Legislative Destiny of America

mrrandomplayer

Hopeless Situation Warrior
Greetings! I am mrrandomplayer, back from a hiatus from S&T. I am sad that RT's story ended the way it did, and having seen the failure of my previous IAAR, I am going to commence a new one using America as the civilization of choice. However, unlike many others, this will be a Realpolitik based on the actual American congress, with the players as Senators and possibly some executive offices. (We are going to start with constitutional rules from 1776 so we don't have to deal with a constitutional convention)

How stuff happens:

Each person participating is a Senator from a certain state or a governor of a state. Players may also run for President and be appointed to cabinet positions such as Secretary of State and Secretary of the Treasury.

Legislative:

After elections, Senators will write bills relating to things that America can do. This could include researching technology, building units, etc... Then, they will submit the bills to me and everyone will have a few days to write speeches in the affirmation or negation. After that, votes are taken on all of the bill.

Executive:

Once the legislative branch is finished submitting bills, the President gets to choose whether to sign or veto bills. If bills are vetoed, Congress can make a vote to override the veto by a 2/3 majority. Executive positions other than the President can make orders, for example, the Secretary of State can sign foreign treaties, and the Secretary of the Treasury can dictate gold spending. Governors can also give orders for worker improvements and city builds. Once all of that is done, the president plays out the term on the save file (4 years). The president will take screenshots and provide the update.

The judicial branch will be run by me, the GM.

Character Template:
Name: The name of the character
Player: The player of the character
Home State: The home state of the character. This will be important for national elections and senate seats/governorships.
Career: The career of the character. Careers include: President, Vice President, Senator, Governor, various cabinet positions, and political retirement (no political job)
Age: The age of the character. 30 is the minimum age required for being a senator, 35 for president. The older the character, the more respect is given, but the more likely the character is to die or get sick.
Backstory: Provide a backstory for your character.

How elections work:
For senators: As long as 2 or fewer people are interested in running for senator of a state, they win the election, provided that they haven't made some huge political error (ex. being strongly antislavery in antebellum South Carolina) and are fit to run.
For governors: Same with Senators, but only 1 person should run.
For presidents: Mount a political campaign of speeches and the like, and then on Election Day, the various states' electoral votes (determined by city population + tile improvements) will be decided on by me and a few other unbiased people who aren't on CFC.
For Vice Presidents: Until an amendment is made about running as a ticket, Vice Presidents also run, with 2nd place being Vice-President.

Begin posting characters!

Bill Formatting:

A Bill to <stuff> for the purpose of <goal>
Be it enacted by the Congress assembled that:
Section 1: Describe in a few sentences what the bill does and its goal.
Section 2: Clear up ambiguities and technicalities. Basically describe what the bill does in-game.
Section 3: Describe what section of the Executive Branch will enforce this bill.
Section 4: Describe what year the bill will take place, and if it expires, when it expires.
Section 5: All legislation in conflict with this bill are hereby declared null and void.

Introduced to Congress by Senator <name> of <state>

Sample Bill:
A Bill to Build Libraries for the Purpose of Education and Science
Section 1: Congress shall federally endorse a program of building public libraries in major cities to promote education and science.
Section 2: As soon as production becomes idle in each currently existing city, a library will be constructed.
Section 3: State Governors shall oversee the implementation of this bill.
Section 4: This bill shall take effect immediately upon passage.
Section 5: All legislation in conflict with this bill are declared null and void.

Introduced to Congress by Senator T. Renzo Trevisan of New Jersey

Current Docket

Revolutionary War and Ratification Years

Current Governmental Positions:
Senators:
John Dilly of New York
Robert Smith of New York
Samuel Clemings of Pennsylvania
Joshua Rabbit of Delaware
Governors:
Henry Smith of Massachussetts

1792-1796 Docket

Senator Joshua Rabbit said:
A Bill to explore and expand for the purpose of exploring the Earth and improving our standing
Section 1: To order some of our navy to explore the seas and conduct friendly trade with other nations
Section 2: Order either the production of a new ship to explore in New York City, or use an idle boat to explore. After that, trade maps, techs, and form alliances with other nations
Section 3: The president and executives of foreign relations will oversee the implementation
Section 4: The bill will be enacted immediately if passed, and will last until until we meet every nation there is
Section 5: All legislation in conflict with this bill are hereby declared null and void.

Introduced to Congress by Senator Joshua Rabbit of Delaware

Senator Samuel Clemings said:
A Bill to Increase Geographic Size
Be it enacted by Congress assembled that:
Section 1: We must train at least 3 divisions of men and women to settle new cities
Section 2: Those settlers will be put on the other side of New France to enable an attack on both sides
Section 3: The President will find the best locations for these new cities.
Section 4: This bill will be enacted immediately.
Section 5: All bills in conflict with this legislature are declared null and void.

