Members' Artwork

warpus

In pork I trust
Moderator Action: These posts have been moved from the cool pictures thread into their own!

I drew this. I call it Get a move on (geta it?)

If anyone here speaks Japanese to any legitimate degree, please let me know where I messed up and how

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend sent me a textmode logo that says LOFI and I just ran with it and this is where we're at now. It had a graffitti feel to it so that's what I tried to stick to

I'll probably keep working on it more. None of the textmode art scene people are here so they'll never get to see this though, only people who don't care about the scene at all will see it. and that's amusing enough to post this. The final result of this will be released in an art pack in about a week or so

TBH, it looks kinda inappropriate :lol:.

The heart or the multiple severed heads?
The coat of arms of the Hungarian town Komádi might be more to your liking. :)
View attachment 615208

Also the multiple lions and sabers etc.
Not sure if this one is better though :lol:.

TBH, it looks kinda inappropriate :lol:.

Also the multiple lions and sabers etc.
Not sure if this one is better though :lol:.
It seems like an overly harsh criticism of the town's barista.

I drew my favourite scene from the new Dune movie using ASCII characters

This was assembled using 9 different ascii characters and 3 different colours. Work was done using the keyboard to put each character & colour combo in place, and some copy + paste using the mouse

This was released in the brand new Lazarus pack, which I had been working to assemble over the last couple weeks (and months really)

Please be aware that there are 5 BARE TEXTMODE BREASTS in this pack, so it is not work friendly if you happen to be in a place where bare textmode breasts are not work appropriate

I call this piece "Arrival" as a sort of nod to the director

I was honoured to have been invited to join in an annual textmode calendar project that some of the best textmode artists in the world participate in every year. It's basically a textmode calendar you can print out. This year's theme was "ANSI Ladies".

I was given the month of May to draw for so I drew Mae West

Now.. This calendar was supposed to be G-rated and family friendly, but one of the artists ended up drawing something somewhat questionable. So be warned and probably do not open the following link around coworkers, wives, or children. It's nothing extreme, but it will basically remind you of hentai

The full calendar can be found here

If you want to print this out and put it up on your wall or whatever, click on the PDF found at the bottom of the linked page, or grab it here

Last edited:
^Very cool, Warpus :D
I hope we will work together in some project in the future.

Thanks! If your project has any promise (once presented in detail, etc.) it might be possible for me to get more textmode artists on board. Cool projects tend to attract textmode artists who often are also looking for inspiration in terms of what to draw for. Having said that there's also been a bunch of lack of motivation and lethargy going around, in part influenced by the pandemic, so it might not be easy to convince people to draw either

Thanks! If your project has any promise (once presented in detail, etc.) it might be possible for me to get more textmode artists on board. Cool projects tend to attract textmode artists who often are also looking for inspiration in terms of what to draw for. Having said that there's also been a bunch of lack of motivation and lethargy going around, in part influenced by the pandemic, so it might not be easy to convince people to draw either
On the other hand, the pandemic has sometimes sparked creativity, as people have more time to tap into their artistic side now that they're not rushing around town so much.

I joined several cross-stitch and 3-D needlepoint groups on Facebook during the past few months (just got notified of another acceptance a little while ago). I'm looking for new patterns and ideas.

@warpus When do the NFTs go on the market?

On the other hand, the pandemic has sometimes sparked creativity, as people have more time to tap into their artistic side now that they're not rushing around town so much.

I joined several cross-stitch and 3-D needlepoint groups on Facebook during the past few months (just got notified of another acceptance a little while ago). I'm looking for new patterns and ideas.

That's true, but so many people are just .. exhausted.. mentally or not. So many everchanging pressures put on parents, employees, etc. In the textmode art scene a lot of people have been affected by this in that sort of fashion.

I admit I have more time myself, as i work from home, and basically save like 2+ hours every day at least, not having to commute. That sort of time adds up. I have a lot more time to do whatever I want.

