Let's discuss Mathematics

So you're summing up terms
xi(yi-xi) -z(yi-xi)
=(xi-z)(yi-xi),
right?

And you are hoping that the sum of these products is the same as the product of sums? That's not the case. Simple example:
2*5 +3*4 +1*1 is not (2+3+1)(5+4+1).

So you're summing up terms
xi(yi-xi) -z(yi-xi)
=(xi-z)(yi-xi),
right?

And you are hoping that the sum of these products is the same as the product of sums? That's not the case. Simple example:
2*5 +3*4 +1*1 is not (2+3+1)(5+4+1).

I'm not sure what helps azzaman with his original problem because his wording and context is a little confusing, but your example doesn't match what he wrote. In fact, what he wrote is certainly true in simple instances, really just distributive property, for example:

3*(5-3) - 2*(5-3) = (3-2)(5-3) = 2

If you're dealing with finite numbers in your sequence I don't see what's wrong with what azzaman said first, maybe if the xi and yi values diverge you might not be able to do that, I didn't really look into it further.

edit - ok, I was so caught up in responding to Atticus that I missed what should be part of an the answer to azzaman's question.

You can't actually split up the summation just like that. You can just rewrite it as (xi-z)(yi-xi) though inside the sum, if that helps.

In fact I might have miscontrued Atticus post in that it seemed like he was attempting to give a counterexample to the first part of his post in the second when maybe he wasn't. The example he gives matches the problem with what azzaman was attempting.

final edit for azzaman -I don't know what you are actually trying to prove and whether it's much simpler, but if you need an anvil to hammer a nail just using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality could help you azzaman, or what you need for your proof might be found in a component of that proof.

I know I'm keeping it simple here.

I understand we don't know all the formulas and ideas for all the science out there. When you think about it simply it makes sense.

Take a normal room say 30 length, width, and height. You could fit littler kids into that room. You could almost fill it up in some cases.

Now take the same room and fill it with the kids grown up 20 years later. It's much more difficult to fit in. Some may have to leave or you expand the room.

That's exactly what's happening to the universe imo. You don't need relativity to prove it when you can tell the mass of all objects varies. It increases and decreases with time.

Further, if at least gravity as we know it and relativity as we know it didn't exist we'd be unable to move.

Are best conclusion is we're one of many outcomes of universes. Like why could any universe even start. The truth is still in mystery.

Your post has a your characteristic lack of clarity to it, Millman.

However, it doesn't seem to be related to mathematics. Perhaps the Science questions not worth a thread thread would be more appropriate.

I wouldn't say there is anything necessarily wrong with the post structure- but it does literally look like it was accidentally posted in this thread rather than the science questions thread, because the science questions thread was discussing the expansion of the universe (that it didn't just expand from a center point like the center of a sphere and all that).

I will add 'how many scientists does it take to replace a light bulb'.

I will also add 'the adults entering the room didn't shrink over time and neither did the room.'

But how would you know from only a 3D rep your mind's eye provides?

Edit-It's also a matter of detectability.

That we are too massive to see atoms and things without equipment. There may even be some things we can't detect. It's like the Sun trying to detect Earth. Any normal burst should destroy us.

We are on a hunt for the final variables and omniscience. What will we discover?

Moderator Action: spam
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Show that any sequence of 10 consecutive positive integers contains at least one number that is relatively prime to the product of all the others.

Show that any sequence of 10 consecutive positive integers contains at least one number that is relatively prime to the product of all the others.

The following lemma suffices:

Lemma : In any sequence of 10 consecutive positive integers, there is one that is divisible by neither 2, 3, 5 or 7.

Once we have the lemma, it suffices to pick an integer x with the property guaranteed by lemma. If x is not relatively prime to the product of all others, then it is not relatively prime to one of them, let's say y.

In particular, gcd(x,y) is more than 1 but, by Euclid's algorithm, gcd(x,y) divides |x-y| which is at most 9. It follows that one of 2,3,5 or 7 must divide gcd(x,y) and hence x, contradiction.

It remains to prove lemma. Note that it suffices to prove the lemma for integers up to 210=2*3*5*7.

There are different ways to prove this, I simply ran a small program, here are the integers up to 210 satisfying the conclusion of the lemma :

There is no gap greater than 10 (in fact, only 2 gaps of size 10, at the beginning and the end).

Nice argument. It took me some time to see why

Note that it suffices to prove the lemma for integers up to 210=2*3*5*7.

holds (The pattern of divisibility by 2, 3, 5, 7 repeats with period 210.)

I proved your lemma directly as follows:

Any sequence of 10 consecutive positive integers contains
* exactly 5 that are divisible by 2.
* at most 4 that are divisible by 3, and of those, at most 2 that are not divisible by 2.
* exactly 2 that are divisible by 5, and of those, exactly one that is not divisible by 2.
* at most two that are divisible by 7, and of those, at most one that is not divisible by 2.

Therefore, any sequence of 10 consecutive positive integers contains at most 5 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 9 integers that are divisible by 2, 3, 5 or 7 and so at least one must be divisible by none of them.

Is it true that R is becoming pretty widely used in academic work in stats? Like, if I learned how to use R and not SPSS or whatever the other commercial packages are, would I be learnin' something useless?

Is it true that R is becoming pretty widely used in academic work in stats? Like, if I learned how to use R and not SPSS or whatever the other commercial packages are, would I be learnin' something useless?

I've taken some higher undergrad and low level grad stats lately, and what I heard in class was that SPSS was preferred though Minitab was acceptable. I have no clue what "R" is. In professional use in the past (scientific) a range of graphing/statistical packages has been acceptable (MS Excel, Graphpad Prism, Kaleidoscope). SPSS is almost a programming language for stats is preferred for the customization in display and algorithm that it allows, which was the impression I got.

I think your best bet would be to look at the journals you would actually cite in your own work, and see what their author submission guidelines are, which should include information on acceptable statistical analysis.

Go for R. It is widely used, especially if you look at the people who actually do research on statistics, not research with statistics. SPSS is IMO second choice, anyway. Use SAS or R. R if you can, SAS if you must.

Wow! There's a prestigious mathematician in the thread now! ;)

Its so nice being noticed! :D

In other news, I don't understand how the empty set axiom and the axiom of pairing in ZF are mutually consistent (could be that the bookywooky I read them in misstated them). ENLIGHTEN ME!

If you learn R it shouldn't be hard to learn SPSS or SAS later if you need it. By that I mean, if you're capable of learning one of those packages, you're quite capable of learning another if it becomes necessary. But even if you could only ever learn one of them, R is a fine choice.

In other news, I don't understand how the empty set axiom and the axiom of pairing in ZF are mutually consistent (could be that the bookywooky I read them in misstated them). ENLIGHTEN ME!

Tell us what's wrong with them first, that's the easier procedure. My first thought is that you read/the book printed some quantification wrong.

Top Bottom