian Shanahan

Permanoob
Yes a bit of colonisation would be good, something both the English and Russians liked to do in real life, England overseas and Russia on the Eurasian steppe.

Neal

King of the World
Yeah, sorry. I just played the round today, but the creative juices just aren't flowing, so I'm going to try to get the writeup done tomorrow. Meanwhile, for those of you who are here for game more than story, here's the save:

Neal

King of the World
Neal-called-Peter lounged on his throne. Life was good. He held a near-monopoly on Optics, and, with the help of Scientists working around the clock in Yorkutsk and Londongrad, he was sure that he could expand that edge into the full-scale advantage of early Astronomy. In anticipation of the birth of a second Great Scientist, a few turns were invested into the study of the stars before switching over to the more prosaic concern of setting up Guilds. After all, Workshops were beginning to sprout up across the empire, and the advent of the mounted Knight would revolutionize warfare.

As Russia focused on science and the future of battle, the rest of Europe was engaged in bloody campaigns of their own:

Peter took a calculated risk, staying on the sidelines in the conflict, preferring to cultivate a friendship with the surly Tokugawa. Of course, a few decades later, someone asked us to sever trade ties with the Japanese, and I absent-mindedly agreed, and now the Japanese, while Friendly, refuse to talk to us. Even the King of the World isn't perfect.

In 445, the Apostolic Palace was built in the territory of the Inca, promising new productivity for the followers of the one true Buddhist faith. Interestingly, it was the charismatic Alexander who ascended to its throne:

More importantly, though, Peter finally had his convocation of Scientists ready to crack the secrets of the constellations. Russia's creaky old Galleys were upgraded to Galleons. Settlers, Workers, and soldiers were loaded on board and sent southwest, hoping to find new virgin lands (at this, Neal winked at his advisors, telling them that he "had a hunch"). Within a few short years, Maracaibovosk and Paramarislavl were founded on the northern shores of what we would call the South American continent.

Though Peter was unwilling to commit to real land wars in Europe, he was more than willing to show solidarity with his friends by agreeing to phony wars in far-off Asia:

Of course, feeling the heat from nearly all of the Buddhist west, Hatshepsut quickly folded, throwing herself on the tender mercies of her Jewish brother, Roosevelt. This escalation still didn't result in any real danger for the Russian people, though it did cancel a few lucrative resource trades.

After sneaking through Aztec India and American Indochina, our intrepid Spy found himself at the edge of Elizabeth's east Asian empire. He was shocked at what he saw:

Well, I guess Japan's pathetic state in most Earth18 games isn't entirely the fault of curmudgeonly Toku. We're past 500 A.D. and she doesn't even have Iron Working yet? I thought she was supposed to be a power civ!

With both Guilds and Astronomy as Russian monopoly techs, Peter made the difficult decision of using Guilds to backfill:

We also traded obsolete techs for gold and maps from the friendly Malinesian people we found on the Caribbean rim.

By 790 A.D., we also have Gunpowder weapons in our arsenal, and Galleons brimming with colonists on the way to South America. I believe we are at a crossroads. Here is our technology decision:

Along with the positions of our neighbors:

I'd like to put off the Liberalism race to maybe try for Communism or Rifling, but I think we have too many rivals that can make a serious run at it right now. As you can see, the Americas are still backward, but not by nearly as much as they usually are with Montezuma stretching slaves over altars. So should we push Education-Liberalism now and take what we can get, or do you think we can put it off for a little while?

I know you're all here to see the juicy maps of the world as it presently stands, so, without further ado, here they are:

It's a bit interesting that Qin went for four cities there. Huayna normally makes do with three. And, from a glance, it looks like Cyrus is doing a fine job of squeezing out old Mansa Musa. In the Old World, meanwhile, the Inca are an absolute beast, though Germany seems to be doing pretty well for itself. Either way, I'll leave you all with the Diplomacy Screen and let the discussions begin:

Yeah. This is a significantly less peaceful world than the standard setup. Save is above.

St. Augustine

Chieftain
nice round so far! so where to next? a conquest of the gulf stream seems in order! I'd have no issues ensuring clear shipping lanes between the mother(is)land and new russia and that means that the mongols, incas and germans are going to have to relinquish some lands to the crown.
I'd say that ole' Qin has met his match as well.
A Russian South America - seems prudent for me and a suitable staging point for a showdown with the North Americans.

Yared

That Guy
Huayna is just :eek:

Will be interesting how powerful Africa will be, as compared to how it normally is.

Kid R

Emperor
What a fascinatingly different world order.

As for tech path if you can't try for something pricey off liberalism with the lead you have here, when can you? Steam power isn't far off and would be mighty handy with all that work to do in the colonies.

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
I vote Chemistry next for Privateers and start blasting everyone off the seas! The hit Liberalism and see if you can get steel.

I am still of a mind to keep any army off Europe, settle South America, and tech towards space while seeing what these morons continue to do!

Elizabeth is quite shocking!

Nares

Emperor
In America we have a National geography learning plan. Whenever we need to learn about a place we invade it then find out where it is.
Eh, they whitewashed any real discussions in my history classes, focusing instead on worshiping left-wing causes. I swear I had UN miniature flags coming out of my ears for two years as they inundated us with pro-UN propaganda; thankfully someone clued me in years later.

And I went to a high quality public school in one of NYC's more affluent suburbs. I can only imagine how bad it is in some of the inner city daycare facilities they call schools in the Bronx. I've heard first hand reports of teachers literally being told not to bother maintaining order in the classroom; they're expected to simply stand there and teach to themselves while kids freely wander the building. Good thing the state legislature just enacted laws to maintain more of the same (and spread it elsewhere in the name of equality).

California's legislature just moved to end science programs in some of the more successful public schools there; their reasoning is that it isn't fair to the less fortunate children attending less successful schools. So yeah, that's the American school system. It makes me wish the Alaskan babe had won; homeschooling has never been more appealing.

Sian

Emperor
the island of Japan in itself aren't that bad looking size/pure resouce wise ... problem is that its near on impossable to place some good cities on it without taking losses due to missing Resouces ... specially not if you place down your capital at the intented spot

Neal

King of the World
Would a dip back into Slavery to get some South American infrastructure up be wise? Or is growing the population over there more important at this juncture?

Phyrio

Chieftain
It depends how many workers you can get over there neal. If you can stay reasonably ahead of the growth rate then don't bother with slavery.

It looks to me we have a good handful of reasonably powerful people...Inca, Roosevelt, Greece, Isabella...

WTB World Wars

Top Bottom