It hasn't exactly translated to productivity though. I'm.. tired. And so are a lot of other people. Everything's just catching up with everyone.

@warpus When do the NFTs go on the market?

They probably won't. NFTs are still a bit of a novelty in the textmode art scene and some artists are against them for various reasons. Some artists have started minting their own original textmode art as a way to protect it though. We've had a case of somebody (who we don't know or have heard of before) stealing some of our art and minting it as NFTs, for sale. We've had them taken down by contacting the marketplace and the user is now banned.. but it took a bit of time to convince them that the art does belong to us. We were told that it would have gone a lot quicker if we had NFTs minted of it, then it would have been really easy to get the offending art taken down. So some artists have started minting their original art for this reason - to protect it. A lot of it isn't even for sale, it's just minted as a sort of copyright protection mechanism.

The vast majority of textmode art I've seen minted as NFTs is people from outside of the core scene, meaning it's people who are not in our various chatrooms and are not releasing in our art packs. Some of these people are no doubt artists from the 90s who have returned to this medium but instead of joining our jolly scene have instead opted to do their own thing on the blockchain. One of them ended up in one of our chatrooms eventually, but it's often not easy to figure out how to contact these people when you find their art on the blockchain. Finding a new textmode artist in the wild is exciting for us :) It's either somebody new who has embraced the art form, which is rare (but happens) or somebody who has been inactive since the 90s, which is exciting as well.

My own art group has for now minted a grand total of 5 NFTs on the carbon neutral WAX blockchain. After the initial drop (of 4) we are for now going with 1 special A set of sort of special collectibles that are "dropped" during an online event where we get together, chat, draw, and maybe expose some new people to the art medium. One of our members is an expert in event organization and knows all sorts of interesting people so we just sort of let her go wild and organize this event. We were supposed to have DJs spinning tunes but that part didn't end up working out. The DJs were available, but we didn't end up needing music. The collaborative drawing part of it was pretty successful though. It was also cool to finally talk to some of these people and hear their voice and see their faces and so on.

We are sort of progressive types, so we also like to promote a green alternative to the NFT nonsense that everyone here has no doubt heard of. That's why you can buy one of our NFTs for just over $1 (and not $500,000) and why we are running everything on WAX, which is carbon neutral.

In the end this is all about having fun for us, but if we can convince some people to embrace a green alternative to the insanity, and if we can introduce some new people to the art medium, and draw some art along the way, and maybe make some new friends, then that's a win/win/win/win/win.

If you want to buy any of our NFTs you can do so here. As you can see we haven't exactly cared too much to advertise this. I mean, we have, but our objective is mainly to have fun, and not to make money (or destroy the environment)

If you are honestly curious to buy any of the calendar pieces as NFTs, I would have to talk to the Blocktronics crew about it. They are separate from my group (Lazarus), but we're all friends pretty much

Last edited:
It's creepy, which I assume is a good thing.

That's true, but so many people are just .. exhausted.. mentally or not. So many everchanging pressures put on parents, employees, etc. In the textmode art scene a lot of people have been affected by this in that sort of fashion.

I admit I have more time myself, as i work from home, and basically save like 2+ hours every day at least, not having to commute. That sort of time adds up. I have a lot more time to do whatever I want.

It hasn't exactly translated to productivity though. I'm.. tired. And so are a lot of other people. Everything's just catching up with everyone.

They probably won't. NFTs are still a bit of a novelty in the textmode art scene and some artists are against them for various reasons. Some artists have started minting their own original textmode art as a way to protect it though. We've had a case of somebody (who we don't know or have heard of before) stealing some of our art and minting it as NFTs, for sale. We've had them taken down by contacting the marketplace and the user is now banned.. but it took a bit of time to convince them that the art does belong to us. We were told that it would have gone a lot quicker if we had NFTs minted of it, then it would have been really easy to get the offending art taken down. So some artists have started minting their original art for this reason - to protect it. A lot of it isn't even for sale, it's just minted as a sort of copyright protection mechanism.

