Language translations for leader sayings

It's going to be hard to find a native speaker.

Someone's bound to turn up eventually. To be fair, someone already did, they just never got back to us ;)

Two more in the meantime:

Hate Hello: What are you doing here? / أشنو كدير هنا؟ (ashnu kadir hna?)

Hate No 01: This is unreasonable! / هدشي ماشي معقول (hadshee mashee m’aqul!)

I wish I had more but it's becoming difficult to translate some of the darija vocab as I can't find the words anywhere on the web. I'll see if I can get my hands on a proper dictionary...

While I'm waiting on that dictionary I went back and filled in the gaps I couldn't work out in Ramesses II's speech. Turns out that after a week or two of listening to a particularly difficult spoken dialect, Standard Arabic is a heck of a lot easier to make sense of...

I've updated these in my original post as well. Underlined sections once again mean changes to the original translation, while any brackets I've added show things that aren't actually present in the Arabic/are implied in English.

Attacked: (You are) a fool who evokes pity. You have brought my hostility upon yourself and your repulsive civilization!
أحمق يثير شفقة. لقد عاديت بنفسك وبحضارتك القبيحة
(‘ahmaq yuthiru shafaqa. laqad audaytu binafsak wa bihadaaratuk al-qabeeha!)

Hate Yes 02: I think I should (agree). أعتقد أن وجب عليه (a’ataqid anna wagib alayah.)

Peaceful: You know I could have destroyed you, but I am feeling generous today. (lit. ...the feeling of generosity perfumes me today.)
تعرف أنه كان بإمكاني أن أدمرك, لكن يعطرني الشعور بالكرم اليوم
(t’arif anahu kana b’imkani an udamirak, lakin ya’atarini as-sha’aur bilkaram alyawm.)

There may still be mistakes of course, but I hope I've got them pretty much on the mark. (EDIT: 07/09/13 - There were mistakes, see my post below. =P) Otherwise, Ramesses II is complete! :goodjob:

Hey, Siriuskar

I would like you to transliterate Harun's lines as well.:) Ahmad's ones must have a lot of Berber influence in them. I guess if Ramesses actually spoke colloquial Egyptian Arabic, it would be a lot tougher to translate. (due to Coptic influence)

Intro: beginning obviously starts with Assuraya (Assyria), so far I'm able to pick out gerkinakku "library" and amāru "to see". The xml line "I welcome you to the great kingdom of Assyria...have you come to view my library" is likely the correct translation

Attacked-beginning sounds like "šappulu" which means humiliated or humble, not sure how much help that is

DeclaresWar-begins with Atta "you", rest I couldn't translate

Defeated-no luck with this one

Request-Mahīru means "trade", rest couldn't translate

Peaceful-Kīam "so, thus"....umā "today" ...nuku "we"...lītu "victory", I guess that the xml line "So shall it be written, today we are the victors!" is the meaning of this line

Hateletshearit02- Mīnu anīna!? (what now?)

Hateletshearit03-What do you want? (Mīnu tereš?)

Neutraletshearit02-ešem’e I will hear/listen (to you)

Neutraletshearit03- Anna? (yes?)

Neutralyes03- Imagal "Agreed"

Neutralno02-starts off with lā "no"

Neutralno03- lā ! laššu! (no! certainly not!)

Hateyes01- likely Abaraša "certainly"

Hateyes02-Kīam... (So, thus) and "tereš" (not sure what it means)

Hateno01- has lā (no)

Hateno2-has Kīam (so, thus)

Hateno03-not sure, but sakātu means "to be silent, keep quiet" it'll be funny if he's telling you to "shut up"

I hope this helps. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of Akkadian (particularly the Assyrian dialect) can provide better translations.

Maria Theresa's peaceful is still not corrected yet

it's 'Ich hoffe, ihr seid nun zufrieden. All das Getue, und nichts dahinter wie es scheint.' (I hope you are now content. All that fuss, and it seems nothing (came of it).

