Math03: OCCC

No, the next player to post a 'got it' is up.

Mathias said:
We may have a chance at republic slingshot. In any case, we should get out of despotism asap.
Hm, maybe. We didn't start with alphabet, so that hurts our chances at the shot, but maybe the early Colossus will get us over that hump. Do we want to get into rep, though? I would think monarchy would be better. No WW, better unit support. Maybe our hope should be: trade our way up through poly, head for philo, take monarchy as our freebie. Or more likely: trade up through myst, head for philo, take poly as freebie, research monarchy.

Yeah, actually Monarchy could be good, considering corruption's not an issue. No armies, eh? :eek: Guess those MGLs will be rushing city improvements. ;)

You're right, Monarchy is probably better for us. We need to get writing next either way.

Rushing improvements => more time to make units. :)

I took notes on the responses to my turn.

So, are anybody going to play or what?

I'll take it, play tonight. Fifteen turns. Will the colossus be done by then? I guess the game is to maximize our single worker, and make contacts. Got to do a bit of stuff tonight, but I'll get this done before bed...

I think the colossus was due in 19. You might get it.

Absolutely nothing happened until 2710BC, when I spotted green borders, and a Roman warrior walked out of the fog. The Romans had Alphabet and were down Masonry, but we were 5 turns from Alpha, so I made no trade.

I didn't meet the green border dudes (the Aztecs) until 2590BC. They had Pottery and 35g and were down Masonry, which I deemed a good deal for us so I made the trade.

In 2510BC, Rome came up with Iron Working.

In 2430BC, we built Colossus. I did ok with it; we were 2 shields over, and that could have been 2 gold if I had built a road before mining at one point. So not perfect, but good enough.

After that, built a warrior. I set our worker to irrigate over the cow mine -- it'll finish just after we grow next, putting us at a nice even 4fpt growth in 5. No offense, BB, your mine got us the wonder faster, but I think now it's time for more growth. Then my turns ended. :)

We should build one more warrior, then another worker. The new worker should go chop and mine the game; the old worker can road to the silks when he's done irrigating. Then there's two ways for us to go.

The first is to build a granary with the chop, it should be done the turn we grow to size 6. We'll be at 5fpt and 8spt at size 6, which is a situation I never know what to do with: shield wasteful as a worker factory, food wasteful as anything else.

The second is to build a rax with the chop then do a 4-turn archer/worker factory for awhile, without the granary. (Should be possible because we'd build archer for 3 turns, then we get 10s on growth, so that'll be the worker.)

Those are my ideas, hope they're useful. I think some careful thought is necessary to figure out what to do next. :crazyeye:

save

No offense, BB, your mine got us the wonder faster, but I think now it's time for more growth.

None taken... I'm a mine whore anyways. :p

Got it. I'll play tonight. Hopefully Durkz will be able to play tomorrow, then commodified can play on Sunday.

2350 BC (0)
IT: Warrior >> Worker

2310 BC (1)
Aztecs and Romans have met and traded
IT: Worker >> Warrior

2270 BC (2)
Worker to chop forest
Warrior steps to hut, disturbing barbarians
MM to get warrior done this turn with irrigation complete. No food will be wasted. (3+3+4+5+5=20)
IT: 1 barb warrior attacks: our warrior wins, but is red-lined
Warrior >> Granary

2230 BC (3)
Worker south to road toward dyes
Hut near Rome gives barbarians

2190 BC (4)
Exploring warrior attacks and is killed :(
Barb camp has appeared south of our city
Kill one barbarian
Worker retreats
IT: Forest cleared

2150 BC (5)
MM for growth in 2
Rome has picked up Masonry

2110 BC (6)
:sleep:

2070 BC (7)
:sleep:

2030 BC (8)
Kill barb, promote
Kill barb, disperse camp for 25 gold
IT: Granary >> Barracks
Remodel our cave
Aztecs begin Pyramids

1990 BC (9)
Rethink barracks, build worker first
IT: Worker >> Barracks

1950 BC (10)
New worker to hills

1910 BC (11)
Aztecs have The Wheel
IT: Barracks >> Archer

1870 BC (12)
switch prod. to curragh, trying not to waste so many shields
sci 50%, writing in 2

1830 BC (13)
sci 40%, writing due
IT: Dyes connected
Curragh >> Archer
Writing >> Code of Laws

1790 BC (14)
Rome has The Wheel

1750 BC (15)
Next!

I know the archer could be built this turn, but that would delay growth. Besides that, we are going to wind up wasting shields somewhere, and the mine will be done on the third turn, putting us at an even 10 shields per turn for the next archer. Keep us at +5 food until we run out of grassland.

