Masters and Apprentices: A King Level Succession Game

You are the only other player so far interested in playing this succession game so if Prof. Garfield doesn't see a problem with that, this should be your turn.

I'll try to play my turns in the next couple of days. I'll try to have a look at the map tonight to get an idea of what is going on and then proceed from there. Thanks for letting me join in.

Yes, play when you get the chance. Never feel rushed to play a succession game; they are often stalled for quite some time.

Played my turns, other than what is said in my turn logs, I did a bunch of exploring with the Trieme and we seem to have started on a pretty large continent. I am not a big micromanage of which tiles my cities work (each turn), but I try to watch them when they grow. All of our cities are size 1 except Minsk which is working on Colossus and is size 2. 2 New cities will be founded soon bringing our empire to total of 7. We need to watch the barbarian horseman, but other than that, setting up to be a good game

2550 - Let St. Pete continue to produce another settler. Move settler just created by St. Pete to eventual new city at (101, 49), Switch Moscow production to Settler, Will work 1 more plains tile and then found a new city (maybe south) eventually. Leave Kiev alone for now (Also producing a settler)
2500 -
2450 - Monarchy - Trade (Revolution - Monarchy - We hit it perfectly)
2400 - RB settler in Moscow (56g) (Aztecs destroyed by Zulus)
2350 - Kiev and Moscow both build settler (I leave production still on settler). MOving Kiev settler to (109, 45) to take advantage of wheat and buffalo specials. I will use Moscow's settler to improve 1 more plains tile.
2300 - Minsk founded - begin colossus production
2250 -
2200 -
2150 - RB settler in St. Pete.
2100 - Moving new settler from St. Pete to (104, 42) for new city.
2050 - pop hut (horsemen) will use the newfound horseman to explore north and move our warrior back towards the other side of Moscow. Irrigation for Moscow complete - starting road
2000 - Smolensk founded - working wheat tile, producing settler.
1950 - with road completed on Moscow with settler, I am torn but going to move settler to (118, 48) to found new city. Pop hut with horseman - barbarian (1 horseman)
1900 - currency - pottery (no trade available of course) Barb horseman killed my horseman and moved 1 space away from our city; will watch him closely.
1850 -

By the way, I am in no way above criticism. I am here to improve my game and learn. Most of the time the way I play is rapid huge expansion, tech up quick while fighting technologically superior wars. I haven't won a launch game in years. Once I get my large emprie thriving and my adversaries are weak, I will generally begin going into me perfectionist mode and grow my empire really big really fast.

If we don't get any more players then I guess it's just the three of us playing. It would be nice if we could get someone else though.

I've been struggling with my laptop over the past couple weeks, so here are my belated remarks (using my old laptop).

I suggested starting a wonder in Moscow, not in just any city (sorry if that wasn't clear). My reasoning was that Moscow has high shield production but low food production, so it isn't very good at building (or supporting) setters. Minsk might have been better used to build settlers, though I don't think it is worth the shield loss to switch at this point.

I wouldn't have sent the trireme off exploring. I would have used it to carry settlers to city locations faster. A trireme is a rather expensive explorer, and it can't investigate huts or establish contact with other civilizations (unless it is also carrying a unit).

Other than these remarks, the gameplay looks good. I'm next if no one else joins, but I'll leave it for a little while to see if anyone else wants to join.

For the future, I suggest switching Moscow production to a trireme (trade is too far off to make it a caravan). I'd use the Moscow settler to build a canal at 108,58, and send the St. Petersburg settler to 118,48 -- but only because of the barbarian horseman. If the Moscow settler is sent to 118,48, make it travel on defensive terrain in order to give it a better chance at surviving a horseman's attack.

If either of the existing players objects, then we will stick with King level. I don't mind restarting the game at Deity level. I'm very busy at the moment and will likely be busy for a few weeks (I just started a teaching job) so if you want to move to Deity level feel free to start the new thread and start playing without me.

If you stay at King, you can play the next round of turns without me if you like.

I don't like deity level, it's just too tedious with the unhappiness management so no thanks.

