Live stream "Covert Ops: a Closer Look" Thursday, Sept 11 at 2pm EST

Right, thanks.

Some random data from elsewhere in the stream:

Cognition unlocks the Neurolab building, Holosuite building, Academy tile improvement
Collaborative Thought unlocks the Precog Project wonder: +2 Culture. +2 Health,+ 15% Combat Strength against military units in friendly territory

It was also +1% City Strength and hit points rather than +1

Did anyone notice that in one screenshot he had positive health and positive energy but he got a notice next to the resources that said he was above the number of units he can maintain (his colony could only support 15 units) so he got a production penalty. So it seems that there is a cap on number of units that your colony can support that is independent of health or energy. If you go above that cap, you get a penalty to production.

Not Surprising, it was there in CivV too.

I've never been a fan of Espionage in any civ game really, but this looks pretty interesting I have to say.

This looks rad as hell. I'm surprised it was only moderate difficulty to flip a city vs. setting off a dirty bomb or worm strike. Since that gives you the city rather than just wrecking the joint I'd think it'd be tougher to do. I understand that chance to succed goes down on higher difficulty I'm just wondering about city flipping vs. the other level 5 actions.

This looks rad as hell. I'm surprised it was only moderate difficulty to flip a city vs. setting off a dirty bomb or worm strike. Since that gives you the city rather than just wrecking the joint I'd think it'd be tougher to do. I understand that chance to succed goes down on higher difficulty I'm just wondering about city flipping vs. the other level 5 actions.

This was extremely weird. It doesnt make any sense to have only "easy" and "moderate" operations. I although dont know if ARC speciality or some wonders/buildings affects this. It might also be that if the city has some anti-spy buildings or counter spy these operations would become "hard".

It was also interesting to notice that there was info in one of the cities called "local health". Would this mean that there is local health that has an effect to population growth and universal health that affects culture/science and possibly other things.

This was extremely weird. It doesnt make any sense to have only "easy" and "moderate" operations.

I although dont know if ARC speciality or some wonders/buildings affects this. It might also be that if the city has some anti-spy buildings or counter spy these operations would become "hard".

ARC ability only affects how fast the actions are and how much Intrigue you get

I'd guess the actions difficulty is affected by

Spy level
Support from home
Resistance here (counterspies)

This looks like the most interesting espionage-system in Civ ever. I'm looking forward to this more and more. Still haven't found anything I didn't like.

However, most awesome thing so far has to be that music they were playing before the live stream started. If that's game music I'll just keep the game running 24/7 to listen to the music, it was so beautiful. :)

I've never been a fan of Espionage in any civ game really, but this looks pretty interesting I have to say.
I agree on first part of your sentence, and disagree on second. This is a first Stream were I actually did not like the information. But it is what it is, part of a game like it or not.

It looks like the difficulty of the operation is secondary; the main obstacle will be building up five levels of intrigue. In this video there was essentially no opposition (one opponent still hadn't even built a Spy Agency yet), but in a real game against a high-level opponent, there are a lot of countermeasures to overcome. I expect it's going to be very difficult to reach level 5.

Just picturing a Xeno-Titan defecting to the enemy... I don't care if there's only a 0.01% chance of this happening just let there be a chance and I will buy every game Firaxis make for the next decade.

Sooo Pete.... Does Sid know youve been "Borrowing" his toys?

Project stealth fighter is probably older than Pete is! :D

I don't thin it will function with Affinity specific units, at least if you don't have the same Affinity.

I don't thin it will function with Affinity specific units, at least if you don't have the same Affinity.

Space 'Merica's propaganda makes even genetically programmed monsters and hivemind super computers shed a tear in the name of freedom.

They said that the units you get are based on class of units, not specific units, and will automatically be of your affinity, with your same upgrades.

yes, but it can't mean that a Xeno-Titan would be converted to Lev Destroyer

Now picturing a xeno-titan pressed into a Lev-Destroyer crew...

"For Christ's sake Spleebonks keep your head down they'll see us coming!!!!"

"And stop drooling acid all over Ramirez, he retires tomorrow!"

Sooo Pete.... Does Sid know youve been "Borrowing" his toys?

Project stealth fighter is probably older than Pete is! :D
MicroProse's F-19 Stealth Fighter is from 1988 or so.

As for the difficulty of operations, I'm guessing those we've seen are mainly the base difficulty. Should be safe to say special buildings and, obviously, counter-intelligence agents would make things harder.

I was kind of disappointed they didn't show whether covert ops have any use when it comes to independent stations.

We have some info on the Headquarters's stats from this video (2:58 in):

3 Production :c5production:
4 Energy :c5gold:
2 Beakers :c5science:
1 Culture :c5culture:
6 Defense :c5strength:

Sooo Pete.... Does Sid know youve been "Borrowing" his toys? Project stealth fighter is probably older than Pete is! :D
Judging by the date of his education listed on LinkedIn, Pete would have been about 10 years old in 1988.

I think the Headquarters is like the Capitol in Civ. Just the central governmental building.
Palace, yes.

Top Bottom