Resource icon

MapTweaker Utility (beta) - Copy/Paste/Resize Bix Files! 2016-10-05

Seems like you didn't extract a downloaded archive - or even didn't download it. It contains 2 files you're missing and asking about. FreeImage.dll you can find on the Internet (I did).

Can someone please reupload FreeImage.dll?

*EDIT* Figured it out. But what does one do with the selections? And how do I resize the land, not just the 'canvas'?

To resize the land just use the default map editor.
The Firaxis editor cannot perform all the resizing functions that MapTweaker does. OTOH every discussion I'm aware of points out problems doing anything with MapTweaker beyond resizing maps.

But what does one do with the selections? And how do I resize the land, not just the 'canvas'?
Cut & paste terrain onto the new area. Or "paint" the terrain just as you would in the Firaxis editor.

Agreed, but TRex asked how to just resize the land and not the overall map, and for that the only way I know of is to do it by hand, tile by tile. But as we've already established, I am an old-fashioned, stubborn old goat that prefers the tedious long way to the short way. ;)

The only thing I've ever used MapTweaker for is overall map adjustment, so I haven't a clue if the other features are buggy.

... and there is no single utility that will rescale a biq afaik. In my own experience trying to convert, rescale & reconvert is unsatisfactory:
A lot of the jaggedness of the coastline is an artifact of the resizing process. ... We negotiated an appropriate cropping of Singer’s world map, used MapTweaker and a graphics editing program to translate it into a bitmap, which was enlarged to the map-size SoG wanted, then run through BMP2BIC.

... Since in this process one pixel/tile becomes several, one ends up with jagged coastlines, among other artifacts.

The only way I know of to get a good biq/map at a different scale is to make one from scratch then import the rules from the old one. Which means placing the start locations, units, resources, etc. on the new map one by one.

Oh common why do I always have to be the lone soul getting the most ridiculous fails? It says it cant find my civilization3.exe.

THERE IS NO CIVILIZATION3.EXE IN MY FOLDER aseo;tiashe;otlaiejrlak5rj;aoe5h;a

Update:

Sorry for the rant. I had to do my thing to make it work. I don't have a native civilization3.exe as I have steam's complete edition, so I had to find me one. Also for those of you in the future doing this make sure you take the DLL from the 'Dist' folder and put it in 'system' like they mentioned in the download. I just thought it was the whole folder and it took me a while to realize that.

I've been wanting to copy and paste my map for 5 hours and a half now, and I'm exhausted, but after a small test it was all worth it. This is the right tool. Thanks!

Oh common why do I always have to be the lone soul getting the most ridiculous fails? It says it cant find my civilization3.exe.

THERE IS NO CIVILIZATION3.EXE IN MY FOLDER aseo;tiashe;otlaiejrlak5rj;aoe5h;a

Update:

Sorry for the rant. I had to do my thing to make it work. I don't have a native civilization3.exe as I have steam's complete edition, so I had to find me one. Also for those of you in the future doing this make sure you take the DLL from the 'Dist' folder and put it in 'system' like they mentioned in the download. I just thought it was the whole folder and it took me a while to realize that.

I've been wanting to copy and paste my map for 5 hours and a half now, and I'm exhausted, but after a small test it was all worth it. This is the right tool. Thanks!
Care to share?

Got the same problem, Civ3complete from steam. No civilization3.exe
So how did you do it?

Followed the steps, including extracting the required files to folder - though I am not 100% sure if in windows 10 the files are indeed in the right place).
I can open the Tweaker but upon opening the BIQ it tells me I got the wrong format (BIQ is not compressed). Incidently, Windows 10 is proving very resilient to my will of returning to Civ3...

Could anyone please take a peek? I guess it must be something basic I got wrong.

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.BadImageFormatException: Es wurde versucht, eine Datei mit einem falschen Format zu laden. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
bei DrAm.CoreBitmaps.getBitmapFromPCX(String iFileName)
bei DrAm.CoreBitmaps.loadBitmaps(String[] sRootArtPath, Int32 NoOfResources, Boolean IgnoreNulls)
bei DrAm.FormMainMapBase.initBase()
bei DrAm.FEditor..ctor(String sFileName)
bei DrAm.FMapMakerMain.loadEditor(String sFilename)
bei DrAm.FMapMakerMain.handleMenuItems(Int32 lIndex)
bei DrAm.FMapMakerMain.toolBar_ButtonClick(Object sender, ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.OnButtonClick(ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.9148 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
MapTweaker
Assembly-Version: 1.0.1478.22315.
Win32-Version: 1.0.1478.22315.
CodeBase: file:///D:/0_SYSTEM/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid%20Meier's%20Civilization%20III%20Complete/MapTweaker.exe.
System
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.9147 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Drawing
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.9136 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly-Version: 8.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 8.0.50727.9136 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
kygqsbts
Assembly-Version: 1.0.1478.22315.
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.9147 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
mscorlib.resources
Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.9148 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100).
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) d er jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

Followed the steps, including extracting the required files to folder - though I am not 100% sure if in windows 10 the files are indeed in the right place).
I can open the Tweaker but upon opening the BIQ it tells me I got the wrong format (BIQ is not compressed). Incidently, Windows 10 is proving very resilient to my will of returning to Civ3...

Could anyone please take a peek? I guess it must be something basic I got wrong.
It's a shame you had to wait 2 years for this, but as I had the same problem, I remembered this program worked fine on my old Windows 7 laptop from 10 years ago.

After finally figuring out a way inside a password I had long forgotten, I managed to get a wave of nostalgia as well as the MapTweaker. After transferring those files to my Windows 10, I found out those worked.

The program is the same, but it turns out the FreeImage.dll version is the culprit.

The file's from April 2013, and I don't know how to access the right file online so I'm just going to upload it here. Make sure it's in the same folder as your civ3 exe and MapTweaker and you're all set.

Top Bottom