Liberty.

kkapalk

Warlord
I was wondering what is the best strategy when opening the Liberty social policy tree? Is it wise to choose Republic, then go for the free settler? This means I would probably have to build a worker. Or is it better to go for the free worker first, which means building a settler? I like to expand as fast as possible, because when I limit the expansion I find myself falling behind other civs. I play domination games and wondered if it is best to go so far into the Liberty tree then enter tradition? Is there a common sense route through the social policies generally speaking, or do the choices vary depending on the start you get? Any pointers would be helpful. I ask this because I realise the start is crucial.Thanks, Kev.

I've always head its best to go for republic and then collective rule first. Cause if you dont, it will take a long time before you settle your second city. And if you train a settler before collective rule, you basicly waste the hamers from the 50% bonus you get.

You will have to train a worker and improve the nearest happines resource quite soon, otherwise your happines goes into the red when you found your second city

I use this strategy for Liberty (Immortal level):
1. Citezenship
2. Representation - ideally just before you plant your first settler - this way you will get +1:c5culture: for Golden age from Representation
3. Republic
4. Collective Rule (you 3rd settler)
5. Meritocracy

And if you train a settler before collective rule, you basicly waste the hamers from the 50% bonus you get.

I dont know. I've played games as France where I start monument, settler, settler, settler in the capital and it worked reasonably well.

I'm gonna say something that no civ player ever heard or said before. Are you ready? Sure?
Ok, here we go...

There is no best strategy. It's map dependent and each case is different.

Admit you didn't expect that! :)

Use the word situational and you will sound more professional.

actually you will sound like you belong in the navy if you start using words like situational but you didn't hear that from me.

How's the salary? I might consider changing profession if I like what I hear. :p

The pay is however good you are. first place is a cadiallac el derado, second place is a set of steak knives, third place is your fired.

scheva 007 and matthewt,thanks for the helpful advice. I am going to experiment a bit with different strategies. Pilgrim, sorry for not undestanding the blinding obvious facts about the policy trees.

scheva 007 and matthewt,thanks for the helpful advice. I am going to experiment a bit with different strategies. Pilgrim, sorry for not undestanding the blinding obvious facts about the policy trees.

Try france with liberty one game. You can get a ridiculous amount of settlers out early.

Back in the day France was the preferred civ and everyone would just spam cities and trading posts.

I don't think it really matters a TON if you go free worker or free settler first.

I mean, no matter what you do, you want to get a worker ASAP; if you go the free settler route you will just buy a worker for 310; if you go free worker you will improve luxes and sell them to buy a settler.

To me, the biggest reason why I choose one or another when I play Liberty (which, admittedly, is not frequently) is whether I want/need Representation early for the extra hammer. A second condition is if I have a particularly gold light start e.g. few civs met and no or few city states met, where the 310 worker would come too late.

I notice that you talk about building an early worker/settler. In my opinion your first 18-25 turns, whether you go liberty or tradition, should be scout monument granary. Even with liberty you still need your capital to grow, especially early in the game. In this period I always buy a worker if I'm not taking the free worker. If you sell embassy to every civ you meet as soon as they get writing, aggressively try to meet city states and gather ruins, and then sell GPT when you reach 220 or 198, you can get a worker out very quickly by buying it. Then your worker improves luxuries, which you also sell, and can use to purchase a settler or another worker (or a military unit if that's needed, or whatever).

guinsoo, interesting comments. I have been under the illusion that liberty was the preferred choice of nearly all games played. This doesn't seem the case. Which is your preferred path through the policy trees? Does your choice vary a lot for each game?

I say :

Go for free settler if you want to expand pre-NC. Go for free worker if you want to go OCC for a while(building NC and maybe another wonder).

Settlers aren't free but workers are when you start close from cs and AIs. This can affect your decision too.

guinsoo, interesting comments. I have been under the illusion that liberty was the preferred choice of nearly all games played. This doesn't seem the case. Which is your preferred path through the policy trees? Does your choice vary a lot for each game?

listen, if you want to play liberty play as france. build a monument. the rest is easy.

