Leaders & Legends add-on

Berenthor

King
Leaders & Legends Add-on for LoR

Leaders & Legends Version: 0.15
Compatibility: LoR 0.9.6c*
Download here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah919a1/n/L_amp_L_0_96c_rar
Mirror: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/135549/L-L-0-96c-rar.html

As discussed in one of the other traits, I am working on adding some more leaders and legends into the game. The leaders that are added are mostly focussed on making sure each civ has at least two leaders (this to look better when revolution component forces a leaderswitch, when there is 1 leader, nothing happens).

Installation:
Unzip the contents of the rar file into the Beyond the Sword\Mods directory. It will overwrite the LoR that is already installed so make a back-up first!!!

I currently have the following list for additional leaders. The ones marked with a star are not necessary (because the civ already hasmore leaders) but I like the leaderheads. I'm still looking for some ideas for Zulu and Vietnam.

Leaders:
Spoiler :

• Austria:
    • Maria Theresa*
  • Aztec:
    • Atotozti
  • Babylon:
    • Nebuchadrezzar
  • Byzantine:
    • Constantine
    • Basil
  • Carthage:
    • Dido
  • China:
    • Taizong*
  • Dutch:
    • Johan De Witt
  • Ethiopia:
    • Sellassie
  • Greek:
    • Themistocles
    • Philip II
    • Alexander
  • Inca:
    • Pachacuti
  • Khmer:
    • Pol Pot
  • Mali:
    • Sundiata Keita
  • Portugal:
    • Henry the Navigator
  • Rome:
    • Marcus Aurelius*
  • Spain:
    • Charles I
    • Franco
  • Sumeria:
    • Sargon
  • Viking:
    • Harald II (the bearskin leaderhead)
  • Sioux:
    • Red Cloud
  • Iroquois:
    • Logan
  • Korea:
    • Kim Jong Ill

Traits:
Spoiler :

• Mercantile/Commercial
    • +15% :food: from :traderoute:
    • +15% :hammers: from :traderoute:
    • Double production speed of Custom House
  • Strategic
    • 25% less :gold: to upgrade
    • (+50% Great General Emergence)
    • (or Free promotion (combat or withdrawal) for mounted and armor units)
    • or+2xp from Military Academy
  • Seafaring/Maritime
    • Begins the game with knowledge of sailing
    • +1 Movement for naval units (with Astronomy)
    • 25% Faster production of Caravel
  • Nationalistic
    • No upkeep cost for government civics
    • Faster production of Jail
    • -25 War :mad:

For the additional leaders, I do need some additional traits. I like the Mercantile and Seafaring traits from Tsentom. What do you think of those? Also, would the Strategic trait from Tsentom be overpowered (the one with 50% less upgrade cost)? I think the strategic one should be lowered to 20 or 25% less upgrade cost and something extra (maybe faster building times for certain units or free promo for mounted and/or armor units to symbolice the change in strategies to mobile warfare). For mercantile I'm still looking at changing the name and maybe adding a reduce in city or distance maintenance. For the seafaring, it should get some additional bonusses to make it more usefull overal.

Also, I would be open to some ideas for legends (I don't want to spam it full, it should still be balanced and special). All ideas welcome (art should be available for it).

Legends:
Spoiler :

• Santa Maria
  • Swiss Guard
  • Adler von Lubeck
  • HMS Victory

Future Versions:

More Leaders:
Spoiler :

• Arabia:
    • Abu Bakr
  • Macedonia (new civ):
    • Philip II
    • Alexander
  • Maya:
    • Shield Jaguar?
  • Vietnam:
    • Minh M?ng?
  • Zulu:
    • Cetshwayo kaMpande?
  • India:
    • Akbar*
  • Persia:
    • Xerxes*
  • Japan:
    • Jengu* (not necessary, already enough leaders)

New Civilizations:
Spoiler :

• Macedonia (Alexander & Philip II) -> definatly going to be added
  • Sweden (Gustav Alphonsus)
  • Gran Columbia or Viceroyalty of South America or Peru (Simon Bolivar & Jose de San Martin)

For the greek I'm not yet sure. It would be really cool to split them in Macedonia (with Philip II and Alexander the Great) and Greece (with Pericles and a leader with the old Alexander model) but I'm not sure about the differentiating factors (barrack replacing building of course for Macedonia and the Companion cavalry maybe. The greek would then get the hoplite as UU which was not in that form used by Philip and Alexander). This is just some brainstorming. Any ideas welcome.

A civ which I'm also pondering on adding is maybe Gran Columbia (with Simon Bolivar and maybe someone else (not sure who, not so versed here in that areas history)). But these could always be released seperatly. The civ could also be broadened to incorporate Central America or something.

More Legends:
Spoiler :

• I-400 Carrier Submarie??
  • Afrikakorps

Credits:
Spoiler :

• achilleszero (for all the help with the art)
  • phungus (for LoR)
  • all mod makers of the leaderheads and units (will specify later when I have the time)
  • mod makers of the various pieces incorporated into LoR

Previous versions:

Good deal, your own thread.

