Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Rhye's and Fall

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • A Divine Intervention Game

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters

Neal

King of the World
I'm back, I'm warmed up, and I'm ready for a new challenge. It's time to decide on the next game. So I'm gonna put up this poll and give it a week or two. Long enough for a clear winner to emerge, anyway. Of course, if two or more are close enough, I reserve the right to go all autocratic and choose between them :king:

So let's hear it. What do you want to see?

Some explanations...
Alexander Always Peace: Earth18, Always Peace. Tight, cramped quarters. A real challenge!
Civ V: As it says. Probably just a one-time thing. But I'd like to at least give it a try.
Modern Civs: From here.
Earth 1000 A.D.: The scenario. Maybe HRE, maybe the Byzantines.
Rhye's and Fall: I'd need more handholding than usual, but I've always been fascinated by this.
Divine Intervention: Hire up some gods to World-Builder the map between rounds. Hardly traditional, but it sounds like fun.

Never tried Rhys and fall, so I would like to see that.

Never tried Civ V, but from what I've heard that is a good thing.

My personal preference is just Alexander always-peace, but RFC can be pretty cool. You'd want to think very carefully about what civ and what difficulty you chose.

Never tried Civ V, but from what I've heard that is a good thing.

Sorry, but you've heard wrong ;) If you're loving Civ, the newest prequel will disappoint you. It's an "okay" game if you look at it as a standalone, but in the context of the series it's terrible.

On topic: Divine Intervention! Sounds like great fun!

Not Civ 5. Please! Forced to choose, I'd rather see Civ 3. At least that's a decent game.

BTW, how does Wang Kon qualify as a modern leader? :crazyeye:

Alexander Always Peace sounds like a tough challenge to me. And interesting.

There have been plenty of other Rhyes and Fall. Granted, I would have no problem with you doing it, but there are plenty of stories for that.

I think the 1000 AD map would be interesting as a lot of the civs are already set up and have some relationships.

Arabia is a fun challenge for that map.

Rhys...hands down...never seen someone do a play-thru of it, although I've played it many times myself. It will be interesting to see how you handle the UHVs and other aspects of the game

CiV is for sissies

I had another idea recently.

How about a semi-OCC challenge as a European, where you set yourself the rules of not capturing (or razing) any city in Eurasia, and instead having to trade with neighbours and settling foreign city sites? eg Iceland, South America, Australia. You could beat up neighbours abroad though if you wanted. Pesky natives!

I know you tried a OCC in this series before but lost - I thought this could be an interesting variant.

I voted Alexander, just because it seems utterly insane. :p

I'm not a fan of Rhyes or 1000AD, but I think they'd be moderately interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing a modern Civs game, if only because i've never seen one before. I am strongly against Civ5, the earth map there operates on a different premise, so It wouldn't be a KotW game in the same sense as civ4. DI would be my second choice, and I would be up for playing god again if you did that. :p

DT
Analysing :scan:

I voted RFC because it would have the feel of a KotW game but it would have the challenge that said mod has (And not the complete madness that the Greece game would be).

Wait did I just say "madness" and "Greece" in the same sentence? :mischief:

Neal, I'm guessing you would want some war with 1000AD (especially as the bizzies, possibly as the HRE), but how about 1000AD as the Inca, or Monty if Inca without terraform is a guaranteed "vs the jungle" until the 1600s. Probably less war, and similar to an "isolationist" start, but you never know with monty...." never trust an aztec with a nuke" was a saying that I think evolved from civ II....love to see something like that happen again...

always peace alexander also sounds....challenging. One trait handicap for sure post barbarians, but I can think of a worse UB to have for non-war wins....

Since he's already done Inca and Monty I would think the Byzantines would be a better choice for a 1000AD game. As I said earlier, the challenge of always peace in that situation is why I voted for it.

And I think the saying comes from civ1. ;)

DT

I gave a vote to the Always Peace game but I also feel that it might be offering the world to Qin (or possibly Hatty).

Earth 1000 AD would be my second vote. Civ 5 could be interesting, but honestly that would just be a Civ 5 play through, as the Earth maps are still randomized. And I'm sure the thread would be derailed by arguments over Civ 5's merits.

Rhye's and fall would be interesting. In my limited experience its very different to vanilla BtS.

You could do several on Rhye's really, especially considering there's RFC 3000BC and RFC 600AD(?) each with a different bunch of civilisations and their unique challenges... so I dunno, maybe Alexander always peace first? Be a tricky but interesting challenge

I think rhye's is a decent idea.
I don't like much some of the mechanics, since they seem a bit too punishing in my eyes (yeah I stare at you stability here!) and it's more arbitrary then anything (judging instability based on premade marks is a bit meh, or I didn't understand something), but could be still fun and something new for this forum.

If we wanted Civ V we would be in another part of forums and they do have some LP's on youtube and in S&T even if the game is a bit... too wargameish

i have never took a deeper interest in rhye´s due to... well the colors... how can anyone stand this blue he chose for the water. just for example of course.

but i would have to read a KOTW... so maybe this would help me to overcome my prejudices...

E1000 AD ( vanilla or BtS map ? they aren't the same ;) ) or Rhye's.

If you do E1000 BtS map, i would suggest against the Inca. I've done a SG with that and, besides the danger of a Euro/ Asian invasion ( Toku and QSH are not shy of crossing the ocean to take the Incans down ), the game is a snooze fest/ good MM school; good for learning MM or for a detailed explanation, awful for the type of show you put .

Japan is cool ( done it too on a SG ), but it becomes easy if you get the China gambit in time ( does not work always ). I'm doing Saladin now in another SG :p, but it is a nice uphill experience. The vikings are also nice japan style: if you luck out against england before you run out of your stock of UU, you have a very interesting game in hands. China ... well, China has the mongol issue and it starts with virtually no army, but it sits on top of the best land of the game ...

So, i would suggest ... India :p India starts with prime land with some jungle in top ;) also has in hands the second biggest cashcow ... err, ( double ) holy city of the game. You have a lot of oportunites to expand peacefully ... or not :p ( Khmer are weak, with some luck you can catch china with the pants down and Saladin tends to be distracted with the Euros ). It gives a lot of potential for a good story IMHO :D

Top Bottom