Liberals Protesting Democracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the most ridiculous thing and this seemed like the most appropriate thread for it. I was going to post it in the rants thread but didn't want to junk it up with political talk. Anyway:

I just got done reading a bunch of stuff from whacked out Hillary supporters who say Trump should be denied the presidency because Russians hacking Hillary's and the DNC's emails should constitute foreign influence over our elections, thus making the result invalid and illegitimate. This is, of course, nonsense. That would be like saying a murderer's conviction is illegitimate because his Peeping Tom (which is illegal, just like hacking) neighbor is the one that saw him murder someone and that testimony is what got him convicted.

Not to mention, I'm really getting fed up with the hypocrisy from Hillary supporters. They are seriously now doing the exact same thing they criticized Trump supporters for threatening to do if he had been the one to lose. They are refusing to accept the results of a fair and democratic election and trying every last trick in the book to change the result to the one they wanted instead of accepting the results like a mature adult human would. To any Hillary supporter engaging in this behavior I say this: grow the hell up. Say what you want about Republicans and their supporters, but they didn't pull crap like this when both McCain and Romney lost.

Even though they will do it for the wrong reasons, that would still be the right thing to do. Anything that helps weaken the current trend of obstructionist politics can only be a good thing for our government.
So much for the minority rights (ability for those outnumbered to not be steamrolled) you have been harping on lately.

No, they just went to congress and refused to do their jobs.
Yeah, I have to throw a flag on that play too. Claiming that Republicans took the high road when Obama won is beyond absurd.

No, they just went to congress and refused to do their jobs.

Did they really, though? There's this misconception that anyone in Washington seriously believes that their job is to formulate good policy with scientific precision, like good little neoliberal machine men. Even neoliberals realize - whether or not they explicitly say so - that the job of our "representative" officials is to either push or obstruct policy in the name of the special interests. Republicans were very much doing their jobs when they obstructed and fought the incredibly moderate and centrist proposals that Breezy Obeezy and the Democrats were trying to pursue the last eight years. They were defending the power and privilege of their backers, which is their "job," and they did a good job, actually, and have been rewarded not just by the people who hold them by the wallet but also by their constituency that identifies with the special interests and their wealth and power.

Not to mention, I'm really getting fed up with the hypocrisy from Hillary supporters. They are seriously now doing the exact same thing they criticized Trump supporters for threatening to do if he had been the one to lose. They are refusing to accept the results of a fair and democratic election and trying every last trick in the book to change the result to the one they wanted instead of accepting the results like a mature adult human would. To any Hillary supporter engaging in this behavior I say this: grow the hell up.

I think the protesters actually doing something while white supremacists are appointed in a President's cabinet & the EPA is gutted in the midst of climate change are 100x more responsible than you will probably ever be. They're not rejecting the results, they're rejecting the idea of a mandate to destroy the country, but your cherrypicking to make yourself feel superior.

Your lack of perspective, your ability to cast yourself as that armchair quarterback of protest movements...we've seen this before, from the WTO protests, to the Iraq War protests and the civil rights movement, yet you're gonna fall right into it.

I hope you'll have the courtesy to admit you were wrong in 2 years.

Republicans filed hundreds of lawsuits against the President regarding the birther nonsense with the aim of getting Obama tossed out of office. I can't really buy that Republicans accepted the losses of McCain and Romney.

I think the protesters actually doing something while white supremacists are appointed in a President's cabinet & the EPA is gutted in the midst of climate change are 100x more responsible than you will probably ever be. They're not rejecting the results, they're rejecting the idea of a mandate to destroy the country, but your cherrypicking to make yourself feel superior.

Your lack of perspective, your ability to cast yourself as that armchair quarterback of protest movements...we've seen this before, from the WTO protests, to the Iraq War protests and the civil rights movement, yet you're gonna fall right into it.

You and I both know that the goal of this kind of talking is to make protesting seem stupid, silly and childish, and hopefully denigrate it so hard that people don't do it anymore. There'll be no apologies. There's no shaming these people.