(1) 1800 BC: Start sending trireme back to homeland in order to at least get a unit.
(2)1750 BC: Build Odessa. Switch Moscow to trireme.
(3) 1700 BC: Kiev settler. Rush Phalanx in Smolensk for 19 gold, due to threat of barb horseman. Move Minsk worker to coal.
(4) 1650 BC: ...
(5) 1600 BC: Build Sevastopol at canal location.
(6) 1550 BC: Barb horseman forced by ZOC to attack warrior on mountain, and is defeated. Smolensk Phalanx sent toward Minsk.
(7) 1500 BC: Pottery, begin Trade. St Petersburg settler. Build Tblisi. Science to 70%.
(8) 1450 BC: ...
(9) 1400 BC: Rush 5 shields in Smolensk for 11g, switch worker to buffalo.
(10) 1350 BC: Moscow produces trireme.

Attachments

• le_b1350.sav
    135.8 KB · Views: 198
Well, I see this thread is alive again. I will play my turns this weekend.

It appears the game was saved on different version than 2.42, as I can't load it on 2.42.
I can still load it on MGE.

I'd like to play, but also I find that the save is MGE and not 2.42.
As Lenin said, "What is to be done?"

Ok that saves me the problem of running 2.42 on a virtual 32bit machine.
I assume that it's standard MGE?
I have mine patched to work under 64 bit system and with the hostile AI removed, not sure if this is acceptable.

(1) 1350 BC: IPRB 6g settlers in Odessa.
(2) 1300 BC: Moved settler to 104,56 to pop a hut - horseback riding. Phalanx arrived at Minsk, not rehoming yet.
Population 200k
(3) 1250 BC: Boarded the boat with Moscow warriors, heading to 119,63 to pop huts there.
(4) 1200 BC: Smolensk builds settlers -> no change in production yet. Settler sent to 122,44 in order to build a city around there. 119,63 hut popped = 50g. IPRB Sevastopol & Tblisi settlers 6g each.
(5) 1150 BC: Moving triremes and exploring.
(6) 1100 BC: Trade discovered -> Writing. Sverdlovsk founded at 99, 55 - will work a whale and has 2 river tiles. Cities now building caravans: Moscow, Kiev, St. Pete. IPRB 6g caravan in Kiev. IPRB 13g settlers in Tblisi, 8g in Smolensk, 11g in Odessa. Tbilisi, Smolensk, Odessa and Sevastopol continue building settlers with the intention to build roads for vans. Switched production from Colossus to Marco's as it will be more useful. Hut popped at 123,69 - NONE Chariot - we're not alone. Sent it to explore inland and find out if that civ is on the same landmass.
(7) 1050 BC: Odessa builds settlers -> Van. IPRB Vans in: Kiev 13g, Moscow 8g, St. Pete 16g. IPRB Settler in Smolensk 8g.
(8) 1000 BC: Silk Van in Kiev -> sent to Moscow for now. IPRB Vans: St. Pete 13g, Moscow 8g. Only Zimbabwe demands Silk but since we have no contact with anyone yet, it's irrelevant, can be stored for use later or used for wonderbread.
(9) 975 BC: Silk in St. Pete and Moscow. Moscow Van sentry (109,57), St. Pete Van sent to Minsk to help build Marco.
(10) 950 BC: IPRB settlers in Sevastopol 8g, will use it to settle south. IPRB settlers: Smolensk 2g, Tblisi 4g. IPRB Vans: Kiev 4g, Moscow 8g, Odessa 2g. Met Persians. Neutral. They demand maps, given, offered peace, I accepted, they are receptive now. Ask to exchange knowledge: Gave horseback, trade and pottery, got iron working, warrior code and masonry -> worshipful, maps exchanged.

Persians have 5 cities, sadly none are quickly accessible by sea, we'll have to go around the 2x wheat peninsula to reach them.
Arbela (106, 76) is closest overland, 10 tiles almost directly south from Sevastopol.
If we move quickly we can easily cut them off from expanding north, there are 2 choke points (115, 77 and 106, 74) and our units are 2 turns away from landing there and blocking them off.
Besides they look like they are more interested in going south-west.
We have 71g in treasury, income 8g, discoveries 12 turns.
I realize trading techs has increased our research costs but once we get Marco, we should get all the useful techs available at this stage and focus more on early trade to offset low discovery rate.

Just in case: IPRB stands for incremental partial rush buy, vans=caravans.

Attachments

• le_b950.sav
    136.6 KB · Views: 179
I hope I'm not as stupid as I look.
Maybe someone can cue me when to play.

Turn order in a succession game is usually a little flexible, depending on availability. Besides, you didn't play in the first round. I'd say that you can play next if you are available, or you can wait for Nateums to play and then jump in after that.

Top Bottom