Keep our science at max as long as we have gold in our treasury. We may soon meet another civ and get gold in trade, or we may clear another camp before our treasury is empty.

Looks good, Mathias, nice job. Next player can start a prebuild for MoM. Our lack of contacts kinda hurts, but nothing can be done. We appear to be in the middle of a kinda elongated continent, don't know if that's good or bad.

It's been almost 24hrs since the save was posted. Isn't anyone going to take it?

lurker's comment: Monarchy will seriously hurt your unit support capacity, since you'll want riders out soon after you get there and can't switch govt back again in 2 turns as china. The main point of going republic in OCC is the unit support, just like for the coastal need of the Colossus.

commodified said he wouldn't be able to play until tomorrow. Durkz should have picked it up today, or at least posted otherwise.

EDIT: Government Comparison

Monarchy:
support 4, 3 MP, +1 per unit = 16 gpt for 20 units
no WW, but also no cash rush

Republic:
support 3, no MP, +2 per unit = 34 gpt for 20 units
WW can be an issue, and may need lux slider to keep citizens happy

Trade bonus under Republic is offset by additional cost of unit support. I think Monarchy is best in the end, but Republic is good for us to get faster research to chivalry.

Inherited turn - looking good.

IT - zzz...

1@1725 BC - warrior exploring, curragh exploring.

2@1700 BC - archer-->archer. Send him exploring. I don't know if this research is sustainable... Aztecs now have Alphabet. Guess I should have taken 20 gold for it last turn.

3@1675 BC - We're at 10 spt!

4@1650 BC - archer-->archer. -7 gpt with 37 gold in the bank? Not looking good... until our exploring archer finds two barb huts!

5@1625 BC - The empty hut reveals disturbs 3 warriors. Luckily we also see an Aztec warrior/settler pair, so maybe the barbs will attack them. We grow to 8, necessitating turning lux up to 20%. CoL goes from ETA 7 turns to 8.

IT - That's strange, the barbs attack neither our archer nor the settler pair :hmm:

6@1600 BC - archer-->archer. Oops, I mismanaged last turn. Growing in 4 instead of 3 :blush:. I feel stupid just pumping out archers like this.

IT - barb attacks our archer. We lose a couple HP but promote.

7@1575 BC - Disperse the encampment, giving us breathing room for CoL. Romans now have CB.

8@1550 BC - We have 32 gold, -9 gpt, and CoL's coming in 5 turns. I decide to do wealth for 5 turns, which makes our research sustainable. I know this will be controversial, but I don't think we need tons and tons of archers right now. They're putting us in a gpt hole and rushing the Aztecs seems stupid.

9@1525 BC - zzz...

10@1500 BC - a barb hut gives us CB. Beijing grows. 5 fpt isn't yet sustainable.

11@1475 BC - zzz... I can turn research down without impacting CoL's ETA, which gives us more breathing room. Wealth-->archer.

12@1450 BC - MM research a bit more.

13@1425 BC - Archer-->temple. I figure it'll allow us to stay at 20% lux longer. CoL-->Philo in 19 @30%. 2 gpt.

14@1400 BC - Start moving some archers back home.

IT - Caesar demands writing! I tell him to shove it. He declares. They don't have Legions yet.

15@1375 BC - We grow. Now we're at 5 fpt. We'll grow in 4, then default to a hill or forest and grow in 5. So we'll be size 12 in 9 turns. Then we can mine the cow. We have some war happiness now--6 happy 4 sad. Our curragh spots a different landmass.

We can trade Writing to Montezuma for IW. I didn't during my turns, but what do people think? I think it's worth it. He's researching really slowly, so I doubt he'll be able to do much with it.

EDIT: Now the save's attached.

Looks good. I'd make the trade. How many archers do we have now?

Top Bottom