Masters and Apprentices: A King Level Succession Game

I'll try to look back over everything and play some turns at some point over this coming weekend. Glad to see we are still going on this, I hadn't checked in to here in a while.

Hey,

I took the liberty to join this succession game and played 10 turns. I tried to be a bit cautious to not get us into any problems.

Here are some notes :

(1) 925 B.C. : Sevastopol produced a settler and changed production to phalanx, built Yakutsk (118,42)
(2) 900 B.C. : some more exploring with the one trireme
(3) 875 B.C. : Trireme delivered warrior on hill to block persians , caravan arrived in Minsk to help build wonder + spent 12 gold to finish Marco Polo wonder in Minsk, some more exploring with the other trireme
(4) 850 B.C. : settler built in Smolensk, and changed production to a legion (because of the Persians), Woooot we have our Marco Polo wonder !, changed production in Minsk to a settler, had to move warrior since it was too close to the Persians, moving one of the triremes back to our other cities to pick up some settlers hopefully to colonize the area north-east of our warrior, Tiblisi built a settler, Vladivostok founded and set production to build a phalanx
(5) 825 B.C. : Novgorod founded (phalanx in production), fortified warrior on hill to block Persians,
(6) 800 B.C. : trireme still moving back while exploring with the other one and clearing up some black tiles with chariot
(7) 775 B.C. : caravan in Moscow built, changed production in Moscow to phalanx (because of Persians), Moscow caravan in sleep mode,
(8) 750 B.C. : discovered writing, selected the wheel for research (I could have picked feudalism, but with the Persians so close I figured the chariot might come in handy …), talked to the french and gave them trade and they are now receptive, most civs are icy or hostile … tried to talk to the zulus but they wanted 100 gold and I said no and they basically declared war lol (will leave this alone and let the next player deal with this .. don’t want to mess up the game … not sure if you want to contact the other civs or not ? ), cleared up more black tiles with chariot, trireme getting closer to pick up a settler and more exploring with the other trireme
(9) 725 B.C. : settler built in sverdlovsk and changed it for now to a phalanx (next player will have to look at this and see if you want another settler or let it finish the phalanx), popped a hut with chariot and found a horsemen (novgorod supports this unit so no persian cities between horsemen and novgorod which is good news )
(10) 700 B.C. : caravans in ST-Petersburg (beads for a persian city) and Kiev, Sevastopol built a phalanx and changed production to settler,

Not sure if you want that one trireme to continue exploring (the one down south-west), I would suggest to try and transport those caravans to a good Persian city and to build a few settlers as you see fit on the empty continent especially up north-east using the trireme
I would also suggest the next player might want to take a look at diplo with the other civs since we have Marco Polo and maybe we should consider starting another wonder somewhere ?? (we have plenty of caravans anyway)
Moscow has a lot of units it supports and 2 triremes among them... if there is going to be a change to republic at some point might have to look at that as well.

We have now 139 gold in 700 B.C. ...

Attachments

• le_b700.sav
    138.1 KB · Views: 211
Remarks for last turnset:

1. If you are going to contact other civilizations, spend your treasury down to below 50 gold first. That way, the civ you contact will demand a technology instead.

2. The Phalanx in Novgorod makes sense, due to the proximity of the Persians. I can also understand wanting a garrison in Moscow. I disagree, however, with building a legion in Smolensk. Legions are slow, so they take forever to get to your enemy (especially from Smolensk), and they are vulnerable to attack when sitting outside the enemy city before they attack.

If we are interested in going to war, let us build some barracks, and research polytheism for elephants.

3. DON'T TRADE WITH THE PERSIANS. They are quite close, and they are on the same continent that we are, so the payment won't be very good. We need to find a civ on another island, or at least build some cities on another island which could then get the offshore bonus when trading with the Persians.

4. If you send triremes out to explore, make sure they are carrying something, like a caravan, or settler, or 2 move unit to pop shoreline huts.

5. How did Moscow come to support 2 silk caravans? In any case, Moscow isn't really the best city as a caravan source (other than wonder building). It is small and has little trade, so it will give smaller delivery bonuses.

Are there others out there interested in playing?