And the last part of Napoleon defeated02 is "Fais de moi ce que tu veux"

Some translations for Haile Selassie were done in this reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Ethiopia/comments/1lc17q/can_anybody_translate_this/

They're based off YouTube vids rather than files unfortunately.

good find:goodjob:
I wonder if there is any for Zulu, Songhai, Mohawk, Yucatec, Nahuatl, Shoshone...

Attacked:
Version 1: It's better to be silent and let big people (people of high profile) fall on their own. We are not going to simply allow you to get whatever you want without doing any work for it.
Or
Version 2: Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph. And we shall not allow it! (found this in youtube)
or
Version 3: silence helps those bad guys to win, and you! we can't let you see in silence while you do everything you wish

All three are very similar to a xml line "It is silence that allows evil to triumph. We will not stand mute and allow you to continue on this mad quest unchecked"

Declarewar: "You have tried many ways and many times. Do not be mad when you fail, keep trying. At the end, you'll get what you want."....

xml line "I have tried all other avenues, but yet you persist in this madness. I hope, for your sake, your end is swift. " is similar

Defeated: "We will remember the history of the Lord!"..."To correct or to be the judge of someone else's and their wrongdoings?? correct yourself first!"

compare with xml lines "God and history will remember your actions this day. I hope you are ready for your impending judgment." and
"In general, a man who is governed by his conscience will co-operate with his fellow human beings. He knows from whence he comes and where he goes. Do you?"

Hateno02: "Not sure" or "you may not be sure"

Intro: "Welcome, I am Haile Selassie, rastafari grandfather:lol:. I'll be your (good) servant today....or "our dear just people, welcome, I, Hailesilassie, ras teferi mekonnen the king of ethiopia, I AM your devoted servant."

compare with xml line "A thousand welcomes to our fair nation. I am Haile Selassie, the Ras Tafari Makonnen and Emperor of Ethiopia, your humble servant. "

NeutralLet'shearit01: "continue" or "go on"

NeutralLet'shearit02: "I'm listening"

NeutralNo02: "I disagree" or "We have opposed"

NeutralYes01: "Without suspicion" or "without a doubt"

I wished they translated the request or peaceful line.:(

The combined effort put into this thread is very impressive. I think many of us wonder why Firaxis didn't just include accurate translations of leader sayings instead of the generic diplomacy.

I have found several translations of Harun al-Rashid's speech, here's my version complete with Arabic script, Arabic pronunciation, and the corresponding English translation to the best of my ability.
Spoiler :

And here are Rameses'
Spoiler :

Hateyes02-Kīam... (So, thus) and "tereš" (not sure what it means)
My guess here is that "Kīam tereš" is [thus you want], as in [as you wish].

Hi,

This line in French translations (2nd post) is very wrong :

Defeated2: I'm beaten.. Do what you will with me. (Je me suis battu... Fais ce que tu veux de moi.) "J'ai battu" also translates into "I've fought".

"Je me suis battu" means "I've fought"
"Je suis battu" means "I'm beaten"
"J'ai battu (quelqu'un)" means "I beat (someone)" - past simple : for present it is "Je bats" - and yes, our conjugation is a pain.

So here is how I would translate it : "I've fought... Do what you will with me.". It feels strange, like something is missing.

By the way, when I hear Napoleon speaking in French in the game, it always feels very strange... and not French at all ! Do not take it as examples, it's poorly designed.

Hi,

Defeated2: I'm beaten.. Do what you will with me. (Je me suis battu... Fais ce que tu veux de moi.) "J'ai battu" also translates into "I've fought".

"J'ai battu (quelqu'un)" means "I beat (someone)" - past simple : for present it is "Je bats" - and yes, our conjugation is a pain.

So here is how I would translate it : "I've fought... Do what you will with me.". It feels strange, like something is missing.

By the way, when I hear Napoleon speaking in French in the game, it always feels very strange... and not French at all ! Do not take it as examples, it's poorly designed.

Just out of interest, how does most of this work? I would think that "J'ai battu" would mean "I have beat", but I'd guess that it may be somewhat different with the tense systems. I'd go with your translations anyway, as je ne parle pas français. :goodjob:

Hey, Siriuskar

I would like you to transliterate Harun's lines as well.:)

I have found several translations of Harun al-Rashid's speech, here's my version complete with Arabic script, Arabic pronunciation, and the corresponding English translation to the best of my ability.

