May 2024 Challenge - Reach For The Heavens

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo
GNjQBm5WUAEcm_u.jpeg

CHALLENGE 7: REACH FOR THE HEAVENS

Designed by Civilization streamer Potato McWhiskey, this event challenges you to lead the Khmer Empire to a Culture victory. Build sprawling cities that celebrate your faith in the Prasat temples, and drive cultural hegemony through your population's growth.

The Khmer's wondrous Angkor Wat temple complex is a magnet for visitors in modern-day Cambodia. As King Jayavarman VII, can you attract enough tourists to achieve this goal before June 18?

Game Parameters

Difficulty: Prince / Emperor
Victory: Culture Only
Speed: Standard
Player Leader: Jayavarman VII
Map Type: Wetlands
Map Size: Standard
RuleSet: Gathering Storm
Start Era: Classical
Resources: Standard
World Age: Standard
Start Position: Standard
Temperature: Standard
Rainfall: Standard
Sea Level: Standard

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny enough I just finished a full game as Khmer a couple weeks ago. A little disappointed that game I wasn't able to get super large cities.

Another random map. Khmer can be fun, sure, but I still feel these challenges should be putting everyone in the same spot and setup, rather than just be a "hey, let's all play the Khmer this month".
Yeah thats pretty bad, they're actively devolving their own product.
Could have been a nice challenge to compare yourself with friends.

Also, for the love of god let us choose the difficulty ourselves, I dont believe for a second that its hard to implement since they already let us pick two difficulties.

Yeah thats pretty bad, they're actively devolving their own product.
Could have been a nice challenge to compare yourself with friends.

Also, for the love of god let us choose the difficulty ourselves, I dont believe for a second that its hard to implement since they already let us pick two difficulties.
It appears that you can earn a badge for each difficulty level that you complete the challenge. Perhaps they limit the choice of difficulty because they don't want to make more badge art?

It appears that you can earn a badge for each difficulty level that you complete the challenge. Perhaps they limit the choice of difficulty because they don't want to make more badge art?

Honestly, I don't mind the limited choice in difficulty levels. If they stuck with Prince-only, that would have been bad, but even for the best players, Emperor at least give you something. And if it's easy, it's just an excuse to either aim for that earlier victory, or maybe they stick the challenges in a tougher spot, or worst case, you play with a little extra thematic way.

But yeah, the lack of it being an actual scenario, and just being a random map, just makes it less fun. Especially here, when I see it's Potato McWhiskey, like "oh, cool, I'm sure he'll show off on-stream sometime his run of it." And that might have been cool if he like gave some background on why he chose what he did, maybe what effort he put into picking things or setting up. But like given what it is, that seems like it will be 2 minutes of "oh, they asked me to pick a leader and settings, and I chose this."

Well problem with culture win you either win early or win never lol. On turn 300 turns started to be super slow so it seems i will either finish it fast or spend several days to finish it lol.
Started second game, this time atleast i got pretty nice starting point:

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0008.gif
    Civ6Screen0008.gif
    912.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
…was really expecting the previous challenge to be the last one and have a CIV 7 announcement 😭

Stop gap 😏

First Leader Pass, then these challenges. Looks like Civ VII (i.e. 7) is further away than civ fanatics believe. Soz.

Meanwhile, I am entertaining myself playing Zombie Apocalypse Civ VI 😁
20240514230808_1.jpg

Last edited:
Stop gap 😏

First Leader Pass, then these challenges. Looks like Civ VII (i.e. 7) is further along than civ fanatics believe. Soz.

Meanwhile, I am entertaining myself playing Zombie Apocalypse Civ VI 😁
View attachment 691282
Mere weeks ago you said Civ7 was in market research phase (which is ridiculous, btw) and now it's further along than people believe?

like Civ VII (i.e. 7) is further along than civ fanatics believe.
Thanks for clarifying btw. Roman numerals are hard for a poor civ fanatic. Btw, we should make sure to spell out that Civ VII/7 is Civilization VII/7.

Finally done this is so slow. I mean, i had top culture and top tourism from start and even got 3 free cities from sumeria, but still took too long. Anyone knows when you send rock bands, does it matter to who you send(like, do you need to send it to civs which are not dominated yet) or it does not matter.

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0013.gif
    Civ6Screen0013.gif
    831.4 KB · Views: 54
Anyone knows when you send rock bands, does it matter to who you send(like, do you need to send it to civs which are not dominated yet) or it does not matter.
You send Rock Bands to the Civ with the next highest culture. Here's a quick overview of Naturalists, Rock Bands and how the work with the tourism victory.

Top Bottom