I took up the reigns here for my first 15 turns, here's some notes on my progress:

- Used three caravans each to construct the Pyramids in Kiev and the Colossus in Minsk. The latter is about one growth point away from generating an unhappy citizen, though I'd recommend another military unit and possibly a temple in order to grow this city as much as possible.

- St. Petersburg is starting on the Great Wall; two of the AIs are going for the Hanging Gardens so it's up to you if you think you can sneak it away from them.

- Four new cities built by going overseas: Rostov, Krasnoyarsk (from a goodie hut settler), Riga, and Astrakhan. You may want to move the NONE settler (located south of Rostov) northwest to build on the river and whale. There's also a settler near Vladivostok who's itching to get established on the "Silk Island" to the SW.

- Technology progress began a little ho-hum with receiving the Wheel, but on my turn we also picked up Seafaring (Harbors and Sea Arrows in the Future). Literacy is near complete as well, following the track to Republic and all that good stuff.

- Began to put down some road connectivity on the grassland plus shield squares; I figured this was an easy way to improve cash flow and speed up caravan movement.

Attachments

• le_b325.sav
    139.8 KB · Views: 210
I'm also interested, I've been waiting for someone to pick up from where we last ended, but it was back in march and I almost lost hope.

It's your turn Professor, I'll play after you.

Hanging Gardens isn't essential at this level, and Great Wall isn't worthwhile in a normal game. I will stockpile caravans for Mike's Chapel, and for sending away to foreign Civilizations.

(0) 325 BC: Make a few changes. Switch St. Petersburg from GW to caravan; not worth tying up production to save a couple shields. Minsk production to warrior instead of Archer. Change a few city tiles. Spend gold from 161 down to 94.

(1) 300 BC: Zulus and Greeks sign Peace Treaty (and trade techs); Same with Egyptians and Persians. Barbarians near Astrakhan, Chariot kills itself against warrior. Smolensk silver caravan. Rush dip in Riga; will bribe barb Chariot and use it to hunt barb leader. Spend treasury down to 61 gold.

(2) 275 BC: Egyptian horseman appears out of nowhere and sneak attacks Krasnoyarsk, killing unit (unsure if it was horseman or legion, because the game started up on me while I was writing. Riga diplomat. Sevastopol Settler. Odessa Wine. Literacy, begin The Republic. Hut gives Mysticism. Barb chariot moved away from Riga, dip can't bribe it this turn; will send horseman to intercept. Barb legion appears near NONE settler and Chariot. Treasury spent down to 36 gold. Contact Sioux: Give Literacy, Wheel, Trade, Seafaring (up to Worshipful from Icy); Get Peace and maps. Contact Greeks: Give Iron Working, The Wheel, Mysticism, and get maps. Contact French: Get Peace, give Literacy, Seafaring, Monarchy, Map Making (essential for map exchange); get maps. Egyptians refuse to talk. Change plans: Will build Lighthouse to send trade units to French and Sioux.

(3) 250 BC: Egyptians Raze Krasnoyarsk, plunder 0 gold, take Literacy. Horseman attacks barb leader for 150 gold ransom. Non Chariot is defeated by Barb Legion (on hill; should have taken that into account).

(4) 225 BC: We are the happiest civ. Moscow Food. Bribe Barb chariot for 61 gold.

(5) 200 BC: ...

(6) 175 BC: Novgorod diplomat. Minsk beads. Kiev Hides. St Petersburg food. 4 caravans to St Petersburg for Lighthouse.

(7) 150 BC: Yakutsk silk St. Petersburg builds Lighthouse. Sverdlovsk beads. Built Kharkov.

(8) 125 BC: Tblisi settlers.

(9) 100 BC: Riga Settlers. The Republic, begin Polytheism. Was not offered the chance for a revolution. Next OEDO year 25 BC. Rehomed trireme to Vladivostok.

(10) 75 BC: Smolensk silver.

Notes:

The flashing settler is in my recommended city spot, though you can move it elsewhere if you like.

Our 2 triremes are destined for France and Siouxland. I recommend delivering the beads to Rheims and Orleans. Remember, you can increase the payout by putting all citizens to work on high trade squares just before the delivery, and move them back afterward.

We have Republic. If you want to switch, hold a revolution in 50 BC (next turn).

Attachments

• le_b75.sav
    140.8 KB · Views: 207
(1) 75 BC: Grozny found on the spot recommended by my predecessor. IPRB vans Minsk & Moscow 8g each, Sevastopol 4g, Tblisi 6g.

(2) 50 BC: Disorder in Novogrod, elvis employed. Vladivostok Wine. Why do we have so many military units? Republic will definitely not like that. Not one bit. IPRB trireme in Kharkov 19g. Some more IPRB here and there, mostly vans and settlers, gold down to 77. Nobody wants our silk... yet. Storing Yakutsk silk van in Sevastopol for the time being. Both diplomats go south - Egyptian Legion found, contact, they offer peace. Seafaring & Monarchy given, maps exchanged. They wanted republic but I thought not yet. They are on the same continent, about as much further west from Greeks, as Greeks are from Persians. 9 water tiles separates Egyptians from Sioux island. Rehomed Moscow Trireme to Riga in anticipation of republic. Revolution, lux slider to 60% to avoid disorder as much as possible.

(3) 25 BC: Persians and Egyptians declare war on each other. Moscow food van. Republic enacted. More than half the cities rebel. Adjusting sliders - 10 tax, 60 science, 30 lux. Discoveries every 7 turns, income 11. With lower lux, Minsk rebels,
might build temple there once enough gold is available then lower lux slider to 20. Riga and Kiev have no production due to unit support, Vladivostok only has one shield. Will have to rehome or disband some units altogether (city disband to contribute to production). Riga chariot will be rehomed to Astrakhan to balance shields. IPRB here and there, gold down to 49. Zulus offer peace, gave them literacy, trade and monarchy to exchange maps - their civ is between Persians and Greeks, so sadly on our continent again. Refreshed peace with French since diplomacy said we only had contact. Warriors disbanded in Minsk and St. Pete to contribute to vans and reduce support. Smolensk warriors also disbanded, Smolensk phalanx sent from Minsk back to its home city. Odessa will build salt or oil van. I'd rather have another trireme, switched production.

(4) 1 AD: Zulus & Greeks - war. French develop construction. They want to trade it for republic, I'll give it a though, don't really need it right now. After order was established in the cities that rebelled, discoveries are every 5 turns. This is the point were decisions have to be made regarding the scope of our civ. Do we expand further, aggressively absorbing other civs, or do we strengthen our borders, establish choke points and develop what we have? I'd opt for the latter, maybe build 4-5 more cities but that's it. I'll focus on trade anyway. I anticipate the French will soon demand silk, so will the Sioux. I'm moving silk vans both ways. Started building temple in Minsk.

(5) 10 AD: Egyptians switched to monarchy. Rostov warrior disbanded in the field. It's taking precious shields while being a very inefficient scout. Besides, after trading maps with 2 civs, there's little we don't know about the continent. Novogrod horsemen sent to Arbela region. Some more IPRB, gold down to 28.

(6) 20 AD: Egyptians dev mysticism, Persians mathematics. Settler in Rostov. Riga/Astrakhan chariot disbanded, added to trireme production. No IPRB this time, I want to rush build that temple in Minsk and lower lux.

(7) 30 AD: Zulu switch to monarchy. French capital moved to Lyons. Poly discovered -> Philosophy next. Rushed temple in Minsk for 50g. All workers moved to sea, Beads van delivered to Reims - 266g. After some IPRB, 214 left. Switching Riga to build phalanx. I fear the area around this city is too sparsely populated and barbs might pop out. We will have to build more cities here. Egyptians are researching philosophy. We will have it in the next turn if I change science slider to 80%. We can trade it for their mathematics and then go for astro to build Cope in Minsk. I suppose with colossus there already, it will become our SSC.

(8) 40 AD: Zulu capital moved to Hlobane. Sioux declare war on Egyptians. Philosophy discovered, then monotheism. Next in line is medicine. Persians are now hostile. I will leave them alone for now, they might demand techs I'm not willing to give. Extensive IPRB leaves our treasury at 38g. Decided to build Mike in St. Pete. Production is decent (5 shields), city is close to Moscow producing food vans. One already arrived. I will increase lux for a turn to trigger some WLTCD and get more population.

