latin american civilization

AriochIV said:
Aztecs? Incas?

I know you're asking for post-Spanish conquest Latin countries, but historically, there's not much in the way of a great Latin empire to base one on. Can't imagine what "advantages" a Castro leader would have. Special ability: cities lose population every turn, that swamp nearby civs with refugee camps. New luxury resource: Cuban cigars... which don't do you any good, because your civ is always under trade embargo with all neighboring civs.

Heheh.

No offence but surely they only have one serious embargo (pretty important I would agree) and its this blocked trade that has a lot to do with the emigration.

back to the OP Argentina/Brazil have potential but they don't have Boliviar as a leader so back to the original problem.

aelf said:
Tell that to the guy who said Spain is Latin American
Spain is not Latin American. Latin American is Spain. ( and other countries. )

anyway this doesnt matter at all, since the included civs appear not to be picked by their importance today, but based on their impact on history. If you look closely youll notice that many other current countries are not included too, for example Italy.

Although maybe it just became that way.

a4phantom said:
En verdad, he intendado preguntarte "que significa 'desmadre'", pero no sabia si la palabra fuera espanol o portugese, porque me paraciste brasilana. Lo siento, he olvidado mucho de mi espanol, no he hablado hace much casi ano.
Desmadre es como Disaster,catastrophe or mess ....if your room is really dirty your mom might say es una desmadre - literally means no mother. One *NoMother to all Mother - Disaster, loses something in tranlation :p It may be a word in portuguse to thou since they share 90% of the same words, not sure about it thou.

Quagga said:
Ragnar... hottie?

The week I spent in Iceland I saw a lot to *ahem* admire ;) but they were as cold as their country when it came to approachability.:cry:

On the other hand, at the last scientific convention I had to attend, Finland sent a large contingent of *very* impressive (and scary smart) lovely ladies. I'd say try Finland or Norway (the Norwegians are supposedly the friendliest and most outgoing of the Scandy nations, according to my Deutsche friends).

Oh, and since this was a Civ thread at some point....I could see a LA-exclusive mod, but I agree with the previous poster who made an argument that only Brazil could really be considered for Civ status. And the Mayans should be included, but there needs to be some kind of way to work human sacrifice into the picture for them. :whipped: Maybe have sacrificial altar as their UB and "military priest" unit as their UU.

aelf said:
Then England is North American :D

Well, they're always debating about whether they should "join" or "leave" Europe. Gotta go somewhere.

JimT said:
No offence but surely they only have one serious embargo (pretty important I would agree) and its this blocked trade that has a lot to do with the emigration.

Or the Cuban resource could be medical care, exported to much of the Third World.

Robo Kai said:
Italy is not included because Italy is essentially Rome, I think.

Italy is only a very young unified country, and while I had a blast there modern Italy's political/military achievements are limited.

Syndrome Zed said:
On the other hand, at the last scientific convention I had to attend, Finland sent a large contingent of *very* impressive (and scary smart) lovely ladies. I'd say try Finland or Norway (the Norwegians are supposedly the friendliest and most outgoing of the Scandy nations, according to my Deutsche friends).

I knew I should have paid more attention in science class.

Elta said:
Desmadre es como Disaster,catastrophe or mess ....if your room is really dirty your mom might say es una desmadre - literally means no mother. One *NoMother to all Mother - Disaster, loses something in tranlation :p It may be a word in portuguse to thou since they share 90% of the same words, not sure about it thou.

Gracias amigo o amiga. Como dije, he olvidado mucho.

asabahi said:
I do not know if people from different latin countries would agree with your assesment that they are all the same or that they are a continuation of spanish and/or portuguese people.

Another example of this kind of thinking as displayed in this forum.

I know that I personally get offended when people in this forum suggest that Australia, my home country, is no more than a far away part of Great Britain. It is a part of a group of nations called the Commonwealth that all have ties, some direct and some indirect, to Great Britain and anyone can see that referred to in the Australian flag.
However, Australia is an independent country.

mintyfreshdeath said:
Another example of this kind of thinking as displayed in this forum.

I know that I personally get offended when people in this forum suggest that Australia, my home country, is no more than a far away part of Great Britain. It is a part of a group of nations called the Commonwealth that all have ties, some direct and some indirect, to Great Britain and anyone can see that referred to in the Australian flag.
However, Australia is an independent country.