So much for the minority rights (ability for those outnumbered to not be steamrolled) you have been harping on lately.

I'm only harping on it in regards to elections. Once it comes to actually governing, I believe efficiency and expediency should be the prime objectives. The filibuster is one of the main reasons hardly anything gets done in Congress.

What serious attempt was made to remove Obama from office though? And some loon filing something in court to get Obama to release his birth certificate doesn't count. That's what my post was about. People want to waste their time protesting whatever "cause" they think is important, that's on them. I really don't care one way or the other as long as they don't disrupt my life.

What a sad world we live in where the ones defending the legitimate results of a fair election are painted as the bad guys. The people protesting this election are not noble crusaders fighting for justice. They are petulant, immature children who are throwing a nationwide tantrum because they didn't get their way. These protestors remind me of my five year old daughter when she pouts and cries because I didn't buy her that toy she wanted.

People want to waste their time protesting whatever "cause" they think is important, that's on them. I really don't care one way or the other as long as they don't disrupt my life.
Said the average Brit about Gandhi... said the average Alabamian about MLK... said the average Bostonian loyalist about the Boston Tea Party...

The point of political protest is to be disruptive. It doesn't work otherwise. Also...
my five year old daughter when she pouts and cries because I didn't buy her that toy
This literally never happens with my kids, ages 6, 4 and 3... no effing way... The house of Sommer ain't no damn democracy...just sayin ;)

What a sad world we live in where the ones defending the legitimate results of a fair election are painted as the bad guys. The people protesting this election are not noble crusaders fighting for justice. They are petulant, immature children who are throwing a nationwide tantrum because they didn't get their way. These protestors remind me of my five year old daughter when she pouts and cries because I didn't buy her that toy she wanted.

This is the absolute truth. When there's such a vote, some people are going to lose, and if a person is emotionally invested, they're going to lose hard. I'm pretty disgusted, with the things he's said and the way he's been, Trump won. I didn't choose Clinton because Clinton is somehow good for the country, but because Trump is clearly worse. That's , unfortunately, the hand we're dealt sometimes in life. But it's my job, as an American citizen, to not make life hell for surrounding people, as blocking roadways and causing damage, just because I didn't get my way. That is very bad.

The sum total of Trump's statements, policies, associations, characteristics and appointments are certainly pretty much demanding protest and opposition. He's not a business-as-usual candidate. Why do people think politics is a one-and-done thing on election day only?

The point of political protest is to be disruptive. It doesn't work otherwise.

Absolutely not. Disruptive protest, causing interference in others' daily lives, is particularly counter to encouraging the opposing side to listen. You might have a terrific idea, but if you're making others' lives hell while you deliver your message, I, for one, just shut you out completely.

The sum total of Trump's statements, associations, characteristics and appointments are certainly worthy of protest and opposition. Why do people think politics is a one-and-done thing on election day only?

Because that is what they desperately want it to be.

Absolutely not. Disruptive protest, causing interference in others' daily lives, is particularly counter to encouraging the opposing side to listen.

Might I encourage you to familiarise yourself with, you know, the entire history of organised protest?

The sum total of Trump's statements, associations, characteristics and appointments are certainly worthy of protest and opposition. He's not a business-as-usual candidate. And at any rate, politics isn't a one-and-done shot.

Opposition and steadfast demonstration of example, not street protest. Too many street protests just becomes shades of grey, routine, obnoxious. Save it for the really bad issues, but then, there are few of those around right now. We have it so good, we're actually starting to "consume ourselves" without a genuine conflict. No, I don't think people demonstrating on the street have genuine concerns, because Trump hasn't done anything yet. He, you, I, anyone, can "say" this is what they'd like and that's Trumps right to free expression, which actually is being shut down, simply by louder voices. It's unfortunate people can't step out of the situation to evaluate what's really happening.

Yes, racists and other outwardly bigoted people have opinions that seem vile, but they have a right to that. Saying otherwise actually adversely affects "your" right to express your views. Until someone actually "does" something really bad, though, it's all rhetoric, all opinion, and Trump doesn't yet have the ability to exercise any such action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom