Large Mafia Game: The Princess Bride

Zack

99% hot gas

The one voted best host of mafia in 2010 presents:

A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, and a beautiful princess. Good versus evil. Handsome young farm boy versus old bald Sicilians and wavy haired homicidal princes that aren't so charming. Jokes and lines that will be remembered by nerds and anyone with a sense of humor for ages. Crazy old people, crazy young people. Wine in front of me. Battles of wit, swordplay, and brute strength. An epic tale of true love and revenge. Bloodthirsty monsters, torture, albinos and miracle workers. And much more.

Fraternize with the rules!

Rules

Game Phases​
  • The Game is divided into alternating Day and Night Phases
  • Day is 48 hours long
  • Night is 24 hours
  • Posting is allowed during both phases
  • Phases may be extended due to either personal issues or an ability/item that extends the phase (I will let everyone know if it is the former)
Lynches​
  • Voting is mandatory
  • Votes must be in the Vote: Zack format or they will not count
  • It is optional to have vote retractions struck through or in Unvote: Zack format, but not necessary.
  • No support votes
  • You may Abstain, but it is not the same as No Lynch (Warning: You will also be subject to insults such as "chicken", "rodent of usual size", "shy eel", and/or "
Victory​
  • To achieve victory, you must fulfill the victory condition described in your Role PM
Injuries​
  • Players may receive injuries, in which case they cannot use their ability or items for a full chapter (Day and Night).
Communication​
  • Private communication is not allowed unless your Role PM states otherwise or you are posting in a GM-made QuickTopic
  • You may not post/quote any PMs you receive, including Role PMs
  • No roleclaims! You can say "I scanned so and so as such and such" or something like that, but not "I am this role"
  • You are not allowed to edit your posts, save for grammar mistakes (as long as they are edited within 2 minutes of first posting)
Dead Players​
  • Upon death, you have the right to remain silent.
Items and Abilities​
  • Players have items, abilities, and other effects usable to influence the game
  • For anything which is not passive, I must receive a PM at the appropriate time detailing your action
  • Item transfers will require consent of both players
Miscellaneous​
  • There will be one mafia faction
  • There will be one innocent faction
  • There may or may not be other factions or players belonging to no faction
  • There will be a few vanilla roles (as in a generic "Florin Peasant")
  • You will be replaced/WOGed if you don't post or vote for a lynch for an extended period of time without first warning me
  • You will be replaced/WOGed if I have to constantly remind you to show up, participate, and play the game
  • The updates will be set up as if they are from a book [sort of]
  • The host is not a player
  • Due to the nature of the game, roleplaying is an important aspect! It will make the game much more enjoyable, as much fun as you wish it to be!
  • Be active!

Sample Innocent Role PM:

Spoiler :
Player: John Doe
Name: Tim
Title: Florin Peasant
Quote: "The rent is too damn high!" - Yourself
Victory Condition: Innocent. You achieve victory when all opposing forces are eliminated.
Alignment: Good

[Picture]

[Witty background information]

Item:

Ability:

Updates

Prologue -- The game begins!

Chapter 1
Midday -- The group must split into two to travel across the lake!
End of Day -- No one is lynched!
End of Night -- DaveShack is killed, Jarrema and Nictel survive attacks, and The Ancient Booer is injured!

Chapter 2
End of Day -- remake20 and TheLastOne36 are lynched!
End of Night -- Too lazy to do these anymore!

Chapter 3
End of Day
End of Night

Chapter 4
End of Day
End of Night

Chapter 5
End of Day
End of Night

Chapter 6
End of Day
End of Night

Prologue

Link to video.

Our adventurous adventure begins with an adventurous fake cough, signifying that the kid lying lazily in bed playing a pixelated baseball game on a not-quite-high-definition television is indeed, sick (more likely faking it, suddenly making our story seem much less adventurous). Apparently this unadventurous fellow has a remarkably efficient immune system or gullible relatives, since he shows absolutely no signs of sickness whatsoever the rest of the movie, yet at the end asks his grandfather to come read him a story again (clearly showing that the kid is a lazy bum who fakes sick everyday so he doesn't have to go to school; instead he just gets to lie in bed, play crappy video games, and have story time with grandpa every day while is peers are going to school and becoming adventurous contributors to society) - and his grandfather agrees! Don't even get me started on how the idiot pitcher in his game ignores the fact that the hit was obviously a foul ball....

Anyway, after a few seconds of watching this hindrance to society, a middle-aged woman sporting a quasi-mullet, presumably the boys mother, enters the scene. "Hi honey!" she greets her slothful child.

Her son barely glances at her. "Hi mom."

