Leaderscreen Elimination Thread

Just 11 posts ago, Askia was the king of the mountain, and Harald was just hanging on by a string. This has got to be my favourite moment in this thread, narrowly beating Monty going from 30 points to 0 in just one page.

Yeah, I never would have picked the guy with 1 point left to hang on, come back, and win. A real horse race with a photo finish! Frankly, I never expected Askia to break the top five; he got downvoted so many times early on in the competition.

I thought Shaka had a chance because he hovered at 20 for so long, but he attracted too many downvotes when the field narrowed. I can't blame it on warmonger hate though, because three of the four remaining leaders were warmongers.

Just 11 posts ago, Askia was the king of the mountain, and Harald was just hanging on by a string. This has got to be my favourite moment in this thread, narrowly beating Monty going from 30 points to 0 in just one page.

Meh - like I said earlier, isn't this basically a 5-way tie? If I had voted last night, Harald would have been out at #3, but I waited until this morning, and the voting was already done.

These polls are haphazard at the best of times, but especially wonky near the end! :)

Harald Bluetooth - 2
Askia - 3

Huzzah! A technicality! Doctor Doom once again voted without giving rationale for the downvote. Since he left rationale for the upvote, I'm leaving his upvote, but removing his downvote. My votes, of course, are opposite.

Harald is a jolly fellow, but a fellow without a background. Great, but not best. Down. (5-3=2)

Askia is broods in front of a world that looks like Africante's Inferno. Love it. (2 (the vote before Doctor doom subtracted) +1=3)

Now someone else gets to decide.

Harald Bluetooth - 0
Askia - 4
No idea what's just happened here, but I said a lot of times how I love Askia's screen for an excellent combination of music, graphics and voice. Harald's is fine, but worse by far. i like the animations, but other than this, it's pretty empty and bland.

Though I would have put Harald out much earlier (#7 maybe), the rationales given made a TON of sense - I see what makes him unique, and I like him for it.

But I am happy Askia won. I was one of his champions back on Page 5 when he was already down to 14 votes. And the way the voters eventually rallied blew my mind.

Kind of cool that a vanilla screen won it.

This thread is starting to feel like Bioshock Infinite. Thanks to Dr. Doom, we now live in an alternate reality where Askia is the victor. Or maybe he never lost. Congratulations to Askia (for now?) and my condolences to Viregel, who has to keep up with all these reversals.

This thread is starting to feel like Bioshock Infinite. Thanks to Dr. Doom, we now live in an alternate reality where Askia is the victor. Or maybe he never lost. Congratulations to Askia (for now?) and my condolences to Viregel, who has to keep up with all these reversals.

Thanks! By the way, a tip to everyone; NEVER start an elimination thread. Ever. It's hell to try to puzzle out what's going on once you've been away for five minutes. Thank you very much to those who managed to keep the thread going in the right direction; I did a pretty bad job myself.

On a related note, I was thinking that we could keep the thread going for a while longer, by discussing what the leaderscreens should be to make them the most awesome video game graphics ever. :p

Uhm, excuse me, but Harald won.

This is weird

He didn't.

Dr. Doom didn't give any reasoning for the downvote, so his vote doesn't count.

The same thing happened with Shaka and, IIRC, Pachacuti. They were killed off because of votes without reasoning and slightly later on they were brought back to life when people realised the mistake.

On a related note, I was thinking that we could keep the thread going for a while longer, by discussing what the leaderscreens should be to make them the most awesome video game graphics ever. :p

Take away Pachy's checkerboard dress and replace it with... Anything, and it would heavily improve the scene. ;)

Rule on page 1
"By the way, upvotes are +1 and downvotes are -3, and you can only vote once every 24 hours"

Truenarian's last two votes broke the rules then:
12/12 7:41 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12953141&postcount=578
12/13 10:58 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12954279&postcount=604

An Inception like ending. Many layers! I don't really care which way the ending goes.

Anyways, maybe Firaxis will use this thread to better understand what its players like in a leader screen! I still hope they fix the "Gustavus Adolphus" screen because in my opinion, it's as bad a mistake as the Civ IV Qin Shi Huang/Kublia Khan blunder.

Anyways, maybe Firaxis will use this thread to better understand what its players like in a leader screen! I still hope they fix the "Gustavus Adolphus" screen because in my opinion, it's as bad a mistake as the Civ IV Qin Shi Huang/Kublia Khan blunder.

The tragic thing is that Gus' leaderscreen is actually REALLY good. If I had a chance to, I would have upvoted it, but alas, Maria had my attention. I understand that some people are crazy about historical accuracy, but, really? He has different facial hair than he had in a particular portrait. Are leaders not allowed to change their hair?

As to your 24 hour vote thingy, I think that just about everyone int his thread broke that rule, and it was a silly one. Personally, I always used more of a once-per-day voting system for my votes, usually with at least 12 hours between them.

I interpreted the voting rules as "once per calender day" not "once per exact 24 hour period". I find it funny how many times people gave up on Shaka, only to have him bounce back and make it to the final three.

I scanned the rest of the thread to be sure, and didn't see any more votes without rationales, although some of them were arguably a bit..... thin. The final downvote for Dido amounts to "HULK SMASH DIDO!", and Dr. Doom randomly thanked a random forum user without actually explaining his downvote a few pages back. At this point though, it's probably best for everyone's sanity if we just look the other way.

At this point though, it's probably best for everyone's sanity if we just look the other way.

Yeah, as the thread creator said, the top four, at this point, are really interchangeable. I'll just use than as an excuse to believe that Portugal won. :crazyeye:

I understand that some people are crazy about historical accuracy, but, really? He has different facial hair than he had in a particular portrait. Are leaders not allowed to change their hair?

It's not just a "particular portrait". Google image Gustavus Adolphus. It's almost every historic painting and monument.

I will redirect everyone to my earlier post for comparison pictures:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12912234&postcount=176
It's clearly Eric, with Gustavus' sash. The facial hair is one of the major defining features, but not the only. Both leaders are portrayed wearing an armor in portraits, but they directly copied the wikipedia image of Eric's armor as well. I think this shows they didn't just mess up his hair cut.

I do not think I am "crazy about historical accuracy" for wanting the correct leader in the screen! I think your indifference is crazy.

They might as well gave Washington a pink mohawk and a Rolly Fingers mustache, leaders are allowed to change their hair right? Better yet, just change Washington's entire picture with that of Richard Nixon's. Who cares about accuracy right.

EDIT: I was not calling for another scoring switch. I even stated I could care less about the outcome of the game. I just think its funny how True was quick to dismiss Doom's votes, when he was breaking the rule himself. I don't care about your "interpretation" either.

What I meant by 'crazy' for historical accuracy was that some people would go insane if a tea cup was so much as placed the wrong way. Pink hair dye didn't exist back then, and even if it did, someone of Washington's stature wouldn't use it, nor would he have a mohawk.

The indifference towards Gus' facial hair is that it's super crazy (Monty waving around machine guns and grenade launchers). I looked at the photos and the only big difference I see between the beards is that one is longer than the other. They're both orange, they're both long(ish), and they're both awesome. The fact that his facial hair is longer than it 'should be' really doesn't bother me.

Yeah, if they had Abraham Lincoln beardless or Napoleon 2 meters tall you wouldn't consider it crazy to have a problem with it, would you ?

I mean, I had no idea what Gustavus Adolfus looked like but there's obviously been a mistake on Firaxis' part, and they should fix it.

Top Bottom