(9) 50 AD: Persian capital moved to Arbela. Interesting. It's close to our border so if they grow unruly, we can quickly seize it and that should set them back a little. Novogrod builds dye van, Smolensk - cloth. Sverdlovsk beads to Orleans = 216g. I built a cloth caravan in Smolensk but then realized the only city that demands it is on the same continent. It might be used to help build Mike or stashed for a future demand. 188g left after some IPRB but I'll leave the rest for the next player to spend. Trireme meant for Sioux is still 2-3 turns away from delivery but you might already want to involve it in your budget ;) I'd say 300g for each is possible since they have much more river tiles and specials around their cities compared to French and are also more distant. I decided to use that silver van for wonder bread; there is no demand for it at the moment and we have plenty of other commodities for trade.

(10) 60 AD: Zulus develop mathematics. This is nice, we don't need to query the hostile Persians to get it, Zulus are cordial. Yakutsk builds beads van, Moscow food. I sent some vans to Riga earlier, they travel over some unroaded lands but will eventually arrive ready to be sent to Sioux. More settlers are building roads that will create a route south. We need more triremes in that area but I still think that cities have to be built first, 116 64 and 116 72 seem to be likely sites. Also, Rostov settler is heading to 91, 71 to build a city on grass with 2 specials. Grozny also built a settler and I was planning to build a blocker city somewhere around 81, 75. Additionally, area north of Persian city of Antioch should be scouted soon with the diplomat, just to make sure they don't grow too far in that direction. I also suggest that the next player build Mike as soon as possible, maybe even sacrificing some vans to do so, then switch lux to 40% and grow. My ambitious plans were to build some roads with Riga settler and establish a city then build another settler in Riga and fill the other site in this portion of our continent. That should stop any barbs from appearing. Minsk is building another trireme to eventually establish a ship chain to France. With medicine, soon to be discovered, construction from tech exchange with the French, we only need to discover engineering to be able to research sanitation. With increasing trade, we should get math, astro, uni and theory of gravity in no time, then get science slider to zero and rush buy vans for a while. I would go in this direction to get a 20+ population in Minsk and start dishing out SSC greatness that will grant us discoveries every 1-2 turns, but those are far fetched plans, it's all up to the next player.

PS. One more important thing: I play with no hostile AI patch but if the next player is running classic MGE, then all other civs will turn hostile the next turn. Try to use this save for whatever diplomacy you wish to conduct as much as possible before next turn to get all the benefits from having friendly attitudes.

Attachments

• le_a60.sav
    141.7 KB · Views: 223
If there are no other players who want to participate I will do the next 10 turns again in the next few days.

This succession game is kinda cool btw !

My turns : (60 AD was only a very partial turn I think)

60 AD : I don’t use the hostile AI patch so I did diplo with both french and zulus and got contruction and mathematics in return for the republic,
70 AD : Greek capital switched to Thermopylae, while moving the diplo I ran into a eygptian horsemen and legion both had participated in combat since they were not at full health close to Arbela
80 AD : Zulus took Corinth, Persia builds HG, diplo expelled by Persians back in Moscow, Rbed a warrior in Grozny for 8 gold and a caravan in Astrakhan for 19 gold, founded Dnepropetrovsk (91,71), Caravans arrive in Little Bighorn from Kiev and Odessa and give us together 316 gold, a whole bunch of barbs appeared on the french continent .
90 AD : Medicine discovered, Rbed a settler in Rostov for 76 gold, Maikop founded (81,75)
100 AD : trouble ! Persians did a sneak attack and are at war with us now … I Rbed a crusader in Astrakhan and building another crusader in novgorod .. hopefully if we show some strength they will agree to peace again. (I have no idea why we have so few military units so far … ), was able to destroy a persian warrior with our horsemen near Arbela , changed Riga to horsemen
110 AD : Salt Caravan arrives in Lyons and gives us 200 gold, Rbed a phalanx in Dnepropetrovsk,
120 AD : Bad news .. Persians destroy our city of dneprop and take a tech and 8 gold L, however we are at peace again for now with the Persians (I wanted to continue the war but we have basically no units to fight .. we need more units to attack with ), several barbs near Riga, Rbed a phalanx in Astrakhan for 52 gold (persian cata still near us),
140 AD : popped a hut on the french continent with our silk caravan (still no demand for it) and it earned us 50 gold , Rbed Mike’s for 200 gold,
150 AD : Maikop destroyed by barbs (nothing I could do ), Rbed crusader in Grozny for about 70 gold, Kursk founded (116, 64), some good news .. captured a barb leader for 150 gold, founded Kuibyshev (86,62) , another caravan delivered in Lyons 144 gold,
160 AD : several cities are celebrating WLTCD, the trireme with dye car is for little bighorn unless you have a better idea, the settler in the trireme is for the island right above kuibyshev and I suggest to build a city on the grass tile