The vast majority of textmode art I've seen minted as NFTs is people from outside of the core scene, meaning it's people who are not in our various chatrooms and are not releasing in our art packs. Some of these people are no doubt artists from the 90s who have returned to this medium but instead of joining our jolly scene have instead opted to do their own thing on the blockchain. One of them ended up in one of our chatrooms eventually, but it's often not easy to figure out how to contact these people when you find their art on the blockchain. Finding a new textmode artist in the wild is exciting for us :) It's either somebody new who has embraced the art form, which is rare (but happens) or somebody who has been inactive since the 90s, which is exciting as well.

My own art group has for now minted a grand total of 5 NFTs on the carbon neutral WAX blockchain. After the initial drop (of 4) we are for now going with 1 special A set of sort of special collectibles that are "dropped" during an online event where we get together, chat, draw, and maybe expose some new people to the art medium. One of our members is an expert in event organization and knows all sorts of interesting people so we just sort of let her go wild and organize this event. We were supposed to have DJs spinning tunes but that part didn't end up working out. The DJs were available, but we didn't end up needing music. The collaborative drawing part of it was pretty successful though. It was also cool to finally talk to some of these people and hear their voice and see their faces and so on.

We are sort of progressive types, so we also like to promote a green alternative to the NFT nonsense that everyone here has no doubt heard of. That's why you can buy one of our NFTs for just over $1 (and not $500,000) and why we are running everything on WAX, which is carbon neutral.

In the end this is all about having fun for us, but if we can convince some people to embrace a green alternative to the insanity, and if we can introduce some new people to the art medium, and draw some art along the way, and maybe make some new friends, then that's a win/win/win/win/win.

If you want to buy any of our NFTs you can do so here. As you can see we haven't exactly cared too much to advertise this. I mean, we have, but our objective is mainly to have fun, and not to make money (or destroy the environment)

If you are honestly curious to buy any of the calendar pieces as NFTs, I would have to talk to the Blocktronics crew about it. They are separate from my group (Lazarus), but we're all friends pretty much
Didnt understand a word. :cry:
I still use bristle hair brushes, oil paints and turpentine. Obviously i have been born too soon in a world too modern.

Are 3D printers being used yet to create paintings?

Sure you can understand English!

The world's always changing, but the best artists are usually good at the basics and at various types of art, modern or not, IMO
Could i do that NTF thing to an oil painting or
charcoal drawing or it must be some sort of computer art?

Could i do that NTF thing to an oil painting or
charcoal drawing or it must be some sort of computer art?

It can be basically anything you can think of, in theory at least. I quickly googled what you are asking and it seems it's already being done: https://www.instagram.com/nftoilpaintings/?hl=en

You can think of an NFT as a sort of proof of ownership that resides on a decentralized ledger.. like a book that has pages spread out all over the internet, and different people out there have keys that can unlock whatever they are storing in this book. When you buy an NFT, you are buying one of these keys and your key unlocks something specific in that book. The question of "What is stored in the book?" can be answered in many ways since you can pretty much store almost anything there, the only limit being how many bytes whatever you are storing takes up. The more you store, the more you will have to pay in transaction fees in order to store your data on the ledger. So a lot of NFTs are links to art that are stored elsewhere (If I understand this correctly), since a link doesn't take up much space at all.. and I think that's why a bunch of NFTs are pixelated and small.. but I could be wrong about that.

So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, I think. Personally I feel that if this technology survives, it will be used for various things, and one of them will be a sort of proof of ownership. So, if you own an expensive piece of art, or some antique collectible, or some unique lego set, or anything of value.. When you buy it, it could one day come bundled with an NFT (key) that is essentially your proof of ownership OR proof that you are the original creator. This ledger stores all these details in a public way so that anybody can look it up and see who originally minted it and who currently owns it. Meaning that if you were ever to want to sell your collectible, the buyer might want proof that it isn't a fake, and you'd shown him the NFT. This is basically the same thing as a certificate these days comes with collectibles that is signed and stamped, etc. except that in this case the technology 100% proves that your certificate is genuine.. i.e. can't be faked. I am not sure exactly how you tie the NFT to the physical object and prove that they are connected, but I assume there's ways of doing that, since some sports card and other collectible companies have started using NFTs for this purpose.

