Lore Locations

Vehem

Modmod Monkey
I recently pondered over on the FF thread about adding some new Unique Features (similar to Mirror of Heaven, Odio's Prison etc), so the first step is to ensure I get the lore right for any that are mentioned in canon (I may add some non-canonical locations too).

The first one I'd like to tackle is the site upon which the compact was signed - "Seven Firs". Is there a reason this site was chosen, is there any lasting significance to any of the current religions/civs, what would be the relevance to characters such as Basium, Cassiel etc?

The next is Bradeline's Well - which the only lore I can find for indicates it to be a "gate to the underworld" under the protection of the Elohim and that there was once a character named Bradeline who may have summoned Meshabber at some point. Does anyone know anymore?

Are there other places of note that could be represented as a specific location in-game (as opposed to a larger region such as might be the site for one of the scenarios)?

Seven Firs? For some reason I was thinking it was the Twelve Pines. Looking it up in the txet file I see if referred to as both the Seven Firs and the Seven Pines (in different entries), but Twelve Pines isn't there.

I'm not sure why the location for the site was chosen. It should be noted, however, that the trees themselves didn't exist at the time; they grew as a sign of the compact, similar to how the Godslayer itself was formed. A symbol of each of the gods was placed here. It is sacred to many (all?) gods, but Junil has devoted himself to keeping it safe. I believe that Sucellus (who may have been the one to make the trees grow to mark the site) also entrusted guarding it to the Elohim.

Basum and Cassiel were there during the negotiations, but they left before it was signed. Thus, the pines themselves didn't exist yet. I don't know if either cinsiders it particularly important. They would just view it as the plae where the gods made a big mistake.

The Pines (or Firs?) themselves were removed from Creation (Presumably taken to Junil's Heaven?) after Sphenor defended them from the Svartalfar using the Sword that was a sign of Junil.

I don;t really know anything about Brandaline's Well either, unless perchance that is the same passage that the Once Elves used to Escape Lorath's empire in the underworld, and which Rathus Denmora used to enter it.

I was planning to add some lore-specific unique features in my modmod too, including the Twelve Pines. I was thinking I would make it spawn a "Seal of the Compact" "dummy unit," which would be a 0 str, immobile, non-living unit that starts with 20 equipment promotions, each a powerful Item sacred to one of the gods. Alternately, I might makde events tied to this feature that let you try to steal a piece of equipment, with possible dangerous consequences.

I was also thinking I'd include the Blair of Lacuna (even though I suspect it might be in a different dimension) where Ceridwen hid Os-Gabella and where Alecis and Flauros were raised. I was thinking it would act like a citadel and provide Dimensional Mana.

I was also thinking I'd include the unique features added in Orbi modmod, like the Gate to the Underdark. I'm also planning to improve existing unique features, usually by making them provide mana.

The Crater in Braduk the Burnign could be a good unique feature, if it weren't for the fact tat is should always be in the Clan's first city. I've considered making it a unique feature that is automatically placed in the Clan Capital. It would probably grant fire mana and allow a spell that lets the orks sacrifice captured humans, elves, etc., to Bhall in order to restore their peace treaty with the barbarian state.

The next is Bradeline's Well - which the only lore I can find for indicates it to be a "gate to the underworld" under the protection of the Elohim and that there was once a character named Bradeline who may have summoned Meshabber at some point. Does anyone know anymore?
All I know about this is that it was intended to be an entryway to hell when hell was to be a seperate map. It would be cool to add; most of the landmarks are revealed when Kael adds them (and I think some he might be making up on the spot based on cool pictures he's found or features he's just added, like Odio's prison.)

I'm not sure why the location for the site was chosen. It should be noted, however, that the trees themselves didn't exist at the time; they grew as a sign of the compact, similar to how the Godslayer itself was formed. A symbol of each of the gods was placed here. It is sacred to many (all?) gods, but Junil has devoted himself to keeping it safe. I believe that Sucellus (who may have been the one to make the trees grow to mark the site) also entrusted guarding it to the Elohim.

Trees are known to live thousands of years, so it's possible that he planted them as seedlings then and guarded them from bieng cut down. He could even have given the trees lengthened lifespans, and trees already have a long lifespan.

(and I think some he might be making up on the spot based on cool pictures he's found ....)

I had similar plans myself :D

MagisterCultuum said:
Seven Firs? For some reason I was thinking it was the Twelve Pines. Looking it up in the txet file I see if referred to as both the Seven Firs and the Seven Pines (in different entries), but Twelve Pines isn't there.

See - I had Seven Pines in mind too, but then looks it up in the early design doc and saw Seven Firs...

The whole "being removed from creation" part may be a problem, though if the Sphener/Svaltafar conflict took place in the Age of Rebirth (which I assume it must have), it could actually make for an interesting quest (along the lines of "Destroy the Pyre").

