MadDjinn's Deity LP - England (map selection)

MadDjinn

Deity
Ok so here we go!

Only votes on the youtube video itself will count.

Special setup this time -
The map start with the most votes will be the one I actually play. Leave a comment on the video with the map start number, as well as a 2ndary choice for breaking ties, and that's the map I'll play. * only votes on the video will count.

Settings - England/Continents
(all else normal)

Note - I will restart with a different map (next highest votes) under the following conditions:

Skilldorado is close (so an AI or I get it)
Fountain of Youth is close

If I am 100% isolated, I may keep playing the game. (will check back after the first video if people want it played out)

If I have an 'edge' start, far far far away (15 + tiles/cut off by water or mountains) from everyone else on the continent, I'll likely restart but might ask first.

The only choice here is which map, not the VC or any 'odd' restrictions. I might take suggestions, if they are useful for the game type. (so no 'fill Honour first' or must ignore X wonder/RA usage, etc)

Link to video.

Really looking forward to seeing this. I hope the map that gets played is one of those with marble and no river or sea resources, since those are basically the only kinds of starting locations I tend to get playing England. I think I voted for number seven, but should be interesting with any of the maps.

I'm currently trying to play an England game myself, so I'll most certainly keep an eye on this.
Will you play England as any other "normal" civ, or make good use of their naval advantage?

I gave my support on the You tube for #9 yesterday, but it looks like the bulk of votes is going to #10.
Are people just voting for #10 because it's a bit of a weird one?

I gave my support on the You tube for #9 yesterday, but it looks like the bulk of votes is going to #10.
Are people just voting for #10 because it's a bit of a weird one?

it's a 'tundra' start, which may be why people think it'll be harder. It won't be, especially after the harbour and seaport are up. Mid game (with Iron works) London will be a beastly food/gold/hammer city if placed correctly. (and Commerce. +3 hammers in that location + the mass gold coming from the resources working with the reduced rush costs will really help)

For others, it's likely that there's mostly water based resources, with minimal initial production, so it's a different set up, and likely worth an LP.

Personally I think it's one of the strongest starts in that group. It's also very likely a edge start (bottom corner of the map) so very unlikely to have early rush issues.

But you'll have initial growth and development issues, there will be a lot of catching up to do :D

So, you are going to move 2 tiles, right?

@MadDjinn: I understand your reasoning, but wouldn't tundra be very, very harsh on your growth in the early stages of the game? It only gives you one food, instead of the two food of grassland or one food and one production of plains. It's only slightly better than desert or snow.

Also, I know it's very dependant on the map, and of course it's your game so you can do with it as you please, but I'd really love to see you use Englands navy to your advantage, just to give less experienced players (like myself) any ideas on how to properly play a naval civlization.

EDIT: Why will you restart if El Dorado or the Fountain of Youth are close? Are those two natural wonders really that gamebreaking?
EDIT2: My vote goes for map 6, with 5 as my secondary vote.

EDIT: Why will you restart if El Dorado or the Fountain of Youth are close? Are those two natural wonders really that gamebreaking?
FoY is a game breaker with no competition. It's basically a free Notre Dame with privileges. Units 'visited' the FoY heal at double rate. Longbows are strong enough without being invincible. :)
But El Dorado, I think, depends on particular start. Given farmable and mineable land really early worker is a big bonus. If the land doesn't require one you can buy a settler and skip Collective rule to pick Representation as your third policy and to get one later settler for free. With three good city spots it very well might be a game breaker. But even with mediocre ones it's still strong.

What is your opinion is of the spot 2 hex south of where the settler is now? It appears that every bonus tile will fall within your 3rd ring and you would get to work more land tiles earlier relieving the pressure to produce so many work boats early.

This refers to the #10 start of course.

What is your opinion is of the spot 2 hex south of where the settler is now? It appears that every bonus tile will fall within your 3rd ring and you would get to work more land tiles earlier relieving the pressure to produce so many work boats early.

This refers to the #10 start of course.

I was thinking that the forst hex would be a good 'pass through' spot, but likely the one you're talking about is better.

2 deer within 2 hexes means a fast granary. Two 3 food/1 hammer spots is hard to beat in that start. Plus the sheep tile will help a lot as well. Getting early gold lux means I can skimp on the workboats for a bit as well.

this also means I leave the forest alone, adding to potential production.

What I'd likely do is to 2 move into the forest this turn, move the warrior again next turn to see if there's more fish/etc on the other side, then decide which of the 2 tiles to settle. With no forest in the 2nd spot, I could settle either location.

None of these maps look particularly bad. Map 4 is probably the most difficult - no immediate 3-food tiles, lowish production to start, Masonry and Sailing lux's, less likely to be isolated, less likely to have iron. So Map 4 would be my vote. Map 10 will be too easy for you, particularly if you have a local source of iron for frigates.

None of these maps look particularly bad. Map 4 is probably the most difficult - no immediate 3-food tiles, lowish production to start, Masonry and Sailing lux's, less likely to be isolated, less likely to have iron. So Map 4 would be my vote. Map 10 will be too easy for you, particularly if you have a local source of iron for frigates.

yeah, I'm not sure why ppl think #10 might be hard. A few tundra tiles won't slow down that start.

The problem with England's naval UA and UU is that having a strong navy in Civ 5 isn't just like bringing a gun to a knife fight, but bringing a gun to a knife fight where every single one of your opponents is trying to stab each other with the hilts.

Its quite a fine trait in actuality, its just you tend not to notice it as naval war is pretty broken.

None of these maps look particularly bad

map 12 might be somewhat of a challenge since the mining luxuries are mitigated by only having two silver iirc. that one could prove a bit of a challenge too

map 10 is ridiculous tho

Top Bottom