Legions

What bothers me is the range of ranged units. I hate seeing archers shooting at targets that are 2 hexes away but I know in time we'll be able to fix that.

Would it be possible to turn ranged artillery units (archers, catapults, cannons) into civilian units that have the ranged ability but can be captured (I don't think archers should have that option) or be destroyed when the defending unit on top is defeated?

That would defeat the whole purpose of 1UPT: forcing you to defend your weaker ranged units by having them behind your stronger units. Without a front and rear, your weak units will be too strong since you'll have to defeat the strong unit to get to them. If you're being bothered by ranged units, get some faster units to out-flank them and come from behind.

What bothers me is the range of ranged units. I hate seeing archers shooting at targets that are 2 hexes away but I know in time we'll be able to fix that.

I still think Civ3 had the best representation of archers/bow weapons. Archers are normal melee unit with limited strength, but a defensive bombard. If there are any UU that are archers/bows, they get 1 tile offensive bombard to give them a little uniqueness. But normal archers shouldn't get ranged bombard. For gameplay balance, that should be left to siege weapons.

I don't have Civ5 yet, but reading about how siege/bombard weapons now works, it seems strange. So if my horsemen attack a catapult, the catapult is destroyed? That doesn't make any sense at all. The horsemen would run down the people manning the catapults, but the catapults should be captured.

But normal archers shouldn't get ranged bombard. For gameplay balance, that should be left to siege weapons.

I really don't understand why archers from the Stone Age have more range than modern firearms.

That would defeat the whole purpose of 1UPT: forcing you to defend your weaker ranged units by having them behind your stronger units. Without a front and rear, your weak units will be too strong since you'll have to defeat the strong unit to get to them. If you're being bothered by ranged units, get some faster units to out-flank them and come from behind.
You do realize that this thread is dedicated to a mod that has the specific purpose of getting rid of the 1upt system, right?

IMO then reducing the range of most of the ranged units (and especially the English Longbow) would be a fitting addition to this mod.

Nether one of these mods will download in my game, something about an http error.

Kael, could you please post this and your other mods on the CFC database still, and provide a link on the OP. The mod browser is a bad joke at the moment, it doesn't function properly, and I would imagine most the people trying to download this are having epic failures. I've tried downloading some of these small mods a few hundred times, and it always fails within the mod browser. Only way I have gotten a mod to install successfully so far is the old fashioned way.

It's not my intent to remove the 1UPT but rather relabel military support units as hybrids. Civilian in that they can be captured, but military in that they can bombard. Plain and simple. I see nothing wrong with having to protect your weaker units.

It's not my intent to remove the 1UPT but rather relabel military support units as hybrids. Civilian in that they can be captured, but military in that they can bombard. Plain and simple.

I like this idea outside of a 1UPT system which this mod creates. Yes, I forgot I was replying in this particular thread above.

I see nothing wrong with having to protect your weaker units.

Certainly true, my point is that allowing them to be stacked on the same tile as a significantly stronger unit makes them too easy to defend. But this is an argument against unit stacking in general and thus has no place here. :)

I'd be happy with just having 1 military unit (sword, warrior, etc) and 1 support unit (archer, cannon, etc). per hex. I have no problems with losing them if the guarding unit is destroyed. That's not really changing a ton there either as you can already have military units protecting civilian units.

I changed it down to 2UPT and dropped the city changes myself and found it worked nicely. Not so many traffic jams but no real SoD either. Hard to say how the AI is handling it (or not) because the one war I had were tech was equal, the egyptians had no army and were quickly overrun.

Since then, I've come to completely surpass the AI (reached industrial just as first AI reached renaissance) so can't really speak to how well they're using it. Modern armor vs pikes/muskets isn't really fair comparison.

Modern armor vs pikes/muskets isn't really fair comparison.

Yes, but if the AI were to stack two pikemen versus your one modern armor . . . er, never mind.

is it hard to mod the 1UPT? I only want that and not the whole mod? Anyway you can post/show how to end the stacking limit?

is it hard to mod the 1UPT? I only want that and not the whole mod? Anyway you can post/show how to end the stacking limit?

NO, there is a value in the global defines for the amount of units per tile. It defaults to 1, this mod changes it to 999.

It defaults to 1, this mod changes it to 999.

999? A little stingy, no? I'm playing a warmongering game now and don't think I've built more than 20 units--and I'm about to reach Rifling. It's tough to build units since you have to build gold, happiness, and culture buildings just to keep your economy afloat.

999? A little stingy, no? I'm playing a warmongering game now and don't think I've built more than 20 units--and I'm about to reach Rifling. It's tough to build units since you have to build gold, happiness, and culture buildings just to keep your economy afloat.

For all practical purposes 999 means infinite amount of units per tile.

It is going to take a lot more than merely raising the number allowed on each tile before this is going to be workable for play, since there is no code for making the proper checks to see if units can actually advance into a tile containing other units.

If you move into a friendly unit/stack then you get the popup if you are sure you want to declare war, but before you can answer yes or no your unit will already have advanced into the tile.

Likewise when defeating an enemy unit after attacking then the winning unit will advance into the loosers tile - regardless if that tile still contains more enemy units.

Also, civilian units are still not permitted to pass through/share tiles with friendly units belonging to other players.

how does AI deal with this? Does it avoid placing more than one unit in the tile? It would be nice if it only worked for civilians only since that is the only problem I have with 1UPT. Also, where is this mod on my comp I can't seem to find it.

For all practical purposes 999 means infinite amount of units per tile.

I think your sarcasm detector is broken. ;)

In any case, I'm really excited to see modding happen even before the tools are available. This should be pretty fun once it gets seriously hopping.

Top Bottom