Members' Artwork

Obviously you need some reference to paint something that detailed, in this case some photos. It is better to paint from a model but i know nobody patient enough to stand barefoot on top of a table for hours and i cant see my own foot from that angle.

The basis for painting is drawing. Once you dominate drawing, which implies understanding perspective, volume, lights and in the case of human body some anatomy, you can do whatever you want, be it oil painting, watercolor, or even sculpture. It is only a matter of transferring your knowledge to a certain medium. Oil paint is the most powerful medium and in some way the easiest one since like in textmode art you can always redo your errors.

That means I need to brush up on drawing basics and take the time to learn perspective, volume, lights, etc. Human body is especially my weak point, and like I said I do know these things, but have basically figured them out by trial and error. I could probably benefit from re-learning them properly from first principles in an academic fashion.

Are there any good videos or books you recommend for mastering drawing parts of the human body?

Lots, But my favorite is Glenn Vilppu. He is a grand master on the matter. You can find some free lessons in youtube.

^Wow...

Hm, I am trying to adapt a short story of mine (the one I created an indie game for, last year), to graphic novel form.
It's not easy, though.
Does this look very bad? (current state of the first two pages)

upload_2022-3-23_0-1-29.png

upload_2022-3-23_0-1-50.png

@Ferocitus

@Kyriakos Some assorted opinions I have on what you posted, but Disclaimer: I have never put together a graphic novel so I lack a certain context:

- I think the grainy look is cool and can work, but nothing in the images really stands out so you end up focusing in a lot of the grainyness (as a viewer/reader). I don't know if that's a problem or what I'd do about it, but that seems to stand out for me a bit.
- The hand grabbing the door in the 3rd panel looks weird to me.. It also seems to imply an odd approach to the door. I don't know if this is easy, but if the hand was reaching towards the door.. and if it was a bit on the right hand side of the knob, that would IMO look a lot more natural.
- IMO there is probably a better way to visually convey a locked door. Maybe the hand on the door again and "He's jiggling the handle" visuals? I dunno.
- I would also maybe change that "It is locked!" from something that appears at the bottom in the box, and blow it up a bit as text overlaid right above the door, in a cartoony sort of style. Curve it maybe even. Emphasize it. IT IS LOCKED! I would probably be tempted to do this with a couple other of the panels too, split it up so that some of the text is in boxes, but some appears differently.
- I am noticing odd horizontal lines on the door in some of the panels. It makes it look like the door is.. a smaller part of the door, if that makes sense.
- A knocking hand should look more like a fist
- In the last 2 panels there's an emphasis on the fact that the piece of paper was put down on the chair, but that fact seems irrelevant to the story at large (I could be wrong about that though)
- When it says "This is the way", the viewer should probably be looking at the door.
- I noticed that some of the panels with text in them were narrow, they would probably look better wider, so there is more text per line
- Sorry for being so critical. I don't think it looks bad, but those were all my criticisms, if I was being forced to share them

Thank you both :)

Yes, it is very grainy - this can actually be fixed; I can render at a much higher resolution or with more rendering circles.
The chairs do play a role - they are all to be filled with messages from beyond the door.
I agree about the hand in the third panel, it will likely change in a future version.

So, heres henry tudor at the battle of bosworth wip....still lots of highlighting and shading to do any suggestions?

Interesting choice, but I should note that the Welsh flag is white at the top and green at the bottom, rather than a left/right split.

Interesting choice, but I should note that the Welsh flag is white at the top and green at the bottom, rather than a left/right split.
I based it off info here. I figured henry would wear his company flag on his horse. And yes! I do plan to depict William Brandon racing with the standard towards Edward's charge. In any case, vertical seems better for the graphic composition :D

I paint (acryllic), once in a while. Mostly post it to social media. Hopefully this upload works.

(Rideau Canal at Sunset)

Spoiler :

Ok, @Arakhor convinced me on changing the back panel, actually i like the horizontal composition better! How about painting the besagews as rosettes? Too much?

It's ornate armour: I think it works fine. :)

Ok henry is done, on to richard

An older piece I never released.. until I found it again and touched it up a bit and released it in our milestone LAZ15 pack

Check out the whole pack here. Warning: Some content might not be suitable for work or family dinners (although there's nothing that obscene there)

I now have a working scanner.

This is the last drawing that I did before having to give up back in 2014.

I don't have many other drawings as I've only really started again in the past year and that's mostly practice, but I do have two other drawings.

Top Bottom