Mesoamerican Galley

I was thinking about creating one of those. You don't think it will stand out a little too much though, from the rest of the ships?
Absolutely not!

I honestly think... you could take a model like this as your base design:

Just give it one (or two, as the model above has) of your own Meso-sails, "wooden-up" the pontoons and the deck (kinda like your Meso Galley), and you've got a native-looking ship IMHO.

Like I said earlier, I'd call it the "Meso-Caravel" and your current meso-caravel looks more like a war-galley/galleass...

But that's beside the point... Make a meso catamaran... I think if you just "wooden it up" and slap your meso sail on it, it would blend-in beautifully!

I'm not sure if that ship would look right for a frigate.. I mean I would have to stick cannons on there somewhere. :lol: It looks more like a peaceful ship.

I agree with you on the caravel with the war towers on it, it doesn't really fit I guess. But then Aztec explorers were probably more warlike and bloodthirsty than European explorers, so it could make sense that their ship reflects that. ;)

I'm not sure if that ship would look right for a frigate.. I mean I would have to stick cannons on there somewhere. :lol: It looks more like a peaceful ship.

I agree with you on the caravel with the war towers on it, it doesn't really fit I guess. But then Aztec explorers were probably more warlike and bloodthirsty than European explorers, so it could make sense that their ship reflects that. ;)
I'm not saying call this a Frigate with cannons... I'm saying make a Catamaran and call it a Meso-Caravel (a more peaceful ship is fitting for a Catamaran design)... it can have arrows (your current Meso-Caravel has arrows). If you want, retro-fit the current Meso-Caravel (the one with the towers) with some cannons and make it a cannon-firing War Galley like the European Medieval Galleass or the Asian kobukson (turtle ship).

I'm not really talking about a Meso-Frigate... that's another matter... this would just be a way of making a very unique ship for the Meso-Americans... and a pretty cool one at that IMHO. Also, lots of modders and mods use war galleys and galleasses, so it's not like anything would "go to waste" here... I am already using your "Meso-Caravel" for a "Meso-Galleass".

Well, for the ships the Frigate will probably come first. I'll probably make another Caravel because I might be able to use it for a modern workboat, with a reskin and some attachments. Would that kind of ship be appropriate for a workboat?

Catamaran just smacks of Caravel in my mind. Don't know why... it just does... it also doesn't hurt that your current "Caravel" scares the bejebies out of me... definately seems much more like a ship of war then a caravel... which is why I suggest what I suggest.

P.S.
The Polynesians explored the Pacific in large Catamarans... a somewhat primitive people that did great seafaring exploration in Catamarans, so I guess that's why I see something similar (Catamaran = Caravel) for the Meso Americans.

I simply love them! :goodjob: They're wonderful!

Would that kind of ship be appropriate for a workboat?

To be honest, your galley doesn't look anything like a galley at all. I'd shrink it a bit and use it as a work boat instead, and use another for the galley. Of course this is just my humble opinion

I tried to locate an image of a Mali ship but I couldn't. There is an old legend that Mansa Musa's uncle, and Malinese navigator, Abu Bakar II sailed to America. I don't remember the year but maybe someone will have better luck finding a depiction of this, and thus a model for an "african" ship. Just a thought.

I already did a pretty massive search for ancient african ships that weren't Egyptian or Carthagenian.... I pretty much drew a blank!

I already did a pretty massive search for ancient african ships that weren't Egyptian or Carthagenian.... I pretty much drew a blank!

Yeah me to.. have had no luck finding any usable pictures or drawings...

Yeah me to.. have had no luck finding any usable pictures or drawings...
I think it mostly has to do with the fact that outside of the Egyptians and Carthaginians, the Ancient Africans didn't do a whole lot of seafaring!

I think unit makers will have to use the old I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N to come up with some ancient African ships. Chuggi did a pretty good job with the Meso-Americans... throw some animal skins and tribal patterns and you can probably do a pretty good refresh of them into African ships, or something similar!

To be honest, your galley doesn't look anything like a galley at all. I'd shrink it a bit and use it as a work boat instead, and use another for the galley. Of course this is just my humble opinion

That's a good idea, using it as an ancient workboat. :D Maybe I can make the current Galley a bit more warlike, somehow.

I tried to locate an image of a Mali ship but I couldn't. There is an old legend that Mansa Musa's uncle, and Malinese navigator, Abu Bakar II sailed to America. I don't remember the year but maybe someone will have better luck finding a depiction of this, and thus a model for an "african" ship. Just a thought.

Thanks, I'll try some new searches with your info. :goodjob: If all else fails, then I may have to do what Wolfshanze said and use my imagination. I suppose an Egyptian styled ship, with a few Zulu modifications would look alright. There's also this ship which Geo found, which I'll definitely use for one or two African ships.

those are super nice!!! going strait into the ModCast :)

Thanks, sounds cool. :goodjob:

Thanks, I'll try some new searches with your info. :goodjob: If all else fails, then I may have to do what Wolfshanze said and use my imagination. I suppose an Egyptian styled ship, with a few Zulu modifications would look alright. There's also this ship which Geo found, which I'll definitely use for one or two African ships.

If all else fails, you could always adapt a galley or trireme with a lion, rhino -or elephant bow or something.

I still think you could "borrow" a bit from the Minoans or Phoenicians and jazz them up a bit with some tribal patterns and/or animal skins/hides...

Minoan:

Phoenecian:

Not just for peace ;)

I think you could probably get away with a complete set of catamaran/trimaran ships from Galley to AEGIS.

Not just for peace ;)

I think you could probably get away with a complete set of catamaran/trimaran ships from Galley to AEGIS.
By definition catamaran's don't have large central hulls in the water... there are definately modern military catamarans, but that's not one of them.

A true catamaran floats on the outer hulls...

By definition catamaran's don't have large central hulls in the water... there are definately modern military catamarans, but that's not one of them.

A true catamaran floats on the outer hulls...

Hence why I said catamaran/trimaran ;)

Yes, the Triton is a trimaran and not a catamaran. And yes, the pic you provided is of a catamaran.

That could work out to be really time consuming though, especially as I've never made a modern ship before. :lol:

Top Bottom