Looks like this fantastic person's already beaten me to it. :goodjob:

Besides, I thought there were already transliterations for Harun Al-Rashid on the parent post last I looked. I couldn't see any for Ramesses II so I just did him instead. ;)

Ahmad's ones must have a lot of Berber influence in them. I guess if Ramesses actually spoke colloquial Egyptian Arabic, it would be a lot tougher to translate. (due to Coptic influence)

True, though I don't believe the Egyptian dialect of Arabic differs as much from Modern Standard as much as the Moroccan/Darija dialect, so hopefully it wouldn't be that tough. ;)

It is interesting how Ramesses doesn't speak Arabic with a regional dialect though (or at least none that I can notice), whereas Ahmad very much does. Maybe it's down to the fact that Ramesses wouldn't have spoken Arabic at all? Or possibly because there's a fair bit of French/Ottoman Turkish influence in the modern Egyptian dialect that they wanted to avoid. (Though then again, I can't hear any French/Spanish influence in the Moroccan dialect that Ahmad's speaking...)

And here are Rameses'
Spoiler :

It's really interesting to compare translations. :D (And get a second opinion...)
Looks like I had a few mishearings so I'll put down the bits I got wrong here, for the sake of easier correction on the parent post (corrections in red). There are some bits I disagree with though, and others I'm not sure about...

Declares War: You are nothing but a pest on the face of this Earth, prepare for your death!
ما أنت إلا آفة على ظهر هذه الأرض, إستعد لحتفك
(ma anta ila aafa alla dahr hadhihil-ard, ista’id ilhatfik!)

- CORRECTED: First part, couldn't make it out properly last time. Also corrected spelling error leading to mistranslation in last word, which could also be 'Prepare for your doom!' ('death' is more literal, I believe).

Peaceful: You know I could have destroyed you, but I'm overcome by a feeling of generosity today.
تعرف أنه كان بإمكاني أن أدمرك, لكن يعتريني شعور بالكرم اليوم
(t’arif anahu kana b’imkani an udamirak, lakin ya’atarini sha’aur bilkaram alyawm.)

- CORRECTED: 'ya'atarini' ( يعتريني ) , not the word I thought it was. I can't find a proper translation for it ( يعتري )? myself anywhere though...Nahraini's put 'overcome' so I'm going with that for now. Also got rid of definite article on 'sha'aur'.

Attacked: (You are) a fool who evokes pity. You have brought my hostility(?) upon yourself and your depressing civilization!
أحمق يثير الشفقة. لقد عاديت بنفسك وبحضارتك الكئيبة
(‘ahmaq yuthiru sh-shafaqa. laqad audaytu binafsak wa bihadaaratuk al-ka’eeba!)

- CORRECTED: 'Al-ka'eeba' is definitely correct, I misheard and mistranslated. Also put a definite article on 'ash-shafaqa'.
- DISAGREE: I'm hearing 'yuthiru' rather than 'tuthiru' for the verb? I thought 'yuthiru' agreed with 'ahmaq' anyway...
- UNSURE: I can't find a translation for 'aw daytu' (أوديت) in any form...is it some kind of expression?

HateYes01
- DISAGREE: I'm hearing 'aawwh' (أوه) rather than 'hhuuaaw' (هو) at the start? The original translation by GenericPlayer seems to agree it's a kind of exasperated 'Oh,' anyway.

HateYes02
- DISAGREE/UNSURE: I hear 'wagib' (وجب) rather than 'yagib' (يجب)? Not too sure though, I wasn't sure about 'wagib' from the start...

(Updated the corrections I'm sure about in my original complete post for Ramesses as well.)

Great job, thanks! But it will be better if you post it as text, not as picture.