We are researching Astronomy now (copi) and we have 684 gold so plenty of gold to do something with ... .

Okay some suggestions … :
1) we need bigger cities (WLTCD seems like a good idea now since we have Mike’s)
2) we need more military units imo and especialy good attack units I suggest crusaders but I guess horsemen might do too for the barbs and to prepare for a possible future war against Persia
3) We can definitely build some more cities but don’t go without one def and one attack unit to defend the new city
4) One food car for copi when we start building it in a few turns hopefully and several other caravans see where you can deliver them or whether you want to use them for copi

Attachments

• le_a160.sav
    142.5 KB · Views: 202
We don't need more units, the idea was to use appeasement via techs and money from trade, since we already started trading.
I suppose this is a typical misunderstanding between players with different play styles - I disbanded several units because I kept peace and didn't need them.
Feel free to wage wars if that floats your boat, I just assumed it would be more beneficial to give some techs/cash and keep peace all the while building a trade empire.
If anything, instead of investing in military units, it's best to invest in diplomats and bribe cheap barb units possibly closer to enemy cities, to get NONE ones.
That way you have both the army you need and free shields to accumulate production without disorder due to units away from city.

I am definitely not a great player so your thinking is probably better .... I just like to protect my border cities a bit more especially with a hostile Persia bordering us.

Yes, now that we have a known threat, it is worthwhile to defend the cities near Persia, both from the Persians and from other wandering units that will be on this continent. When you don't have known threats, it is better to build lots of cities and run the risk of losing a couple of them, rather than building defenses everywhere.

We don't have a standing army because we weren't going on a conquest. We instead have more cities and trade routes and wonders, and less shield support to pay in Republic. By all means, if you want to go to war, suggest to the player before you that you'd like an army to use.

Hmm, interesting to see the progression here; I'm more used to playing on Deity where enacting Republic before Mike's Chapel would cause my civilization to crumble. Nice tech boost from trading overseas with the French there--I believe I'm up for the next ten?

End of Turn AD 160, 170

- Switched a few city tiles around for increased production.
- Rush purchased Caravan in Kharkow, switched to Settler (to bring irrigation and roads down from the river)
- Rush purchased Settler from Odessa, sent down to Vlad and later Minsk. I'm thinking any future celebration plans are going to require more food and developed squares. Also mines on Minsk's coal and Riga's wine would help counteract the Republic's production and support issues?
- Gave the Persians "Republic" to send their catapults home.

AD 190

- Zulus gain Polythesism
- Built two cities: Magnitogorsk (a great name) and Uralsk (placed as suggested to take advantage of the Silk).
- Settler moved next to St. Petersburg to break down the forest; it's holding up future irrigation on two cities.

AD 200

- Persians develop Construction
- A crazy idea forms: Taking the Silver Caravan from Kharkow to Tenochtitlan
- Two more 'vans heading towards the French

AD 230

- Kiev has WLTC Day due to a crappy Silk route with Kharkov, haha

AD 240

- Persians change to a Republican government
- Waiting until next turn to deliver caravan to Little Big Horn because Astronomy is nearly discovered.

AD 250

- Sending Smolenk silver to Novogrod

AD 260

- Selected University on the tech tree, Copernicus is building with 200 production onboard
- Crusaders in Riga and St. Petersburg if back-up / conquest force is needed
- No barbarians remaining near Grozny
- Kiev built temple due to unhappy citizen
- 3 Caravans near Odessa ready for shipping out overseas (Beads, Wine, and Hides)
- +160 gold from Little Big Horn Delivery

Attachments

• le_a260.sav
    143.2 KB · Views: 203
You realize Tenochtitlan is a Zulu city and on our continent as well?
Otherwise I can slowly see an empire emerging :)

You realize Tenochtitlan is a Zulu city and on our continent as well?
Otherwise I can slowly see an empire emerging :)

Yeah, making the Silver was something of a blunder pick; it had me looking at the Egyptians or Zulus as being some means to salvage it. I'll admit I'm not used to having many cities producing caravans without nearby demands in mind.