Nikis-Knight said:
All I know about this is that it was intended to be an entryway to hell when hell was to be a seperate map. It would be cool to add;

Ah - so the well is likely the place that Meshabber was called forth? Does anyone remember where that 'pedia entry is/was or have a copy of it if it's an extinct one?

The whole "being removed from creation" part may be a problem, though if the Sphener/Svaltafar conflict took place in the Age of Rebirth (which I assume it must have), it could actually make for an interesting quest (along the lines of "Destroy the Pyre").

Yeah, this event definitely happened well into the Age of Rebirth.

I was actually thinking a while back that I might make several heroes not able to ever be built, making them arise from events instead. Sphener would then only enter the game if someone tried to rob the Seven Pines, probably falling under the control of an Order civ that would be forced into war with whoever was robing the Sines.

I was thinking that I'd had to add a lot more religious heroes though or else it would be unreasonable.

This is the Closes refernce to Meshabber of Dis being summond:
Spoiler :
The smoke twisted randomly, as if caught in breeze that was impossible in the small summoning chamber. Kael knelt in a ring with the other students watching the mage in the center demonstrate the experiment in conjuration.

A figured formed in the smoke, an imp a little over 2 feet tall. His chest was soot black, and he grew lighter gray and hazy along his legs and arms, until his feet and hands were nothing but thin trails of smoke. The embers from the fire danced up into his body and whipped randomly around him, settling in his eyes, which floated lazily, and seperatly, around his forehead.

He glared at the students until Bradeline, the red robed mage, shouted "Zazim!"

The imp's ears folded back against his head at the sound of his name.

"Why do you bring me here?" The imp's voice popped like greasy meat in a hot pan.

"They will try to control the conversation, lead you where they want to go. Innocent at first, but it is a trap. Speak only of what you want from the creature, you did not summon it for idle conversation."

One of the imp's eyes remained fixed on Bradeline, while the other floated around his head going from student to student, looking for weakness. Kael was easily 10 years older than the rest of the students, and couldn't tell if the imp noticed this or not. Most of the other students paled and looked away at the imp's glare. A few returned the stare, their own fear overcome by their lust for power. Kael didn't react at all, and the imp's gaze passed quickly on to the next student.

After its examination of the room the imp dropped, placing his wraithlike hands on the stone floor. The fire brightened and the smoke flared out, momentarily obscuring the imp's form. From within the circle its scratchy voice could be heard speaking unholy words.

"The daft creature is attempting to summon more of its kin." Bradeline looked almost disappointed. "Most would attempt to flee, but both attempts will be blocked by the summoning circle you constructed. Its call can not penetrate the shell of sorcery, symbols and the enchanted powder."

Bradeline took a chain from his belt and held it toward the imp. He let go of the end, letting a copper medallion inscribed with a six pointed star swing down as he shouted the imp's name again. Bradeline was as much a performer as he was a conjurer. This time Zazim ignored him.

The powder was enchanted exactly as it should be, but it was not all silver as the spell required. The imp's call was heard, and in a gust of wind the ill-prepared powder was blown all over the surrounding shocked students. Bradeline didn't have much time for surprise, the newly formed greater demon that stood over the imp reached out and grabbed his throat.

The demon stood almost to the room's concave ceiling. He had the hooves of a goat, thick twisted legs, and the chest and arms of a massive gorilla. He had two human heads, one with its mouth sewn shut, constantly screaming behind its pursed lips, and the other looked to have had its eyes recently gouged out. Blood and ichor ran down this face and dripped onto the right side of the demon's chest. On one forearm the demon had almost a dozen battered gold rings.

"Command me now, blood trader!" The demon grinned. Bradeline had summoned him many times, and forced him to perform acts degrading even to demons. The mage raised the medallion ineffectually in front of the demon's face, the one with eyes, but the demon only laughed. He would have toyed with Bradeline longer, but the students began to scream and he realized he had more fun in store than just this one killing. With a squeeze, Bradeline's neck was broken and the demon threw the mage's body against the stone wall of the chamber. Then he turned on the students.

A boy, more full of ego than sense, began to recite a spell prohibited to students this young. He shot his hands out toward the demon as he finished the incantation. But he was not ready for a spell that complex, and the fire intended for the demon raced up the boy's arms instead. He fell screaming as the flames consumed his shoulders and head.

Another student, one that had looked away when Zazim glared at him, had his screams cut short as the imp leapt to his chest and climbed into his mouth. Kael watched the students face flush at the realization that he wouldn't live long enough to be killed by the two headed demon that was tearing into the other students. The student fell, choking and grabbed hold of Kael's drab brown acolyte robes. Kael ignored him, the only unmoving piece of the hellish room.

The room's single door was enchanted, only Bradeline or one of the academy's other instructors could open it. This was to prevent any creature that was summoned here from getting loose and threatening the school. It had seemed a reasonable precaution to the students when they had learned of it, but now as they beat on the chamber door they realized the limitations of the door's protection.

--The Tale of Saverous, Act II: Chapter 1

Top Bottom