Introduced to Congress by Senator Samuel Clemings of Pennsylvania

Senator Robert Smith of Massachusetts said:
A Bill to Expand the Army
Be it enacted by Congress assembled that:
Section 1: The size of the United States Army will be increased
Section 2: Each city will produce a minuteman and cannon each after their current production unless it is producing ships for the aforementioned bill.
Section 3: The Secretary of the Army will oversee the enforcement of this bill.
Section 4: This bill will be enacted immediately.
Section 5: All bills in conflict with this legislature are declared null and void.

Introduced to Congress by Senator Robert Smith of Massachusetts

Yay.
Name:John Dilly(I'm terrible at making names)
Player: VGL
Home State:New York,NYC
Career: Senator
Backstory: Was grown in a poor,liberal Farming Family.He Remembered the times where there was low liberty and there was low attention to the poor during the Great Britain rule.so because of that,He is a liberal trying to make everyone equal.He was a governor for a year until he got kicked out because of spreading enlightenment .He was active in the revolution and got shot too.

May I be an independent voter or would I be required to run for an office?

May I be an independent voter or would I be required to run for an office?

To impact decisions, you have to have some sort of political office. There aren't any political parties right now, though...

I was talking about independent voting like what was going on in those last two realpolitiks where you could vote for a party/president. If not, oh well.

I was talking about independent voting like what was going on in those last two realpolitiks where you could vote for a party/president. If not, oh well.

No. You don't vote for parties or presidents. If you're a senator, you write and pass bills that cause the president to do stuff.

Is our land area the same as the original 13 colonies? Or is it more? I need to know what the states are :p

Do you really think that there needs to be -ANOTHER- America thread? By the time I get to Ironclad Oath you will have killed all patience there is for America role playing. There is already two ongoing ones. Could you at least change the title from the America: ... structure to something different? Perhaps just rename it to Legislate Destiny? I really feel like this is a Bollywood rip-off.

This story has already been done. By me. And for the amount of work I put into it I'm rather annoyed by this. I won't be participating in this and I thought you'd at least give the America (1776+) idea a moment of silence.

Do you really think that there needs to be -ANOTHER- America thread? By the time I get to Ironclad Oath you will have killed all patience there is for America role playing. There is already two ongoing ones. Could you at least change the title from the America: ... structure to something different? Perhaps just rename it to Legislate Destiny? I really feel like this is a Bollywood rip-off.

This story has already been done. By me. And for the amount of work I put into it I'm rather annoyed by this. I won't be participating in this and I thought you'd at least give the America (1776+) idea a moment of silence.

Did you even read the rules? This is a completely different style of game. This will be nothing like your IAAR. I'm sorry if you feel that you're being ripped off, but if America isn't in the title, it will be a little difficult for people to tell who they're playing as.

Name: Samuel Clemings
Player: CaterpillarKing
Home State: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Career: Senator
Backstory: Samuel Clemings was born into a modest family. Neither rich nor poor, always in the middle. He got a job when he was young and was able to pay his way through college in England, a very difficult thing to do. Once back in America he did his country well by serving as a Major in the army in the fight for independence. He was a master tactician and is known both for his intelligence, but his charisma. He quit the army to pursue a life of politics and is wanting to represent his state well.

I've bumped into a small anachronistic problem; should I start in 1777, the first important in-game turn, and just have Washington be the President until peace with England, or 1789, when the first presidential election happened?

How about we go exactly historical and you play as America under the articles of confederation until 1789 and then the constitution is signed in by every state (except the Rhode Islanders :mad:)

Exactly, as I said. Recreate the beginning of American history because I'm sure you know what happened, with Shay's Rebellion and all that jazz.

When America was founded in 1776 we did not have the constitution. The original document to lead America was known as the Articles of Confederation. At the time it didn't matter too much because we were fighting for independence and had more things to worry about, but then the Revolutionary War ended in 1783. America was still under the before stated Articles of Confederation. Under these articles each state was much more independent and decided their own things and the central government had little to no power. This caused mass inefficiency as some states used their own currencies. Daniel Shays was a farmer who was severely affected by this. He gathered together a bunch of people who were also pissed off and created "Shays' Rebellion". This would go down as proof that the Articles of Confederation sucked. The states each sent in representatives to discuss a rewriting of the articles. Unfortunately all 13 states had to agree to change and the one state who didn't agree was Rhode Island because they benefited because they were so weak and small. The states didn't rewrite the articles though, they threw it away essentially. That was when the constitution was officially written and that is how America how we know it was created. The first president was actually John Hansen under the Articles of Confederation. We just consider George Washington the first because he was the first under the Constitution. And that was some American history :D

subbed

The first president was actually John Hansen

I did not know that, Interesting

Top Bottom