Some companies are using the technology to bundle NFTs with a ticket for some event. So.. I have a friend who went to a rave and as part of that she got an NFT (a slightly more expensive package I think). This NFT gave her access to some things at this event, such as a VIP tour of something, I can't remember the details. It also gave her access to some other stuff outside of this event, I think a discount on a rave cruise or something like that? So.. in your scenario, you could in theory do something like this if you ever have an exhibit where your art is shown. How exactly would be up to you and your imagination, pretty much. I've seen some sports teams bundling NFTs with season tickets and regular tickets as well, and IIRC it gives you access to some extra things at the stadium or whatever. So basically.. that sort of approach

So yeah, NFTs aren't always weird pictures of slightly different apes that you can buy as digital art. The technology is a lot broader than that. The apes is just one implementation of it, and it's caught on for whatever reason.

So.. as of now, you have these options:

1. Mint your oil painting as an NFT in an attempt to sell digital collectible versions of your art. So basically.. You could paint something on a real canvas and then take a picture of it and mint 100 copies of it as sort of digital collectibles for your fans to own. Why would anyone want to own a digital version of your painting? I dunno but some people like to collect things. If you are the one who painted AND minted the NFT, this would be reflected on the ledger, and this could excite some collectors *shrug*. If you end up being famous one day in theory these 100 digital copies could be one day worth something, which is perhaps why some people might be tempted to buy one. It's basically like buying trading cards, except you are really buying keys that unlock these digital pictures that live on a ledger. SO, in theory you could do this as a way to promote your art maybe, I'm not really sure. It probably depends on your target market. From what I understand a lot of artists who dabble in this space will hold events to advertise the "NFT drop", and that creates a buzz and puts more eyes on their art, which is in part why they do it. Some of them are looking to make money, but not always. Some NFTs can be bought for $1 or less. So.. Just in this 1 point there's varying reasons why you'd be tempted to do something like this

2. Mint your oil painting as a sort of proof that you are the original creator and that you own it, and not put up the (one) NFT for sale. Then if one day somebody rips you off, you have an easy way to show that you are the creator and owner. I have a friend who is doing this with some of his original art - some of it was stolen and somebody was making $$ selling it online.. It took some doing to get it taken down, the marketplace wanted definite proof that the art is really my friend's creation. After this hassle he decided to simply mint all his original art so that next time it will be a lot easier to prove that he's the artist who created it, and owns it. So yeah, you don't need to put up your art for sale as an NFT. You can just mint it for other reasons and specifically indicate that it's not for sale. There's carbon neutral blockchains like WAX and other cheap blockchains that allow you to do this on the cheap, so you don't have to spend a lot of money minting your art. on WAX you can mint for a couple cents, I think.

3. You can use your oil painting and insert it into a sort of algorithm that generates similar art somehow, and then mint 100 different versions of it. This is more complicated and I can't find an example of somebody doing this, but I remember reading about something like this. So basically.. You could take your original painted art, take a picture of it, and then convert it to different things somehow. Maybe one of them will be pixelated, another one uses inverted colours, or whatever. Then you can sell these digital variants of your original art and hold an event, in an attempt to put your eyes on your art. If you get a following, in theory that would mean that more people would be tempted to buy the actual physical art. So .. this is similar to 1. but a bit more complicated.

Just some ideas. I'm a bit under the weather today and am on tylenol.. No idea what I caught, hpoefully not the rona.. but.. either way I'm a bit out of it, so I hope my post makes sense :) I'm not an NFT expert by any means, but I feel that I have a decent grasp of what the technology is and how it can be used. And I do know people who are using it as a sort of proof of ownership like I said. I feel that this usage of NFTs will only get more popular (but I could also be wrong). IMO the people who are selling apes for $200,000 each or whatever are exploiting the human nature of wanting to collect unique things, and the fact that there's people out there have more money than they know what to do with.