P.S. Siriuskar was faster. :)

P.S. Siriuskar was faster. :)

Heh, probably took me longer to do the actual transcriptions and translations though. ;) Like I said I've only been studying Arabic for a year...so Nahraini, if you know more than me/are a native speaker, please comment and let me know where I'm going wrong! :help:

Declares War: You are nothing but a pest on the face of this Earth, prepare for your death!
ما أنت إلا آفة على ظهر هذه الأرض, إستعد لحتفك
(ma anta ila aafa alla dahr hadhihil-ard, ista’id ilhatfik!)

- CORRECTED: First part, couldn't make it out properly last time. Also corrected spelling error leading to mistranslation in last word, which could also be 'Prepare for your doom!' ('death' is more literal, I believe).
'Hatf' literally means doom, you're very correct.

Peaceful: You know I could have destroyed you, but I'm overcome by a feeling of generosity today.
تعرف أنه كان بإمكاني أن أدمرك, لكن يعتريني شعور بالكرم اليوم
(t’arif anahu kana b’imkani an udamirak, lakin ya’atarini sha’aur bilkaram alyawm.)

- CORRECTED: 'ya'atarini' ( يعتريني ) , not the word I thought it was. I can't find a proper translation for it ( يعتري )? myself anywhere though...Nahraini's put 'overcome' so I'm going with that for now. Also got rid of definite article on 'sha'aur'.
"Ya'tari" is not commonly used in everyday speech. It's used to describe being affected by a feeling:
Ya'tarini al-khajal [I'm feeling embarassed]
Ya'tarini al-maradh [I'm overcome by sickness]
Ya'tarini al-karam [I'm feeling generous]/[I'm overcome by a feeling of generosity]

Of course as with any translation, it's open to flavouring by the translator, so it's very much open to interpretation :)

Attacked: (You are) a fool who evokes pity. You have brought my hostility(?) upon yourself and your depressing civilization!
أحمق يثير الشفقة. لقد عاديت بنفسك وبحضارتك الكئيبة
(‘ahmaq yuthiru sh-shafaqa. laqad audaytu binafsak wa bihadaaratuk al-ka’eeba!)

- CORRECTED: 'Al-ka'eeba' is definitely correct, I misheard and mistranslated. Also put a definite article on 'ash-shafaqa'.
- DISAGREE: I'm hearing 'yuthiru' rather than 'tuthiru' for the verb? I thought 'yuthiru' agreed with 'ahmaq' anyway...
- UNSURE: I can't find a translation for 'aw daytu' (أوديت) in any form...is it some kind of expression?
You're correct, I mistyped it. It's definitely "YUtheiru ash-shafaqa" [speaking in 3rd person about the player]. TUtheiru would be talking to the player in 1st person.
"Audaytu" is inaccurately pronounced, mostly because the endings of the words aren't articulated with the exact grammatical diacritic [as is common in the vernacular]. If we want to be technical, he should say
"laqad awdayta [2nd person] benafseka wa behatharateka al-ka'eiba"
Again, this is open to interpretation.

HateYes01
- DISAGREE: I'm hearing 'aawwh' (أوه) rather than 'hhuuaaw' (هو) at the start? The original translation by GenericPlayer seems to agree it's a kind of exasperated 'Oh,' anyway.
Agreed, I think an expression of surprise is more correct.

HateYes02
- DISAGREE/UNSURE: I hear 'wagib' (وجب) rather than 'yagib' (يجب)? Not too sure though, I wasn't sure about 'wagib' from the start...
As with "audayt" before, the word ending pronunciation isn't grammatically maintained by the speaker. Techically it should be:
"A'taqid annahu yajibu 'alayya,"
I'm very certain it's "yagib," not "wagib," mostly because it's the more common expression :)

I've had a listen of Morocco's speech, the majority of it could be made out, although a few expressions would be better ironed out by a North African native.

it will be better if you post it as text, not as picture.
I posted it as a picture because I found out that I'd lose the table format which I had used initially, I'll format it into a post soon :)

Heh, probably took me longer to do the actual transcriptions and translations though. ;) Like I said I've only been studying Arabic for a year...so Nahraini, if you know more than me/are a native speaker, please comment and let me know where I'm going wrong! :help:
As a native speaker let me tell you I'm very impressed by your language skills, way to go :D

Hi,

Well his speaker is probably French Canadian...

Top Bottom