Do Australians consider yourselves 'British'? I had some stupid argument with someone about whether they guy who plays Wolverine was British and therefore could legitimately be James Bond. She said Aussies weren't British because you're not in Britain, and I thought you were because of Queen and Commonwealth.

a4phantom said:
Do Australians consider yourselves 'British'? I had some stupid argument with someone about whether they guy who plays Wolverine was British and therefore could legitimately be James Bond. She said Aussies weren't British because you're not in Britain, and I thought you were because of Queen and Commonwealth.

That's a good question! Our official head of state is the Queen of England and, in fact, we had a referendum years back to decide whether we wanted to keep her as our head of state or become a republic with an Australia elected head of state (a president, much like the USA). We voted to keep her.. although alot of Australians want a fully fledged republic an equal amount wish to keep the status quo.
But no, Australians do not consider themselves to be British. Britons do not consider Australians to be British.

Hmmm. Well, if I never see her again I'll never have to tell her she was right.

a4phantom said:

Only if it gets them a role in the latest hollywood blockbuster. Generally it is only citizens of the US who can't tell the difference.

Britain is the modern day equivalent of Brittania i.e. the British Isles. Australia was once part of the British Isles and now part of the Commonwealth (I don't even think its called the British Commonwealth now).

Its all in a name of course as most people in Gibraltar class themselves as British and it borders Spain (it is part of the United Kingdom though).

Your normally fine to stick to calling people by their nationality. Just don't call a Scottish person English, unless you are very fast.

Edit: Also the only reason the Australians still have the Queen is because they didn't want the alternative and who can blame them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush).
Edit 2: Darn I was beaten to it, will have to type faster.

JimT said:
Only if it gets them a role in the latest hollywood blockbuster. Generally it is only citizens of the US who can't tell the difference.

Britain is the modern day equivalent of Brittania i.e. the British Isles. Australia was once part of the British Isles and now part of the Commonwealth (I don't even think its called the British Commonwealth now).

Its all in a name of course as most people in Gibraltar class themselves as British and it borders Spain (it is part of the United Kingdom though).

Your normally fine to stick to calling people by their nationality. Just don't call a Scottish person English, unless you are very fast.

Edit: Also the only reason the Australians still have the Queen is because they didn't want the alternative and who can blame them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush).
Edit 2: Darn I was beaten to it, will have to type faster.

Despite my ignorance and nationality I did know those things. What I didn't know is if the term "British" applied to citizens of independent countries that remained Commonwealths, specifically Australia and I believe also Canada. As for US citizens, we're a more diverse crowd than many Europeans believe, especially if they don't acknowledge a difference between Texas and Minnesota. Most Americans either were against Bush from the beginning or have come around to our point of view, and although we cannot be rid of him for 2 years at least with Howard and Blair in charge of Australia and England we have company in our shame.

How does a thread on Latin America turn into one in which Americans are put on the defensive? This gets rather annoying after the 873,329,356,235 time (or should I say 873.329.356.235?). At the very least, please keep these sorts of comments to Off Topic where there are more people willing to get in on the flaming.

As for the actual topic, I'd vote for Brasil before any other modern Latin American civilization.

Yaype said:
As for the actual topic, I'd vote for Brasil before any other modern Latin American civilization.

It's Latin America's potential superpower, and under the military regime they had a pretty active nuclear weapons program. If those sorts of things make one a civilization. Heck, the Brazilian military regime was also less enthusiastically brutal and more economically competent than most of the others.

Latin America is such a diverse region (Several countries, cultures,etc) than having only one civ is not such a good idea. Probably, Brazil would be a good choice. Like others said, we already have the Aztecs and Incas.

EDIT: 500th Post!!

every1 else is better then usa. its so sad because we have a crumbling economy. a dictatorial president (GEORGE W. BUSH). a democracy that is desentigrating as we speak. poor education, few people have health care. can only get better if bush and chaeny both suddenly die and nancy pelosi becomes president
stuid to envy us

civ_king said:
every1 else is better then usa. its so sad because we have a crumbling economy. a dictatorial president (GEORGE W. BUSH). a democracy that is desentigrating as we speak. poor education, few people have health care. can only get better if bush and chaeny both suddenly die and nancy pelosi becomes president
stuid to envy us

Aww.. come on, you guys are alright :)

Top Bottom