Last edited:
It can be basically anything you can think of, in theory at least. I quickly googled what you are asking and it seems it's already being done: https://www.instagram.com/nftoilpaintings/?hl=en

You can think of an NFT as a sort of proof of ownership that resides on a decentralized ledger.. like a book that has pages spread out all over the internet, and different people out there have keys that can unlock whatever they are storing in this book. When you buy an NFT, you are buying one of these keys and your key unlocks something specific in that book. The question of "What is stored in the book?" can be answered in many ways since you can pretty much store almost anything there, the only limit being how many bytes whatever you are storing takes up. The more you store, the more you will have to pay in transaction fees in order to store your data on the ledger. So a lot of NFTs are links to art that are stored elsewhere (If I understand this correctly), since a link doesn't take up much space at all.. and I think that's why a bunch of NFTs are pixelated and small.. but I could be wrong about that.

So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, I think. Personally I feel that if this technology survives, it will be used for various things, and one of them will be a sort of proof of ownership. So, if you own an expensive piece of art, or some antique collectible, or some unique lego set, or anything of value.. When you buy it, it could one day come bundled with an NFT (key) that is essentially your proof of ownership OR proof that you are the original creator. This ledger stores all these details in a public way so that anybody can look it up and see who originally minted it and who currently owns it. Meaning that if you were ever to want to sell your collectible, the buyer might want proof that it isn't a fake, and you'd shown him the NFT. This is basically the same thing as a certificate these days comes with collectibles that is signed and stamped, etc. except that in this case the technology 100% proves that your certificate is genuine.. i.e. can't be faked. I am not sure exactly how you tie the NFT to the physical object and prove that they are connected, but I assume there's ways of doing that, since some sports card and other collectible companies have started using NFTs for this purpose.

Some companies are using the technology to bundle NFTs with a ticket for some event. So.. I have a friend who went to a rave and as part of that she got an NFT (a slightly more expensive package I think). This NFT gave her access to some things at this event, such as a VIP tour of something, I can't remember the details. It also gave her access to some other stuff outside of this event, I think a discount on a rave cruise or something like that? So.. in your scenario, you could in theory do something like this if you ever have an exhibit where your art is shown. How exactly would be up to you and your imagination, pretty much. I've seen some sports teams bundling NFTs with season tickets and regular tickets as well, and IIRC it gives you access to some extra things at the stadium or whatever. So basically.. that sort of approach

So yeah, NFTs aren't always weird pictures of slightly different apes that you can buy as digital art. The technology is a lot broader than that. The apes is just one implementation of it, and it's caught on for whatever reason.

So.. as of now, you have these options:

1. Mint your oil painting as an NFT in an attempt to sell digital collectible versions of your art. So basically.. You could paint something on a real canvas and then take a picture of it and mint 100 copies of it as sort of digital collectibles for your fans to own. Why would anyone want to own a digital version of your painting? I dunno but some people like to collect things. If you are the one who painted AND minted the NFT, this would be reflected on the ledger, and this could excite some collectors *shrug*. If you end up being famous one day in theory these 100 digital copies could be one day worth something, which is perhaps why some people might be tempted to buy one. It's basically like buying trading cards, except you are really buying keys that unlock these digital pictures that live on a ledger. SO, in theory you could do this as a way to promote your art maybe, I'm not really sure. It probably depends on your target market. From what I understand a lot of artists who dabble in this space will hold events to advertise the "NFT drop", and that creates a buzz and puts more eyes on their art, which is in part why they do it. Some of them are looking to make money, but not always. Some NFTs can be bought for $1 or less. So.. Just in this 1 point there's varying reasons why you'd be tempted to do something like this

