MC from hut

zizzeus

Chieftain
Here's my new strategy: pop Metal Casting from a hut. That's like popping the Oracle right there!

Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

I've never popped anything better than BW from a hut.

What settings were you playing that there was still a hut on turn 96? It doesn't look like more than one landmass in the screenshot, but maybe it's unclear.

I've popped astro on secondary landmasses. It's like winning liberalism, twice.

Yeah, I've got astro on terra maps before too, but nothing this early, this big.

Settings are Immortal, Large, Fractal, random climate and sea level. I was sure I was isolated since I didn't meet anyone for 50 turns, but no. There are no fewer than 5 barb cities visible now, and the map has generated some interesting features, like this copper in the middle of a volcano.

Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

I've popped Astro once on Lonely Genghis. Only times that has happened to me. I also popped MC once.

Astro in a normal game. Try some lower level gauntlets. I've had trial starts popping all the way to optics, or music, or COL. Curiously, some of these games were abandonned due to too few settlers being popped. Its possible to pop too much tech too early.

on lower levels and marathorn, it may be better to pop large sum of gold than techs. I once got over 2000 gold w/ a bunch of settlers, and that let me deficit for a long time.

Best I got without visiting the New World on Terra is Iron Working.

That was a nice prize. Sadly, had to abandon that game.

§L¥ Gµ¥;9095572 said:
I stopped with the huts when the AI started with 2 scouts and 2 archers.

Same here! On higher levels, one has lower chance to pop a tech than the AI, especially when one begins with a warrior (slow and can pop furious villagers). It ends we are more ******ed by taking risks with huts. Back then, I used to always begin with a Hunting-type civilization so I can use scout right away...and the map setting always was Highlands due to its high number of huts. According to the attached pic , I experienced we can only get those tech under green circle. Of course, religion founding techs and Alphabet are excluded for obvious reasons as well middles ages techs. MC is a good tech poping but I prefered to pop writing, then mathematics: 50% more hammer from chopping early is too strong. :crazyeye: It is possible with Gilgamesh since it actually happened to me once...on a fractal map.

Now, by disabling Goody huts, I feel so relieved; I can play with any civilization and I figure out that the warrior is way tougher than the weakling scout. (With a woodman II promotion, a warrior can be as rapid as a scout). Moreover, strategies can be more "expectable", I mean if one decides to go to war early against an annoying civ and this annoying civ popped BW, one can feel frustrated. :mad:

Attachments

• techtree_original.jpg
    techtree_original.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 112
People disable huts becasue they think it helps the AI too much at higher levels.

I think that is kinda silly.

You should have saved it to pop Liberalism just for the lols.

I don't know if you can pop Liberalism, but it would be a funny strategy to try: Find yourself some huts early , put a few of your units around them, and whenever an AI units comes near the hut, declare war on them, kill the unit and keep the hut protected. See how long you can protect the hut and which techs (hopefully not maps) you can get out of them. Each one that gives a tech will be like a super-Oracle, and you'll need it since you'll get dogpiled into oblivion ;). You could also block access to them with strategically placed cities and never open borders, but you probably won't get good techs then since you'll never get up much research this way.

on lower levels and marathorn, it may be better to pop large sum of gold than techs. I once got over 2000 gold w/ a bunch of settlers, and that let me deficit for a long time
Yeh. Gotta finance the "built in" REX.

People disable huts becasue they think it helps the AI too much at higher levels.

I think that is kinda silly.
What, you don't think the AI gets enough advantages at immortal/deity? You want to give them techs galore (they get noble level results)?

to hell with that.

Huts are unpredictable. I don't like things that are unpredictable.

Why play Civ? The whole game is unpredictable. Unpredictability is the spice of life. You gotta have a little or it's no fun.

You probably knew I'd say that, didn't you? But you didn't know I'd say Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers!

Why play Civ? The whole game is unpredictable. Unpredictability is the spice of life. You gotta have a little or it's no fun.

You probably knew I'd say that, didn't you? But you didn't know I'd say Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers!

He got a point here; that's why I (at least) keep the random events, which is less unfair than huts. It is true that huts make AI too powerful; I've seen many cases through the graphs where it almost resembles to a step function. Meanwhile, I only got one or two techs in average.

Top Bottom