So as I was saying before, you could use any of tsentoms traits, but several of them need major reworking. You mentioned that you were interested in seafaring trait as well. There are a few problems with that one. Firstly it describes more of a culture than a leader or personality trait. Secondly, it would need boosting, since navies and ships are almost a side note according to how Firaxis has the game steup. Thirdly, it is a very narrow trait in that there are only a few civs to give it to. Carthage, Vikings, Portugal, Dutch, England. A good trait should be able to be attached to more than just that.

Possibly a merging of the Mercantile trait and Seafaring to symbolize a merchant traading people as a whole, would be in order. Seafaring as it is now is pretty much 2/3 of a trait. Some of the secondary powers of the LoR traits are almost good.

If you are adding close to 20 leaders you will need two traits minumum. And 3 if you really want every one to be described fairly and not stuck with lame pairings because you are running short on traits. Thats assuming you stick with the one trait/one leader axiom.

As far as legends go, I can help make the models if none are readily available or you desire a better match. EdgeCrusher has a lot of legends in his Heroes modcomp, with some great abilities.

I was thinking it would be cool to make traits for civilizations (each civ gets one) and then keep the current traits for leaders. That would add a little bit of variety and make civs have something to set them apart regardless of who's leading them.

I was thinking it would be cool to make traits for civilizations (each civ gets one) and then keep the current traits for leaders. That would add a little bit of variety and make civs have something to set them apart regardless of who's leading them.

Kind of like in RFC where you have a civ goal and ability? Thats something that Ive wanted for a while minus the win condition.

Two or so traits per leader and then one grand over arching trait shared by all leaders of that civ. So playing the americans actually feels different than playing the english. That would be a tall order to come up with 30+ traits for each civ. But a good idea none the less.

Another mod, total realism has these traits for civilisations (next to the traits for leaders). But there's a limited number of them so some civilisations share the same trait.

Kind of like in RFC where you have a civ goal and ability? Thats something that Ive wanted for a while minus the win condition.

Two or so traits per leader and then one grand over arching trait shared by all leaders of that civ. So playing the americans actually feels different than playing the english. That would be a tall order to come up with 30+ traits for each civ. But a good idea none the less.

It doesn't necessarily have to be 30 unique traits. Just a few more general ones (which would be describing the culture of the civilization, not the personality of the leader).

Berenthor, I like the general directions you are going with the Strategic and Seafaring trait. I feel though that it will be a small challenge to merge any of the abilities of Agg or Imp and not make those two traits seem crappy. I have always felt Agg could be boosted some. Imp was already boosted slightly but I think maybe it could be as well. Regardless of all that maybe Strategic could get a building bonus too. Cant do it with the military academy, but may be you could add a small science boost to MA or even +1 xp to MA's for Strategic. Or faster Security Burueas.

Seafaring is already looking much better. The old one was way too geographically specific forcing the player to fight to the ocean to get any benefits what so ever. It wouldve sucked to have seafaring and then get a landlocked starting position.

Did etiher Bolivar or San Martin have anything to do with central america, besides panama being apart of Gran Columbia? I think San Martin would be better for a Argentine or southern South America civ.

Possible leaders:
Vietnam: Minh Mạng
Zulu: Cetshwayo kaMpande

Finding leaderheads for them are going to be a problem. Youll probably wind up using another East Asian LH for the Viet and then I dont even see a tribal African LH you could use for the other one.

Those are nice suggestions for the traits. Do you think mercantile could use a boost? If both Agg and Imp were going to be boosted, what would you suggest? Maybe I can incorporate that. For the strategic and seafaring there are some "or" suggestions. Which do you think will work better?

As for the leaderheads, I'll try to look at what leaderheads would look good for them. The reason for not picking directly Gran Columbia is because it only existed a short time and I wanted to try to combine Peru (San Martin) and Gran Columbia (Simon Bolivar) for example into one civ (name is still a problem, any suggestions?).

Those are nice suggestions for the traits. Do you think mercantile could use a boost? If both Agg and Imp were going to be boosted, what would you suggest? Maybe I can incorporate that. For the strategic and seafaring there are some "or" suggestions. Which do you think will work better?

Im not sure if Mercantile needs a boost or not. As I am unsure exactly how the extra foods and hammers through trade routes works. That is one that I would really need to play to get a grip on its mechanics and power level.

As far as boosting Agg, that is something I have struggled with for some time. Maybe adding a unit class to the free combat promo. But Id really like it to see it gain some different ability besides the free combat. Imperialistic is another problem. It has already gained a revolution related ability so maybe its good now. But to me the trait has never really seemed to closely describe imperialism or empire builder.

As for the leaderheads, I'll try to look at what leaderheads would look good for them. The reason for not picking directly Gran Columbia is because it only existed a short time and I wanted to try to combine Peru (San Martin) and Gran Columbia (Simon Bolivar) for example into one civ (name is still a problem, any suggestions?).