His mother kisses the boy's forehead and immediately puts her ear to his forehead, most likely checking to make sure his sickness wasn't being caused by rambunctious evil spirits. "You feeling any better?"

"A little bit."

His mom pats him on the back. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"Grandfather's here." For whatever reason, at this point she opens the curtains. After all, who doesn't like a nice glare on their TV when they're playing video games? When I was a lad, there were two rules in the Zack house - 1) don't play video games unless there's a glare and 2) eat as much yellow snow as possible.

"Mom, can't you tell him I'm [pretending to be] sick?"

Mom walks over, her deceptive obesity causing the floorboards to creek, sits down on the bed next to her son in what she assumes must be a reassuring position to her son. "You're sick? That's why he's here."

"He'll pinch my cheek. I hate that." Oh, so now he's a whiner too! He's evolving into the Scrappy!

The mom, using her dumb voice in an attempt to convince her lazy kid that grandpa won't pinch his cheek, tells him "Maybe he won't."

At this moment, grandpa bursts into the scene, moving at the speed of plot. The audience is forced to assume that he is a creepy old recluse either living next door or in the basement, due to the sheer speed of his arrival. He spreads his arms wide, a gold box in his right hand and a coat draped over his left arm (the basement gets cold in the winter). "Hey! How's the sick kid?" Sure enough, grandpa goes to pinch the kid's cheek. The kid gives his mom an I told you so look, and she just sighs.

In a strangely suggestive tone, the boy's mother gets up from the bed. "I think I'll leave you two pals alone."

Grandpa picks this time to announce the arrival of the gold box. "I brought you a special present."

The kid's eyes go wide, although we can't see them. "What is it? [An oversized cassette tape?]"

Ever suspenseful, Grandpa tosses the kid the present. "Open it up."

The kid tears at the gold paper, revealing the wonderful gift contained in it. "A book?" His disappointment is obvious.

Suddenly on the defense for not giving his grandson an oversized cassette tape (which everyone knows were used extensively and desired by every kid in the 80s), Grandpa explains himself. "That's right. When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm gonna read it to you." Whatever happened to the boy's father, is he a workaholic, an alcoholic, or just dead?

Ungrateful to the last, the Grandson looks down at the bed covers, then back to Grandpa. "Has it got any sports in it?"

Cleverly responding with a list of 'sports' that aren't actually sports, Grandpa retorts "Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."

The kid shrugs and finally turns off the TV, but without bothering to turn the video game console off (what a waste of power! How long is this kid going to mooch of his family like this! Inconceivable!!!), decides to give his grandfather a chance. "Doesn't sound too bad. [Note: video cuts off here, but you can find it somewhere else on the internet or watch the DVD or something] I'll try to stay awake."

Grandpa isn't amused. "Oh, well, thank you very much, very nice of you. Your vote of confidence is overwhelming." Grandpa proceeds to set his hat down on the nightstand and put on his glasses. "Oh, all right.

"The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern.

"Chapter 1...."

Purple is my color - don't use it.

Roleplay! Have fun!
Read the rules? Fantastic! Read them again.
No private communication of any kind! No editing posts save for grammar ninja edits! No posting or sending any PMs!

It is now Chapter 1 - Day! The deadline for voting is in roughly 55.5 hours (5 PM CST 1/20/11)!

Alive [29/29]

Darth Caesar
Takhisis
CivGeneral
SS-18 ICBM
choxorn
civplayah
Skooma Addict
Nightbringer.
dcmort93
Double A
link16
landlubber
Autolycus
robbiecon
Winston Hughes
Love
JR48fan
cpdwane
Jarrema
Kennigit
Nictel
Duke Blackstone
tycoonist
wideyedwanderer
remake20
Verarde
TheLastOne36
DaveShack
BSmith1068

Oh really? The gods of RNG decree that I must vote:Love then.

Srsly, Winston, not having johnhughthom to vote you in the first round is a terrible, terrible disgrace.

My old friend,

Vote: JR48fan

Ooh, thread's up. Despite the links from the signup thread, still almost clueless on how to RP this. Now to do something I've never done before and Vote: SS-18 ICBM. Nothing personal, it's just time to die because <the missile industry> killed my father <indirectly>.

Whaddaya know, maybe I can sorta RP this. ;) Wait, perhaps I'd better go find out whose line that was similar to...

Well, say the random number god made me do it.

Spoiler :
bastardized quote prompted by RL events
Spoiler :
The missile industry was partially indirectly responsible for his death by the way, exposure to toxic chemicals.

VOTE: dcmort

Sounds too much like morgue, which is where you will be going.

the RNG is merciless... I will vote: Jarema

Vote cpdwane I will sink your boat! You copycat!

Top Bottom