Lieberman for Homeland Security?

Mauer

Pompous Noble
It's a political rumor with a twist. In fact, several twists, turns and flips.
It's a scenario that runs from Washington, D.C., to Danbury City Hall. From the Department of Homeland Security to the Connecticut state Senate.

It has local Republicans buzzing, e-mails flying and lukewarm denials rolling off the tongues of intrigued politicians.

And it's too good not to share.

It goes something like this:

Connecticut Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, a Democrat, could be named secretary of the Department of the Homeland Security, a department he helped to create.

This would leave an open U.S. Senate seat. The buzz is that Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell would name U.S. Rep. Nancy Johnson, R-5th Dist., to fill out Lieberman's Senate term.

That would leave an open U.S. House seat. A special election would be held, and observers are licking their chops over a possible free-for-all among local up-and-coming pols.
article

Just a rumor apparently, but one worth mentioning I think.

How can we expect a Jew to defend out Christian nation?

Maybe he isn't narrow-minded and condescending and doesn't consider the US as a Christian nation, but as a free nation with a majority of Christians.

Hopefully not. I really don't like him. He's too wishy washy.

Seems like a good idea to me, I'll *possibly* give up a house seat in return of a senate seat.

How many people here actually believe whoever is appointed to the post will matter?

Well, with a democrat at the post, although a moderate, some things are more than likely to come as points of disagreement between him and the White House.

Sims2789 said:
How can we expect a Jew to defend out Christian nation?
Most Republicans aren't anti-semites, Sims. The only concern with this theory would be how well he could tow the line, having the Secratary of Homeland Security resign would be a major blow to the president's credibility.

This is all new news to me. I know Ill be hearing about this in my local newspaper :D. Eventhough Lieberman is not in my senate district. It would be good to see him in the Department of Homeland Security :).

The Republicans would lose the Senate seat in the 2006 elections. But that means that the Republicans will still have 56 rather than 55 for this Congress.

The Democrats are poised to lose at least three more seats in 2006; I would urge them to enjoy 44 while they still have them.

SeleucusNicator said:
The Republicans would lose the Senate seat in the 2006 elections. But that means that the Republicans will still have 56 rather than 55 for this Congress.

The Democrats are poised to lose at least three more seats in 2006; I would urge them to enjoy 44 while they still have them.
How do you know that the Democrats would lose more seats in 2006? Is it a prediction? :hmm:

I think hes pointing to three senators who are fairly unpopular and may have a strong challenger.

If Tom Daschle could be defeated, you never know about anyone else o.o

CivGeneral said:
How do you know that the Democrats would lose more seats in 2006? Is it a prediction? :hmm:

There are three seats that are very vulerable and almost certainly gone given recent trends.

That said, there is one vulnerable Republican seat.

Actually, upon looking up the 2006 Senate races, the Democrats are in a lot more trouble than I figured.

There are vulnerable Democratic incumbants in the following states:

Florida
Michigan
Minnesota
Nebraska
North Dakota
Washington

In all of these cases, you either have an unpopular Senator, a Senator who won by very slim margins in their last race, or a very Republican state; I would say right now that the Nebraska Democrat is almost certainly gone, the North Dakotan probably too.

Meanwhile, the Republicans only have three potentially vulnerable seats: in Penn, Rhode Island, and Virginia. Virginia isn't really vulnerable; it is a safely Republican state. It would be close if a high-profile Democrat ran, but probably not close enough. In Rhode Island, the Dems will probably be able to pick a seat up, either by defeating Chafee or forcing her to switch parties. In Pennslyvania, you have a very conservative Senator in a state that voted for both Gore and Kerry, but one who has also been re-elected twice, and where a less conservative Republican was re-elected in 2004 despite Bush losing the state.

The Republicans have a very good shot at 60 seats in 2006, and therefore the ability to do anything they please.

Top Bottom