I think Tradition is generally considered the easiest/safest path for player vs AI games. Liberty is unquestionably more common in multiplayer, where you cannot sell luxes or GPT, and thus the free worker and settler become much stronger. Liberty is for sure however considered a very viable strategy.

Most of my games are Tradition, but I play a lot of Babylon, Siam, Korea, Inca, etc. I like civs that mesh well with the Tradition playstyle. On the other side of the coin, I do sometimes play Maya, Ethiopia, or Arabia and go Liberty with a lot of cities. But I'm definitely more comfortable with tradition. I almost always go 5 tradition, dump excess policies in either Patronage, Commerce, or Honor (depending on map and intended victory type) while waiting for Rationalism. Then Order, Autocracy, or Freedom depending on intended victory type.

But, I'm a pretty formulaic player, and I usually go either for science wins, or science-dressed-as-domination wins where I have bombers and they have musketeers.

Vilepilot, I will definitely try France at one point Thanks for the advice. Guinsoo, according to the game Tradition is for small empires. This is what put me off this choice of policy as I find that if i stay small and don't expand I quickly get wiped out. Also I do like to fill up as much of the map as i can with my cities. So I choose liberty normally. I play as Egypt as a rule, as the burial tomb helps to negate the unhappiness I find it hard to deal with. Maybe Egypt is not ideal for the liberty tree. I don't honestly know. I like to play for a domination victory, which again I suppose is not ideal for Egypt. Basically I think I should choose the correct civs and policies for the domination vc I prefer. I just find it a little difficult to collectively group all aspects of the game together and make the right choices. I suppose this is what makes the game so entertaining, having multiple choices which lead in different directions. I am definitely gonna try tradition though,, as I don't play multi- player. I generally play on King now, and find that if I expand fairly vigorously I tend to edge into the lead as the game progresses, whereas if i stay with a small empire I slip down the pecking order. This is probably due to my limitations as a player in this complex game, as I don't fully understand how small empires can progress nicely (although I know they can do). Thanks again for the advice.
Kev.

Vilepilot, I will definitely try France at one point Thanks for the advice. Guinsoo, according to the game Tradition is for small empires. This is what put me off this choice of policy as I find that if i stay small and don't expand I quickly get wiped out. Also I do like to fill up as much of the map as i can with my cities. So I choose liberty normally. I play as Egypt as a rule, as the burial tomb helps to negate the unhappiness I find it hard to deal with. Maybe Egypt is not ideal for the liberty tree. I don't honestly know. I like to play for a domination victory, which again I suppose is not ideal for Egypt. Basically I think I should choose the correct civs and policies for the domination vc I prefer. I just find it a little difficult to collectively group all aspects of the game together and make the right choices. I suppose this is what makes the game so entertaining, having multiple choices which lead in different directions. I am definitely gonna try tradition though,, as I don't play multi- player. I generally play on King now, and find that if I expand fairly vigorously I tend to edge into the lead as the game progresses, whereas if i stay with a small empire I slip down the pecking order. This is probably due to my limitations as a player in this complex game, as I don't fully understand how small empires can progress nicely (although I know they can do). Thanks again for the advice.
Kev.

Give into the dark side. Betray your country. Play France. Take liberty. Spam settlers.

Vilepilot, I will definitely try France at one point Thanks for the advice. Guinsoo, according to the game Tradition is for small empires.

Liberty proposes to make expansion quicker, but the game displaced the free settler one level deeper with the obvious intention of preventing quick expansion… so it's no surprise it's a weak tree.

If your capital is in a high-production area, you can take Tradition, switch to hammer tiles early and count on those free food policies to come online right after you finish churning out settlers, thereby bouncing back on missed pop growth and expanding just as quickly as with Liberty.

Downstream, the culture-cost-discount can be the most crippling thing missed by not taking Liberty, but even then I'd rather have a strong capital than anything else. A strong capital that can knock out wonders and units that serve the whole empire is what Tradition offers and is the reason it is semi-vital on higher difficulty levels.

For diety games I always start by opening Tradition, then Liberty, then I go for the first tradition policy on the left while building ToA. Even if I dont hit a culture ruin the pace is usually right on time for ToA. Tradtion's 15% growth plus ToA's 15% = Baby Boomers!

Top Bottom