In terms of the empire spreading, another player might want to settle the island and almost-island on the way to the Sioux (I dunno, at coordinates 138, 90 and 135, 83?). There's also a good spot at 124, 98 with a whale and corn; it could be nice if we ever decide to conquer and relocate some of the Sioux cities in the far future.

In any case, with some island colonies in an eastern direction, trade with the (northern) Egyptians would start making sense; their cities should be larger than they appear by now.

It's Professor's turn if my math is right, I'm curious to see what a pro will do here.

(0) 260: Will divert Smolensk silver caravan to Minsk, and send another caravan to that city from Vladivostok as well. I don't want Minsk production tied up for 10 turns. Spend treasury from 666 gold to 337. Science to 0 so that I will have cash to make celebrations.

(1) 270: French develop Banking, begin GL. French Sneak Attack, Kill trireme! Vladivostok food. Sverdlovsk cloth. Moscow Hides to Rheims for 176 gold.

(2) 280: WLTCD in most cities. Kharkov Harbour. Astrakhan settler. Vladivostok wine (d) to Rheims for 200 gold. Didn't want to wait for city to grow due to war with French. Then, contact French and make peace. Put Rostov settler back into city so it can grow via WLTCD. Caravan into Minsk.

(3) 290: Kursk, Rostov, Yakutsk, St Petersburg Harbour. Kiev Hides. Caravan into Minsk. Build settler into Moscow for WLTCD growth.

(4) 300: Sverdlovsk, Sevastopol, harbour. Minsk builds Copernicus' Observatory. Moscow Hides. Build Kazan. Lux to 70%.

(5) 310: Kiev Aqueduct. Built Vologda.

(6) 320: Zulus build GL. Sioux change to Sun Tzu and nearly complete it, others make other changes. Kuibyshev harbour. Luxuries down to 50%.

(7) 330: Sioux build Sun Tzu. WLTCD cancelled in many places. Moscow Harbour. Luxuries down to 30%, science to 30%. Sevastopol silk (nd) to Chartres for 132 gold.

(8) 340: University, begin Feudalism. Contact Sioux, give them Republic when they demand it. Give Philosophy and University also. Attitude up to Neutral; give them Masonry in exchange for Feudalism. Science costs: 924; using "goal" on science advisor suggests Theology will be available next round. Kiev Hides (d) to Rheims for 400 gold. Vladivostok beads (nd) to Rheims for 124 gold.

(9) 350: Turns out Theology was NOT offered (should have looked it up properly), so began Sanitation. Novgorod harbour. Smolensk food. Minks Aqueduct. Kiev Cloth. Build Murmansk.

(10) 360: Sevastopol Coal. A handful of units left for the next player to move (that will be turn 0 for them). This turn's rush building also left to the next player.

Building Murmansk has triggered the Riot Factor. If we build additional cities, our
existing cities will become more unhappy (They'll start with fewer content citizens). I'll leave it to the next player to decide if more cities are worth it at this time.

For the future, I recommend getting Theology, building Bach's cathedral, and then celebrating to size 12. This will require buying aqueducts, some harbours, and maybe a few marketplaces or courthouses. An alternative option (which may be better) is to work on establishing a ship chain to a trading partner. I don't think that we have the resources to do both simultaneously, so I leave it to the next player to decide which to do (or if they want to do something else).

There is a trireme sailing towards the northern Egyptians; be sure to give them Republic ASAP so that they have a chance to switch before you get there.

A trireme with 2 hides is sailing towards the Sioux.

Minsk should celebrate with a Marketplace.

Remember: Navigation or Invention (or turn 200) will reduce caravan payouts by 50%; try to delay them until we get other useful techs.

Attachments

• le_a360.sav
    143.8 KB · Views: 217
Top Bottom