Lag queuing buildings/units in mid game

Cornelius luc

Chieftain
First post on these forums despite been a civ fan since 199*cough*:D
I'm playing ROM 2.81 with the latest AND mod, and I'm getting quite long waits trying to queue buildings or units, usually around 15 - 20 secs between clicking on one build and been able to click on the next. It's getting @#$@$%@%#% frustrating.:mad:
Anyone have any ideas?:confused:
PC specs are Intel pentium 2.8ghz dual core, 4bg ddr2 ram and a geforce 9800gt graphics card, oh and running xp pro.
I'm on a standard map with 8 civs and it is around 1600ad.
I've had no problems with lag between turns,(about 1 - 2 mins atm), and I've tried increasing the size of the paging file/ turning the paging file off and neither have seemed to make any difference.
Lastly many thanks to afforess for this mod, you've got my wife and I fighting over who's turn on civ it is again:lol:

I did quite a bit of investigating of this a few weeks back. The results were that the actual code that runs that part of the city screen is in the EXE, and there isn't a whole lot you can do.

The only thing that will improve the speed is enabling "Hide Unavailable Objects" in the graphical menu.

Instead of entering the city screen, just click on the city name and select from below, it has half the lag time than when in city screen ;)

Instead of entering the city screen, just click on the city name and select from below, it has half the lag time than when in city screen ;)

While this is true, even still there are 1-3 seconds of lag, depending on how far the game has progressed... :(

1 |-|473 F1|24><15, 61\/3 U5 7|-|3 D4|\/|3 3><3!!!!
(I hate Firaxis, give us the damn EXE)

thanks for the replies. Enabling hide unavailable objects does help, but not by much.
i'd forgotten about just clicking on the city build menu from the main map, that does make it a lot faster.:).
still a bit of lag but nowhere near the time it was taking before.

strangely the lag wasnt there before for me. It started in RoM 2.8, so propably some of the components adding a callback or something.

Hmm... RoM has only removed callbacks since 2.71.

I dont know if it is callbacks or what it is. I'm only confident with XML ;)
But I noticed it from 2.8 (or was it 2.7, I dont get to play so much RoM anymore)
My point was that it was a recently new thing with the huge lag (on my old computer).
Overall the GUI/Cityscreens are responding a lot faster, so maybe its an optimization with a drawback.

And the more troops there are in city the heavier is lag with buildings

And the more troops there are in city the heavier is lag with buildings

Really? I suppose this could well be true, but I haven't noticed it...
Are you doing the "quick-build-order" without going to the city screen, or are you double-clicking and going to the big screen?

On middle and reneissance eras if i have like 20+ units in city lag becomes noticeable, if this number is around 150-200, it takes 3-5 seconds for a single keystroke. As about big or small screens i almost always go to big screen for building management.

I get lag on both screens every time i click on a building when there is too many buildings in the build screen, even with the hide unavailable buildings option is on, you get the worst every time you build a new city and want to build everything up.

Top Bottom