Both of those leaders are problems, as they both were presidents of severaly countries, and lots of different counties claim them as their hero. My original thoughts of Bolivar, when Phungus added him, were to make a Gran Columbia. That is until I really read up on it and found out how short lived it was. But that was just the name Gran Columbia. It was always just known as Columbia, and some view it as it never really broke up (Peru said that it broke up and was not existant, there by nullifying its peace treaties with it). Rather some view it as Ecuador, Panama, Venezuela, and the smaller countries just splitting off of Columbia. Which I tend to agree with. So Gran Columbia is a valid civ choice in my opinion, plus Gran columbia just sounds better than plain old Columbia.

Im not sure if your better off just making San Martin a leader of an Argentine civ. He hass several problems that Bolivar has. He was the 1st president of Peru. But like for a year. Both men are considered liberators of Peru, San Martin starting it and Bolivar finishing it. So considering that Id be hard pressed to pick one over the other for Peru. But considering how much Argentines revere him as their national hero I think it would not be good to give him to another civ.

2 more civs that need a 2nd leader:

Sioux: Red Cloud or Crazy Horse

Iroquois: Joseph Brant
Yeah I know, English name. But read the link. If I had thought about it I would suggested him over Hiawatha, as not much is know of who Hiawatha was or did. But this is probably one of those cases where mass name recognition trumps realitly.

One more thing about San Martin leading Argentina. If you go with Argentina there is already a LH for a 2nd Argentine leader: Peron by Ekmek.

More civs for consideration. Not really ones that I particularly want but ones that I know there is a big call for in mods and ones that atleast have a leader head.

Hebrew/Israel: David and Solomon: one is by Ekmek and the other by theCapo. Possible UU's: Slinger and Maccabee. Not sure about UB.
Hittites: I know Ive seen LHs for two leaders, just cant find them right now. UU could be what ever that 3 man chariot was called. And UB could be Iron Forge.
Thailand/Siam: Mongkut LH by Capo. Not sure on UU's and UB. Ill ask my father next time I see him as he spent time their and is well versed in their history.

I added two sugestions for the leaders by AchillesZero, I forgot about the native american civs :mischief:. I am definatly going to add Macedonia as a civ, with the new package by Bakuel I am convinced. For the others I'm not sure. I just started adding the traits into the game but I hit a snag: I wanted to change colony or city distance costs for the seafaring or mercantile trait but I have no idea how to do it. Does anyone have any idea? It should be be python probably but I can't find the maintenance or colony identifiers anywhere in python. Any idea where?

I wanted to change colony or city distance costs for the seafaring or mercantile trait but I have no idea how to do it. Does anyone have any idea? It should be be python probably but I can't find the maintenance or colony identifiers anywhere in python. Any idea where?

Open up Revolution.py with notepad++ or some sort of codewriting utility (dont' use regular notepad)
Search for phungus

It'll take you to the city distance calculation code. It's actually pretty self explanitory, this is the first actual code I ever worked on (though It's completely re written from what I first wrote), but the thing is I was able to figure out that code, and tweak it originally with no knowledge of coding. I just used common sense and math to figure things out. So you may be able to as well. If not, feel free to ask any specific questions.

Thanks phungus, I was looking in completely the wrong place: I was looking in the CvUtil and PyHelper files or in some of the original py files and didn't think of looking in the revolution ones.
Another question about this: if you want to give experience to a unit upon building (like barracks) but only do it with a certain trait and building (strategic gives MA +2 extra experience for example), were can you change that? In the DomPyHelper file there is a function called getFreeExperience but when I change this, nothing happens.

I'm honestly not sure. You'll have to ask in the main forums. Honestly if I were to do this, I'd do it in the SDK, and create a new tag in the XML for it, instead of using a python hack. But most modders prefer working things like this in via python, as it's sort of simpler (no issue with compiling, etc.), and it makes it easier for merging.

Berenthor: For your macedonian civ, since there are only 4-5 macedon units in that pack, I could make some more to flesh out the macedon unit line up.

Sorry, cant answer your question, but Phungus probly knows. Him and python are like best friends:p.

That would be great, thanks. I'll try to get a first version out as soon as possible. Now with phungus' answer I can start making the traits. I have a few arts already in the game so now on to the leaderInfos. I was thinking myself of keeping the Greek set as it is (with the exception of the swordsman and horseman which I want to replace with the spartan swordsman and horseman from Bakuel's set) and use that swordsman (hypaspist) and horseman (companion cavelry as UU) for the macedonian civ. The rest of the macedonians I want to use from Bakuel's pack. I think the sun emblem would be cool for all the shields. For the modern era units I think I use more russian material (the greeks have US/European material).

I'm honestly not sure. You'll have to ask in the main forums. Honestly if I were to do this, I'd do it in the SDK, and create a new tag in the XML for it, instead of using a python hack. But most modders prefer working things like this in via python, as it's sort of simpler (no issue with compiling, etc.), and it makes it easier for merging.

Thanks, I'll ask there. The reason I don't want to use the DLL is also that I want to make it as easy as possible to use as an add-on for LoR. Making just python and xml add-ons makes updating to newer versions and compatibility a lot easier.

Top Bottom