2. Mint your oil painting as a sort of proof that you are the original creator and that you own it, and not put up the (one) NFT for sale. Then if one day somebody rips you off, you have an easy way to show that you are the creator and owner. I have a friend who is doing this with some of his original art - some of it was stolen and somebody was making $$ selling it online.. It took some doing to get it taken down, the marketplace wanted definite proof that the art is really my friend's creation. After this hassle he decided to simply mint all his original art so that next time it will be a lot easier to prove that he's the artist who created it, and owns it. So yeah, you don't need to put up your art for sale as an NFT. You can just mint it for other reasons and specifically indicate that it's not for sale. There's carbon neutral blockchains like WAX and other cheap blockchains that allow you to do this on the cheap, so you don't have to spend a lot of money minting your art. on WAX you can mint for a couple cents, I think.

3. You can use your oil painting and insert it into a sort of algorithm that generates similar art somehow, and then mint 100 different versions of it. This is more complicated and I can't find an example of somebody doing this, but I remember reading about something like this. So basically.. You could take your original painted art, take a picture of it, and then convert it to different things somehow. Maybe one of them will be pixelated, another one uses inverted colours, or whatever. Then you can sell these digital variants of your original art and hold an event, in an attempt to put your eyes on your art. If you get a following, in theory that would mean that more people would be tempted to buy the actual physical art. So .. this is similar to 1. but a bit more complicated.

Just some ideas. I'm a bit under the weather today and am on tylenol.. No idea what I caught, hpoefully not the rona.. but.. either way I'm a bit out of it, so I hope my post makes sense :) I'm not an NFT expert by any means, but I feel that I have a decent grasp of what the technology is and how it can be used. And I do know people who are using it as a sort of proof of ownership like I said. I feel that this usage of NFTs will only get more popular (but I could also be wrong). IMO the people who are selling apes for $200,000 each or whatever are exploiting the human nature of wanting to collect unique things, and the fact that there's people out there have more money than they know what to do with.
Wow, thanks. So it is basically a digital certificate which uses blockchain. Don't see it that different of traditional art then, which has also become a way of "exploiting" rich people who like to have unique things and/or speculate with them, not matter the real artistic value or interest of the item. Only thing that changes is the way of doing it.

Wow, thanks. So it is basically a digital certificate which uses blockchain. Don't see it that different of traditional art then, which has also become a way of "exploiting" rich people who like to have unique things and/or speculate with them, not matter the real artistic value or interest of the item. Only thing that changes is the way of doing it.

Yeah, basically. The art part of it is just one of the use cases people have thought up.

You should post some of your oil paintings here btw!

Yeah, basically. The art part of it is just one of the use cases people have thought up.

You should post some of your oil paintings here btw!
Well, i have a bit abandoned my artistic facet being busy with real life and such. Last thing i made was like a year ago and it was... a foot!

Screenshot_2022-01-20-23-16-22-846_com.miui.gallery.jpg

It is basically an unfinished excersice. I was somewhat tired of always painting alla prima and tried something new.
This grisaille made in oil paint was supposed to be coloured using the glazing technique like the old masters did, but obviously i painted it too dark for that, so it will remain grey forever.

Oh that's really nice! I love the details. Parts of the human body can be soo tough to get right and you pretty much nailed it. No pun intended until after I read what I wrote

Did you have a reference photo while painting this?

I know nothing about painting techniques other than what I learned at a sexual innuendo loaded "Paint Nite" event where I painted some trees and my name signed in the snow using a suspicious yellow substance. Not very classy, but I thought it was appropriate for the event, and ended up being a big hit. I did alright but I would not know where to begin drawing a detailed foot like that.

I also wish I had more time for art. Maybe once I retire I can take some courses and learn some of the basics of painting and other art forms. Everything I know has pretty much been picked up by trial and error, aside from the basics I learned in grades 1-6 or whatever, such as primary & opposite colours, perspective, etc. And with textmode art a lot of it is experimentation, so you can easily try to see if the background looks good in red, and if it doesn't you can easily undo what you did and try something else.

Top Bottom